Manic Street Preachers

mdigenakismdigenakis Posts: 1,337
edited July 2007 in Other Music
I caught them playing on an older episode of Later....w/ Jools Holland and i've been really into them since then (about 2 weeks). Listening to "A design for llife" right now.
"Don't let the darkness eat you up..."

-Greg Dulli

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    yeh i have been a fan for few years. They are good.. seen them 3 times live :)
  • mdigenakismdigenakis Posts: 1,337
    I BrisK I wrote:
    yeh i have been a fan for few years. They are good.. seen them 3 times live :)
    I DL a few of their songs, do you have any recommendations? A specific album choice?

-Greg Dulli

• reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    mdigenakis wrote:
    I DL a few of their songs, do you have any recommendations? A specific album choice?

The Holy Bible is by far the best album they have ever recorded and one of the best British albums of the 90's.
    Generation Terrorist and Gold Against the Soul are both good as well.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    mdigenakis wrote:

yes

everything must go
    gold against the soul
    generation terroists

those 3 albums first then

know your enemy
    this is my truth tell me yours
    send away the tigers
    holy bible

then if you love them listen to lifeblood
  • stateoflove79stateoflove79 Posts: 2,845
    Been listening to the Manics alot lately...here are my fave songs...

Roses In The Hospital
    Life Becoming A Landslide
    Born A Girl
    Little Baby Nothing
    4st 7lb
    Yes
    Motorcycle Emptiness
    Enola/Alone
    Winterlovers
    Faster
    Is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
    Motorcycle Emptiness
    I was listening to this song while driving along an open highway. Just great.

-Greg Dulli

• fadafada Posts: 1,032
    their new album is a right return to form.
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    love this band

send away the tigers is a solid album with two fucking awesome songs
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    I BrisK I wrote:
    yes

everything must go
    gold against the soul
    generation terroists

those 3 albums first then

know your enemy
    this is my truth tell me yours
    send away the tigers
    holy bible

then if you love them listen to lifeblood
    what's with the order? are you saving the best til last or do you not like The Holy Bible?!
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    The Holy Bible contains a subtle sound during This Is Yesterday......... can somebody please acknowledge that the melody is in part Last Christmas by George Michael. dont worry this is not a test.
    elmer wrote:
    The Holy Bible contains a subtle sound during This Is Yesterday......... can somebody please acknowledge that the melody is in part Last Christmas by George Michael. dont worry this is not a test.
    I believe it is, or at least inspired by it. James certainly covered the song acoustic several times, although you probably know that?

I was also shocked to find that This Is Yesterday was actually written by Nicky, since the subject matter is very much in the style of Richey. one of my favourite songs anyway.

"I repent, I'm sorry, everything is falling apart"
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I believe it is, or at least inspired by it. James certainly covered the song acoustic several times, although you probably know that?

I was also shocked to find that This Is Yesterday was actually written by Nicky, since the subject matter is very much in the style of Richey. one of my favourite songs anyway.

"I repent, I'm sorry, everything is falling apart"
    a mate who was a major fan of the manics would just grunt when I pointed the similarity out to him, couldnt willingly accept anything that could be construed as negative about them.
    elmer wrote:
    a mate who was a major fan of the manics would just grunt when I pointed the similarity out to him, couldnt willingly accept anything that could be construed as negative about them.
    it's understandable really. I'm sure the reference to george michael was ironic anyway :P
  • seen em live 7 times since '96 i think!?!, can't quite remember

started listening to them in 1996 after i caught them supporting oasis at knebworth and 'australia' was the loudest thing i had heard to that date.

Holy Bible is an awesome piece of recording, recorded for next to nothing in the red light district in cardiff and during the time richey edwards was put in a mental hospital, its raw, pretty damn iconic and powerfull.

if you get the 10 yr anniversary of the album you get a dvd and it has a festival appearance on it(glastonbury?), JD Bradfield is fuckin intense round that period and nicky wire announces to the crowd 'think its time they built a fuckin bypass through here'...nice.

i digress....everything must go is awesome, tis is my truth has some really good songs on it but i found nicky wire's lyrics got a little 'me, me , me' during 'know your enemy' and i still haven't listened to 'lifeblood' even though its on my cd rack.

i stiil didn't pass up the chance to see them at leeds uni a couple of years ago, it was awesome, wall to wall 'bible'

james dean bradfield is a fantastic frontman, pretty fine guitarist, basically learnt all his moves from appetite for destruction, just got to watch an old bootleg from 92/93 and it makes you love 'em!

jeez, haven't thought about the manics for ages, turns out im a right geek! :)

leeds 26/08/06....electric
    paris 11/09/06.....crushed...but estatic
    wembley 18/06/07.....oh yes

'listen...you can hear the sustain...you just hold that note and you can go get a bite whilst its still going'

the legend , nigel tufnell
    The masses against the classes and motorcycle emptiness are probably my two fav songs.

-Greg Dulli