The official "Holy shit! Scott Weiland is still alive?" Thread.

mdigenakismdigenakis Posts: 1,337
edited August 2008 in Other Music
Does this amaze anybody else?
"Don't let the darkness eat you up..."

-Greg Dulli

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    What amazes me more is the amount of people who still spend money on seeing this talentless washed up ego maniac.....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • its a shame the dude is wreck because i do believe he is a good leadman
    MSG II 6/25/08
  • Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,696
    He may be alive but his career is dead
  • probably wont be much longer, but then again Axl Rose is still alive.
  • kcherubkcherub Posts: 961
    He's still alive?!? ;)
    I still want you all to "take care"--I am just damn tired of typing it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/kcherub#p/a/u/0/N-UQprRqSwo
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    its a shame the dude is wreck because i do believe he is a good leadman

Agreed.
  • Weiland is an amazing talent. Anyone who dont know that. Dont know about music. Great singer/great performer. The total package.
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    seriously, not a fan of STP and/or scott weiland, fair enough...but the man IS talented, period. i *just* saw STP last night and they kicked-ass! scott's voice was in top form, the band was tight and we had a BLAST! loved it! it IS a total shame how much of his life and talent has been wasted, such is the evils of heroin, eh? i sincerely hope for himself, he gets his life together, gets back to making music....and finds his own way. i most definitely would go see STP again and again, buy their albums if they indeed ever put out more, etc. LOVE em. and yes, i love scott too! :p STP is great to me! so yes, perhaps amazing he managed to live thru all of it...but i for one am HAPPY he's still around, and hope he continues to make music!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    seriously, not a fan of STP and/or scott weiland, fair enough...but the man IS talented, period. i *just* saw STP last night and they kicked-ass! scott's voice was in top form, the band was tight and we had a BLAST! loved it! it IS a total shame how much of his life and talent has been wasted, such is the evils of heroin, eh? i sincerely hope for himself, he gets his life together, gets back to making music....and finds his own way. i most definitely would go see STP again and again, buy their albums if they indeed ever put out more, etc. LOVE em. and yes, i love scott too! :p STP is great to me! so yes, perhaps amazing he managed to live thru all of it...but i for one am HAPPY he's still around, and hope he continues to make music!

Whilst I dont condone, or advocate the use of hard drugs such as the brown stuff, do you think his music would have been the same without it? Quite a lot of their music was obviously wrote about and whilst under the influence of it.

Holy shit I just got confused by this? reading your post back, you say your not a fan of STP or Scott, you went to see them, they were brilliant on top form, you love them and would see them again and buy any more music they put out???:eek: Somewhere I'm missing something here and I aint sure what?:p
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,334
    I'm with you man! I can't beleive how harsh people are with Scott around here. We all know he has probs but the absolute vile thats spoken toward him is uncalled for IMO.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Whilst I dont condone, or advocate the use of hard drugs such as the brown stuff, do you think his music would have been the same without it? Quite a lot of their music was obviously wrote about and whilst under the influence of it.

Holy shit I just got confused by this? reading your post back, you say your not a fan of STP or Scott, you went to see them, they were brilliant on top form, you love them and would see them again and buy any more music they put out???:eek: Somewhere I'm missing something here and I aint sure what?:p
    D2D was saying if OTHER people aren't fans, fine, but they have to recognise his talent. She wasn't saying she isn't a fan.

Myself, I don't rate STP much and VR were shite. I guess Scott has some talent but he's a poser first and foremost and that's what this is all about. Too caught up in his own image as a rock star to realise that he's ruining himself. It's a damn shame. He's certainly got some good songs in him. I like a handful of STP tunes enough to realise there's talent being wasted.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    D2D was saying if OTHER people aren't fans, fine, but they have to recognise his talent. She wasn't saying she isn't a fan.

Myself, I don't rate STP much and VR were shite. I guess Scott has some talent but he's a poser first and foremost and that's what this is all about. Too caught up in his own image as a rock star to realise that he's ruining himself. It's a damn shame. He's certainly got some good songs in him. I like a handful of STP tunes enough to realise there's talent being wasted.

