Which Drive-By Truckers album...

mdigenakismdigenakis Posts: 1,337
edited March 2008 in Other Music
...should i buy? I 've been hearing alot about this band in the pit, so i DL a few of their songs (Women w/o Whiskey, Dead, Drunk, and Naked) and i like them so far. Much appreciated.
"Don't let the darkness eat you up..."

-Greg Dulli

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mdigenakis wrote:
    ...should i buy? I 've been hearing alot about this band in the pit, so i DL a few of their songs (Women w/o Whiskey, Dead, Drunk, and Naked) and i like them so far. Much appreciated.

i just started w/ decleration day...decoration day. Whatever it is haha. I think that's a pretty good starting point. I also think starting w/ the first album is always a good idea too.
    "Everyone is a patriot in some form or another.... i prefer the intelligent ones."

"She fell funny"

"Klaus Daimler, 40, engineer, calm, collected, German"
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Decoration Day or The Dirty South....then "Southern Rock Opera" or the newest album.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    tybird wrote:
    Decoration Day or The Dirty South....then "Southern Rock Opera" or the newest album.

thumbs up from me for this one.:)
    Although Birmingham and Angels and fuselage are probably my two currently most listened to tracks both off SRO.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • NakedClownNakedClown Posts: 545
    Can't go wrong with any of them... but I would go this way:

Decoration Day
    Dirty South
    SRO
    Brighter than Creation's Dark
    Blessing & a Curse
    Gangstabilly
    Pizza Deliverance...
    Alabama Ass Whuppin...
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Posts: 2,994
    I agree. Just go with that Naked Clown said, although I'd maybe move A Blessing and a Curse down a bit.
    NakedClown wrote:
    Alabama Ass Whuppin...
    Is this one available again???
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    tybird wrote:
    Is this one available again???

Don't think so, but the band has ok'd posting the mp3's. I forget where I pulled them down from though.

I'd pick them up in this order:

Southern Rock Opera
    Dirty South
    Decoration Day
    Gangstabilly
    Blessing and a Curse
    Brighter than Creations Dark
    Pizza Deliverance
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    merkinball wrote:
    Don't think so, but the band has ok'd posting the mp3's. I forget where I pulled them down from though.

I'd pick them up in this order:

Southern Rock Opera
    Dirty South
    Decoration Day
    Gangstabilly
    Blessing and a Curse
    Brighter than Creations Dark
    Pizza Deliverance

I'd flip the first two, SRO is totally cool and all but Dirty south is thier best record, it has their best songs on top of it (like the first and last tracks on that album are probably my 2 favorite DBT songs just ask Itunes playcounts and it has putting people on the moon which is probably #3)
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
    mrwalkerb wrote:
    I'd flip the first two, SRO is totally cool and all but Dirty south is thier best record, it has their best songs on top of it (like the first and last tracks on that album are probably my 2 favorite DBT songs just ask Itunes playcounts and it has putting people on the moon which is probably #3)

Yeah, but as much as I love Patterson, the Buford songs get a little long, which always puts me off. And Cottonseed is usually a skipper, although its great live. SRO is such a great, cohesive disc. Plus it was the first I picked up, so I've got a soft spot for it.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

• ISUalISUal Posts: 40
    I'm a bit of a DBT fanatic (they are my favorite band, just ahead of PJ) and I would recommend starting with Decoration Day (my personal favorite) as a great representation of their range of sounds. It sounds like what you've heard so far came from Southern Rock Opera which is their most classic rock sounding album, and probably my second fav after DD. Their most recent album, Brighter Than Creation's Dark is amazing as well, and showcases more of the subtleties of their music, while throwing in some great rockers. If want to put your head through the wall, go SRO, if you want to chill and find some beauty go BTCD, and if you want a little of both go DD, or The Dirty South. Blessing And A Curse is great in its own right and features less of a traditional southern sound, and more of a Petty meets the Replacements feel. Every one of their albums is great, and has its own character, but I wouldn't get Gangstabilly and Pizza Deliverance until you've got Trucker fever, as they are more appealing to the hardcore than the novice.
    "I know I was born, and I know that I'll die, but in between is mine..." Ed
  • NakedClownNakedClown Posts: 545
    I typically would say DS, too - but I've been on a bit of a DD kick lately... it's a hell of a record...
    ISUal wrote:
    but I wouldn't get Gangstabilly and Pizza Deliverance until you've got Trucker fever, as they are more appealing to the hardcore than the novice.
    I agree...great point
  • i would definitely say The Dirty South or Decoration Day are the best albums to start with.
    ISUal wrote:
    Every one of their albums is great, and has its own character, but I wouldn't get Gangstabilly and Pizza Deliverance until you've got Trucker fever, as they are more appealing to the hardcore than the novice.

Now I would disagree for Gangstabilly. While granted the production is lacking, it's got some essential tracks. Tough Sell and Panties in Your Purse are both classics from Patterson and Cooley, but the fact that it has such essential DBT tracks as Living Bubba, 18 Wheels, Steve McQueen, and Buttholeville make it a core disc for me.

• direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    This band is incapable of releasing a bad album, so you can't go wrong with any of 'em. But if you're new to their music I'd definitely start with either Decoration Day or The Dirty South and then move on from there.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
    merkinball wrote:
    Now I would disagree for Gangstabilly. While granted the production is lacking, it's got some essential tracks. Tough Sell and Panties in Your Purse are both classics from Patterson and Cooley, but the fact that it has such essential DBT tracks as Living Bubba, 18 Wheels, Steve McQueen, and Buttholeville make it a core disc for me.

I don't argue at all that there are some essential tracks on Gangstabilly, as I would say Panties in Your Purse, Living Bubba and Buttholeville are some of my fav DBT songs, but if your just looking into the Truckers I just don't feel it (and to a lesser degree Pizza Deliverance) is the best place to start.
  • augustwestaugustwest Posts: 739
    mdigenakis wrote:

the live music archive

http://www.archive.org

that site should keep you real busy and just buy a tshirt and a ticket when they come around next.

live music is better
    ISUal wrote:
    I don't argue at all that there are some essential tracks on Gangstabilly, as I would say Panties in Your Purse, Living Bubba and Buttholeville are some of my fav DBT songs, but if your just looking into the Truckers I just don't feel it (and to a lesser degree Pizza Deliverance) is the best place to start.

Right, but I wouldn't pick it (Gangstabily) up last either. That's why I put it in 4th place.

• soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    As a recent convert I have to recommend The Dirty South.

I've yet to complete my collection, but I can say that nothing else I've heard yet compares to that album. It's probably one of my all-time favorites after less than 6 months of ownership.
    Oh, and pick up the Live at the 40 Watt DVD too. Captures the band right when the Dirty South cd came out. I know there are portions of it playing on my cable channels 'free' video on demand service this month, via concert.tv.

merkinball wrote:
    Oh, and pick up the Live at the 40 Watt DVD too. Captures the band right when the Dirty South cd came out. I know there are portions of it playing on my cable channels 'free' video on demand service this month, via concert.tv.
    If you do iTunes....there's a six sampler of the 40 Watt stuff available in audio form.
    Now that you guys say it, honestly, watching 40 Watt cranked to 11 with a cheap 12 pack might be the best way to introduce one's self to the Truckers...
    ISUal wrote:
    Now that you guys say it, honestly, watching 40 Watt cranked to 11 with a cheap 12 pack might be the best way to introduce one's self to the Truckers...

Do it DBT style. Jack Daniels and PBR!

• sadprofessorsadprofessor Posts: 1,034
    I think Dirty South is a better record, but Decoration Day is a better introduction to the band. If that makes sense. I just hear a better sampling of what the Trucker's do on Decoration Day. Maybe it's just me.

That said, I would go like this:

1. Decoration Day
    1. Dirty South (You can't go wrong with either one)
    3. Southern Rock Opera
    4. Brighter Than Creation's Dark
    5. Pizza Deliverance
    6. Blessing and a Curse
    7. Gangstabilly

Although I maintain, that if you combine the best stuff from Pizza Deliverance with the best stuff from Gangstabilly you would have the best Trucker's record ever. Clearly they hadn't perfected editing themselves back then ;)

My iTunes playcounts seem to favor SRO but that's just because Cooley's stuff is so ridiculously good on that record.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    Southern Rock Opera is the first one I ever got and it's probably still my favorite.
    I guess I'd recommend getting them in this order to someone who is new to the band.

1) Southern Rock Opera
    2) Decoration Day
    3) The Dirty South
    4) Brighter Than Creation's Dark
    5) Pizza Deliverance
    6) Gangstabilly
    7) A Blessing And A Curse

That being said, Gangstabilly has one of their greatest songs in The Living Bubba . As others have mentioned, the official DVD release is great and there are many shows up at the Live Music Archive.
    Be sure to check them out live if they come to your area as they are one of the very best live acts on the planet today. I'm seeing them again in New Haven, NYC, and Philly this week & am very excited.
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
  • augustwestaugustwest Posts: 739
    merkinball wrote:

i played live the 40watt dvd for a friend and he was instantly converted...that dvd is one of the best live dvd's ever

also a note...lately shonna is touring with the letters "FNW" on her geetar...i heard its on cooley's banjo as well...just in case ya didn't know their record label is New West and ummm ill letcha figure out what the F stands for ;)

bottomline is i dont think that band could care less if you supported their label...just buy a ticket, see the show, tell your friends and go to archive.org!
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Posts: 2,994
    Here's what I learned today:

Dead = Kurt Cobain
    Fat = Axl Rose
    Rich = Courtney Love
    Red Lukin wrote:
    Here's what I learned today:

Dead = Kurt Cobain
    Fat = Axl Rose
    Rich = Courtney Love
    Yes sir...they all fit the adjective "self-destructive" :D
  • spnoonespnoone Posts: 628
    i started with decoration day then pizza deliverance and for the last year i've pretty much neglected all other bands.

i'd say start with 1) decoration day 2) the dirty south 3) brighter than creation's dark 4) pizza deliverance 5) southern rock opera 6) sirens of the ditch 7) a blessing and a curse 8) gangstabilly 9) killers and stars 10) alabama ass whuppin 11) town burned down.

that's not necessarily how i'd rank my favorites, just how i'd introduce them to someone, factoring in album length and sequencing and production and such.
  • rhinomagicrhinomagic Posts: 2,549
    Decoration Day is your best starting point, in my opinion.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020