Cold War Kids

mdigenakismdigenakis Posts: 1,337
edited May 2007 in Other Music
I'm looking to get some new listening and these guys have some good songs. Their lyrics for the few songs i've listened to are condensed life stories. They have a very black and white movie feeling to them, whatever that means. remind me a bit of Jeff Buckley. I can't emphasize the lyrics on this one song especially titled "we used to vacation", just hard hitting lyrics.
"Don't let the darkness eat you up..."

-Greg Dulli

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Awesome band.

Seeing them live next month.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    they're going to be at lolla. i wanted to like them, but i think they're kinda boring. i've only heard a few songs though.
  • iamsampjiamsampj Posts: 784
    they're going to be at lolla. i wanted to like them, but i think they're kinda boring. i've only heard a few songs though.
    boring?!? what?!? oh...that's it. you're going to march straight the front of the stage w/ me to see them...they're AMAZING!!! i saw them here in orlando at the social...these guys are all over the stage during their set. i swear the bass player nearly knocked me out multiple times w/ his guitar.

i've been in love w/ them since i first heard hospital beds on a cd at work. their lyrics, to me, seem to tell stories set in the 40s or something. maybe equivalent to your "black & white movie" feel, mdigenakis.

but...to each his own. it's not for everyone i'm sure :)
    yes...i do feel like a human. i do not feel like a tree.
  • Great band !
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    I just happen to be listening to them here at work....

I've seen them twice and they are a marvelous fusion of of jazz, rock, blues, funk, disco, pop; crash and clanging....quite original and really a breath of fresh air in music.

And the bass player is one funked out, fantastic spastic dude.

Great band.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • I've wanted to hear these for a while based on liking their name. I've just gone to MySpace and hey, I like it, another newish band who aren't crap. Cool :)
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • vmfuryvmfury Posts: 1,091
    Good stuff. :)
    We’ll meet again, but not yet…not yet. 
    iamsampj wrote:
    boring?!? what?!? oh...that's it. you're going to march straight the front of the stage w/ me to see them...they're AMAZING!!! i saw them here in orlando at the social...these guys are all over the stage during their set. i swear the bass player nearly knocked me out multiple times w/ his guitar.

i've been in love w/ them since i first heard hospital beds on a cd at work. their lyrics, to me, seem to tell stories set in the 40s or something. maybe equivalent to your "black & white movie" feel, mdigenakis.

but...to each his own. it's not for everyone i'm sure :)

maybe i need to listen to hospital beds again then, cos that is the song i find incredibly boring above all the others. or maybe i just have a shitty copy. it sounds like it's coming out of a tinny am radio.
  • evoevo Airdrie, Scotland Posts: 185
    i'm going to see them next Thursday in Glasgow. Can't wait!!
    Hail Hail
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Awesome band.

hey snap!!! :D:D
    oh wait no i don't see them until june 1st. sorry got a bit excited there. :D:D

maybe i need to listen to hospital beds again then, cos that is the song i find incredibly boring above all the others. or maybe i just have a shitty copy. it sounds like it's coming out of a tinny am radio

interesting. hospital beds is the song i have the most difficulty with as well. tell me in the morning is my fave thus far.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    maybe i need to listen to hospital beds again then, cos that is the song i find incredibly boring above all the others. or maybe i just have a shitty copy. it sounds like it's coming out of a tinny am radio.

i think hospital beds appealed to me because i really love songs w/ piano...some emotional element or something?!? try "st. john"...probably my favorite song live. they go freakin' nuts...quite a fun thing to see live.
  • BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    hey snap!!! :D:D
    oh wait no i don't see them until june 1st. sorry got a bit excited there. :D:D

interesting. hospital beds is the song i have the most difficulty with as well. tell me in the morning is my fave thus far.

sounds like a band an old lady trying to be hip might latch on to.
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.
  • they're going to be at lolla. i wanted to like them, but i think they're kinda boring. i've only heard a few songs though.