Thanks, I've worked over 14 hours today lol, maybe a quote on her post would have made the picture a little clearer for me haha.:)
  • release30release30 Posts: 2,051
    I just need him to make it to Aug. 19 and 20...Then if he needs rehab...O.K.
    Conversations getting dull
    There's a constant ringing in my ears
    Sense of humor's void and numb
    And I'm bored to tears.......
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    I'd love to go see STP on this tour
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • shermsherm Posts: 708
    I hope he gets his shit together someday soon. I guess I've been fortunate, STP rocked Detroit, and the 2 times I saw VR he was great at those shows also. I'd love to get a chance to see them again.
    Detroit 03, Toronto 03, Toledo 04, Kitchener 05, London 05, Cleveland 06, Detroit 06, Cincinnati 06, Chicago 07, Mansfield 08, EV Chicago 08, East Troy 11, Pensacola 12, EV Jax 12, Wrigley 13, Pittsburgh 13, Dallas 13, OKC 13, Detroit 14, Ft Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jax 16, Sea 18 
  • muiren77muiren77 Posts: 3,511
    seriously? he still is?
    what is essential is invisible to the eye

apparently, 07162056 is THE date...
  • Who ever said someone who uses drugs "doesn't have their life together".
    Who ever said someone who uses drugs "doesn't have their life together".

using drugs, no....abusing drugs, yea...don't have your life together. you end up in rehab multiple times, arrested multiple times...infringes on your life, your talents, potential, etc....to me anyway, signifies you don't have your life together. you disagree, c'est la vie. all opinion.

as to scott, i don't understand the disrespect. scott is no ed, STP is no pearl jam...but damn, a very talented singer/writer/performer and i say the same for the band. they are just so different. as is my habit after seeing a band live, usually break out their catalogue and get listening. STP has not a one album that i dislike, solid tunes on every album, sure some have more gems than others. i LIKE weiland's stage antics, his 'rock star' personality, all of it. brilliant. i find him extremely talented, extrmely entertaining and i do so wish he'd make more new music. i did see him in his VR days and again, he was great....but VR was just not my thing; too much GnR, not enough STP for my tastes. hell, i'd help scott onto his road to recovery....;) hahaha.

seriously, while i *get* the humor and/or point of the first post and the mock surprise weiland is still alive and well, to me....none too amusing. a life is a life, and he may battle his demons and all..i just hope jhe manages to come back on top. it is just too sad to see anyone lost to addiction, but when someone touches you with their music, such promise and talent...hate to see that disappear.

btw - whoever asked about creating music sans the drugs...i dunno? as mentioned, the man has an enormous talent imo, so i am sure it would've manifested itself. beyond that, plenty of artists, musicians, wirters, etc...used all sorts of drugs, etc, so i fail to see the point really? drugs may exhibit some influence over the work, perhaps...no real way of knowing...but without the ability and innate talent, it wouldn't much matter. so yes, i don't think the drugs have anything to do wioth what he's created, if anything they have done more to destroy him. hope he finally gets past it all.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• What amazes me more is the amount of people who still spend money on seeing this talentless washed up ego maniac.....

ouch lol
    "Up here so high the sky I scrape,
    I'm so high I hold just one breath here within my chest,
    Just like innocence."
  • fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,734
    btw - whoever asked about creating music sans the drugs...i dunno? as mentioned, the man has an enormous talent imo, so i am sure it would've manifested itself. beyond that, plenty of artists, musicians, wirters, etc...used all sorts of drugs, etc, so i fail to see the point really? drugs may exhibit some influence over the work, perhaps...no real way of knowing...but without the ability and innate talent, it wouldn't much matter. so yes, i don't think the drugs have anything to do wioth what he's created, if anything they have done more to destroy him. hope he finally gets past it all.

I dunno....Ozzy and MetallicA have both been terrible since drying up. There have been others, as well. I think the same demons (if you will) that drive someone to be that talented (and let's face it, you have to be a bit different to be that talented) are the same demons that drive someone to drink & drug. To quit the drink or drug changes the creativity. It seems. Just a theory. :)
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
    fanch75 wrote:
    I dunno....Ozzy and MetallicA have both been terrible since drying up. There have been others, as well. I think the same demons (if you will) that drive someone to be that talented (and let's face it, you have to be a bit different to be that talented) are the same demons that drive someone to drink & drug. To quit the drink or drug changes the creativity. It seems. Just a theory. :)

agreed. 100%. :)

however, beyond that...changing it does not necessarily mean for the worse. will it be different, perhaps..probably. will it be better or worse, only time will tell. hell, look at pearl jam. i think pearl jam is at top form and yet, soooo different right now from where they once were. ed isn't nearly as angry, far more reflective and understanding....and dare i say it? content and happy. :) LIFE changes us all, in time.

also, fully agree to be THAT talented one usually a bit *different* in some way, and drugs and/or alcohol may be an influnece for some, even a lot...but the talent and ability has to be there. some can get past it all, flourish, do more with themselves, others...not so much. i can think of many, many world famous artists who were total straight arrows, of those who used/abused/cleaned up...and still great, etc. obviously, there is influence. just how MUCH, depends on the artist, and if he/she can move beyond it all. i'll hope for weiland, and for those of us who are fans, that he CAN get past it and STILL be creative. even a different creativity. could eve be better....
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

So, we must infer that the riot act album was written & recorded while entirely sober?