They might have some faults, but being boring is definately not one of them. I think they are totally unique, which is a breath of fresh air these days. Granted, some of their songs sounds like they dropped some acid before they recorded them but at least they have a distinct voice and point of view. I think they're pretty interesting. Better than 90% of the crap that's being churned out lately.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
    Brainofdz wrote:
    sounds like a band an old lady trying to be hip might latch on to.

you mean like when white boys try to rap and talk street? :p
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    you mean like when white boys try to rap and talk street? :p

no, of course, I don't mean anything like that biatch.
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

Brainofdz wrote:
    no, of course, I don't mean anything like that biatch.

well then you seem to be under the false presumption that music has an age relevance attached to it. biatch. :p
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    well then you seem to be under the false presumption that music has an age relevance attached to it. biatch. :p

not so much age as age attached to decent taste to begin with, I suppose.

• JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    Their album is pretty good.
    I bought tickets to see them in two weeks in Brussels, in a 500-persons venue...
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
    Brainofdz wrote:
    not so much age as age attached to decent taste to begin with, I suppose.

well according to the poseurs, pixies are a mark of good taste and i'm listening to them, so then score for me!! :D:D:p
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    saw them opening for CYHASY couple of month ago and liked them so much I booked tickets for Koko next month.
    haven't properly listened to the album though...but live they rock!
    iamsampj wrote:
    i think hospital beds appealed to me because i really love songs w/ piano...some emotional element or something?!? try "st. john"...probably my favorite song live. they go freakin' nuts...quite a fun thing to see live.

i really enjoy we used to vacation and hang me p to dry... but yeah, the piano driven thing just felt too... gavin degraw for me or something. im really sick of those soulful white balladeers and their pianos ;) but i downloaded a new copy of hospital beds last night and the quality is MUCH better. i havent listened yet, but i already enjoyed it more. im not writing them off yet, just not really blown away. i feel the same about the annuals. my gf and i are splitting up the lolla lineup to preview as many bands as we can ;)
  • rybesrybes Posts: 136
    Definitely cannot wait to see them live at Lolla, I hope they are as good as on their record. Quite fantastic in my opinion.
    rybes wrote:
    Definitely cannot wait to see them live at Lolla, I hope they are as good as on their record. Quite fantastic in my opinion.
    They are, Rybes...they really are.

You'll be pleased.

FaceSpace
    They might have some faults, but being boring is definately not one of them. I think they are totally unique, which is a breath of fresh air these days. Granted, some of their songs sounds like they dropped some acid before they recorded them but at least they have a distinct voice and point of view. I think they're pretty interesting. Better than 90% of the crap that's being churned out lately.

that's the thing, they didnt seem distinct to me. they seemed like most of the other piano pop people. i've only heard a few songs though. im not giving up yet.
    i really enjoy we used to vacation and hang me p to dry... but yeah, the piano driven thing just felt too... gavin degraw for me or something. im really sick of those soulful white balladeers and their pianos ;) but i downloaded a new copy of hospital beds last night and the quality is MUCH better. i havent listened yet, but i already enjoyed it more. im not writing them off yet, just not really blown away. i feel the same about the annuals. my gf and i are splitting up the lolla lineup to preview as many bands as we can ;)

don't give up on them yet...i think seeing them live will help. they're should definitely not be categorized w/ gavin degraw...i've never heard him before, but it sounds like some howie day wanna-be ;)

annuals must be seen in order to appreciate. they were fantastic when i saw them open for tapes 'n tapes. but i fall asleep when i try and listen to them at work.

if you need a concert buddy for any of the bands...just let me know ;)
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    i dig 'em. and they're gonna be at lolla? dammit. DAMMIT.
    Good God....for the first time in a long time I listened to DeGraw's "Chariot" and then I come in here and read this???

Psychic or psychotic...? ;)

Keep digging into CWK...they will hook you. Just ask the girlfriend who, just this week, screamed at me that she can't get their tunes out of her head since I took her to one of their LA shows back in February.

Hooked.

FaceSpace
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    saw cold war kids ysterday in Brussels.
    They were awesome !
    They really are one of those bands to se live. The energy is realy good. The guys have fun and we hd fun with them. The singer's voice is as good as on the album.
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • blue rosesblue roses Posts: 49
    Awesome band.

ı love their sound
    ı wish ı could see them too
  • PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754