Let's face it - for the talent to change THAT much - no wine for Ed, no weed for Mike, and no Sunny Delight for Jeff.
    fanch75 wrote:
    So, we must infer that the riot act album was written & recorded while entirely sober?

Let's face it - for the talent to change THAT much - no wine for Ed, no weed for Mike, and no Sunny Delight for Jeff.

:D

i seriously laughed out loud for that. thank you. :)

ya know, i WAS thinking, no, not about riot act ;)...but simply about many, many artists who 'jump the shark' as it were, with no 'excuse' such as drugs an alcohol...and i would guess, just creativity...gone. just like that. the fact that any human being can create even one sublime work of their art in their lifetime is an amazing achievement, so for anyone to do so many times over is an unbelieavable achievement and a testament of talent. some can do so for a lifetime, many more simply fade away...but none the less, still accomplished and talented, even when it diminishes or disappears. if weiland never created anything else of substance musically, i still would say he's made quite an impression and expressed his talented enormously. same as many, many artists. i hope he has more in him, definitely hope he doesn't descend into mediocrity - i'd rather he quit while he's ahead - but yea, i am hopeful. :)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I heard that. Weiland has been a part of a lot of great music, some of the genre's best. No doubt. Hell, I even like Weiland's "12 Bar Blues" opus and think much of it is genius (tho some of it is like "whoah dude, no more smack for you!").

At the end of the day, the rock and roll world has been generous to Scott from a financial/celebrity point of view, but if he is to be healthy in the long run, it's probably best that he retire from music. The rock and roll lifestyle is just too alluring for him as an addict. No one casually does heroin and just quits. He's an addict. He has stated on air that he is covering up his heroin addiction with weed & alcohol. It won't last. Who makes great decisions when they are that lit?

For Scott to get healthy, and stay there, he probably needs to leave music and leave the road.

And for us that sucks. :( But that's what is best for him.

And Just. Say. No. to Jamily Posters. And I get to see Dokken tomorrow (or later today).
    fanch75 wrote:

Cough, splutter, Chris Cornell, cough, cough.
  • Back_PedalBack_Pedal Posts: 1,171
    I own four STP albums (Got their 2001 record today actually) and they did catch a bad rap for their first album...it seems one single forever solidified them as PJ knock-offs, which is really unfair. But yes, Scott is an asshole and a junkie. I don't think that will ever change.
    Thanks EPOTTSIII!
    "Vinyl or not, you will need to pay someone to take RA of your hands" - Smile05
    424, xxx
  • mdigenakismdigenakis Posts: 1,337
    muiren77 wrote:
    seriously? he still is?
    that was my reaction
    "Don't let the darkness eat you up..."

-Greg Dulli

Back_Pedal wrote:
    I own four STP albums (Got their 2001 record today actually) and they did catch a bad rap for their first album...it seems one single forever solidified them as PJ knock-offs, which is really unfair. But yes, Scott is an asshole and a junkie. I don't think that will ever change.

i never understood this. granted, i came to pj and stp later in the game, never watched mtv, etc....but i just don't see/hear it. at ALL. i can't even think of one song of theirs that i think is like pj. i think stp and pj are quite different to say the least. i actually became an stp fan before i fell in love with pj a few years later. i own every album they have ever put out and i find gems on each and every one. the band is talented and solid, EVERY one of em, and every member. as to scott being an 'asshole and a junkie'...as i don't know him personally, can't truly say he's an asshole....and in regards to being a junkie, i prefer to refer to most in his position as addicts. whatever.

and fanch, i hear ya. it probably would be for the best for him, but part of me wishes that somehow he'll be able to move past it, keep writing and performing. we shall see. however, yes...i far rather he stop now than kill himself living the rock and roll lifestyle. for selfish reasons i wish he'd find his balance. :) either way, i will continue to enjoy their wok for my lifetime. just would love to se them more and more live. :D

btw - i was reading bass player magazine the other day - b/c my husband is a bass player and pointed out the article to me - and it included an interview with rob deleo. one of the last questions was about scott and his addiction, and how his drug habits had been overshadowing the music recently and how he felt about it. also if he thought they'd record more music. deleo's response: obviously, very polite about it...but also quite telling. said how scott's drug habit always overshadowed the music, and sure...how they were never happy about it. and just said for now, just got back together after 6 years, enjoying playing together again, see how it goes and take it from there. seems like a good plan. :)

after just seeing them at jones beach last week i wanted to see em again and scoured the area but alas, no more shows in my area. hope they do make their way back, on all fronts.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...