Help me out - great instrumental tracks

danielsondanielson Posts: 25
edited July 2006 in Other Music
I used to skip over instrumental tracks, which I've now learned was a horrible mistake.

Whale and Wasp - Alice in Chains
Hurts, Don't it - Jerry Cantrell
November Hotel - Mad Season

These three songs have inspired my to really look into finding some great instrumental tracks, because I think they are so amazing.

I've been listening to some Joe Satriani, amazing, and I just ordered his two disc anthology from amazon, can't wait.

I've listened to some of the lighter Zeppelin instrumentals, wasn't really digging them. The Sabbath stuff is okay, that even gets a little too light for my tastes.

I'm looking for what ya'll think is Clapton and Hendrix's best stuff, buckethead, maybe some of Jeff Becks harder stuff, or anything else you think is great, including more modern stuff by modern bands, I'm open to suggestions.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,236
    Since you seem to prefer the more hard driving type tracks, I'll only recommend

Pink Floyd- One of These Days.

It is *the* song that got me to listen to them.
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    Buckethead - Nun Chuka Kata
    J. Mascis - Maggot Brain
  • danielsondanielson Posts: 25
    Awesome fellas,

Just listened to "Nun Chuka Kata" - loved it

listened to "One of those days" - loved it

Am listening to "Maggot Brain" - am loving it. [edit] Am really loving it - wow.

Thanks guys, would love some more.
  • bryanfurybryanfury Posts: 460
    walking down the aisle- radiohead.

bloody great!
    those undecided, needn't have faith to be free
  • bucket1988bucket1988 Posts: 212
    The Allman Brothers Band has several good ones... Jessica... In Memory of Elizabeth Reed... Instumental Illness, to name a few.

I don't really like Umphrey's McGee, but that's because their singer sucks. Their instumental songs are pretty sweet. Try "Robot World" and "Miss Tinkle's Overture."

Bela Fleck and the Flecktones is a mostly instumental band, and they are incredible. Check out any of their live albums.

If you're into the blues thing, Kenny Wayne Shepherd's "Ledbetter Heights" (also the name of the album) is a good instumental.
    The words you say never seem to live up to the ones inside your head...
  • surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    Daniel Lanois - Sonho Dourado
    Stevie Ray Vaughn - Little Wing (the greatest display of guitar ever!!!!)
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • ok dude check out "orion" by metallica thats immense

and also "clubbed to death" by Rob Dougan - amazing.

let me know what you think :)
    2006 - Astoria, Dublin, Leeds
    2007 - London
    2009 - London, Manchester, London
    2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London
    2011 - Alpine Valley x2
    2012 - Isle of Wight, Manchester x2
  • Lost_ClayLost_Clay Posts: 1,085
    english pounds & tripping the alarm - Clutch
    "ah fuck it get in trouble"

06/29/03 09/22/05 09/24/05 09/25/05 05/09/06 05/10/06
  • La MerLa Mer Posts: 12
    La Mer and Just Like You Imagined by NIN
  • PJ-SinPJ-Sin Posts: 348
    Epilogue - OPETH from the album "My Arms Your Hearse" its a very Pink Floyd -ish jam at the end of this fantastic album
  • prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    (Anesthesia) Pulling Teeth
    Call of the Ktulu
    Orion
  • The Who - Sparks
  • Captain Beefheart & The Magic Band - Hair Pie, Bake 2
    Okay, I've gotten as much of this as I could find - this is what I think

Opeth - "Epilogue" - Wow, I had no Idea they were capable of this, I thought they were a heavy metal band. loved it, makes me want to hear more Opeth - if the singer is even a little bit of a singer, they have to be good

Metallica - "Orion" - I'll put this up their with "For Whom the Bell tolls" as my favorite thing Metallica has ever done.

"The Call of the Ktulu" - I really like this - not quite "Orion", but definately real good.

Loved the stuff by NIN

"Tripping the alarm" by Clutch - I was real excited as soon as I saw two Clutch songs on here, and my only dissapointment is that I couldn't find "english pounds". "TTA" is real cool, actually more bluesy and off center than I expected.

"Ledbetter Heights" - could tell from the very start I would like it - and it just builds and builds the whole track - awesome. Is the rest of the album like that? probably going to pick that one up.

Umphrey's McGee - I really liked "Miss Tinkle's Overture.", definately real real dope. Not so high on "Robot World"

The Allman Brothers stuff was great - actually listened to all of Elizabeth Reed, of course I've heard Jessica before. but how good is duane? one of the best.

chiefojibwa - I couldn't find anything you recomended, I'm going to keep trying.

I coudn't find the radiohead song, looking forward to hearing it.

I always love discovering new music, and all ya'll have been a huge help, since I liked almost everything you recomended.

Good times fellas. Thanks
  • leatherman_8leatherman_8 Posts: 107
    YYZ and La Villa Strangiato by Rush are both killer tracks
    Please don't smoke in smoke free buildings. You aren't cool, you're just an asshole
  • prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    Iron Maiden's Losfer Word (Big Orra) is good too. Not quite on par with Metallica's instrumentals though.

To Live is to Die is also technically an instrumental by Metallica, but one of Cliff's poems is read in respect so it's not wordless.
  • That Radiohead song is actually called "Meeting In The Aisle" not "Walking Down The Aisle" and is on the Karma Police single.
  • GuinessGuiness Posts: 46
    Check out "A Warm Place" by NIN from the Downward Spiral Album

I highly reccomend picking up anything by Mogwai. They are pretty much 100% instrumental. I saw them open up for The Cure, they are awesome. Check them out.
    I got scratches all over my arms, one for each day since I fell apart.

Me you wouldn't recall for I'm not my former.

St. Louis 10/11/00
    West Palm Beach 4/11/03
    Kissimmee 10/8/04
    West Palm Beach 6/12/08
    Tampa 6/13/08
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    YYZ and La Villa Strangiato by Rush are both killer tracks
    Those are the first two that came to my mind...........both are quite excellant. I also enjoy "After The Ordeal" by Genesis.....from the "Selling England by the Pound" lp.

Oh....I almost forgot to mention some King Crimson.........the title track from the album "Red", "Fracture" from the album "Starless and Bible Back" or "Asbury Park" from the live album "USA".
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Max_PowersMax_Powers Posts: 25
    Some more great NIN;
    Gone, Still
    The Persistence of Loss
    Leaving Hope

All from the "Still" album.
  • PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,018
    Guiness wrote:
    Check out "A Warm Place" by NIN from the Downward Spiral Album

exactly what i was gonna say. this is also one of the saddest songs i think and its just music. this blows any other instrumental ive heard out of the water. if i lived long enough to hear every piece of music ever written i dont think a single instrumental track would come close to touching me the way a warm place does.
    exactly what i was gonna say. this is also one of the saddest songs i think and its just music. this blows any other instrumental ive heard out of the water. if i lived long enough to hear every piece of music ever written i dont think a single instrumental track would come close to touching me the way a warm place does.

Wow, I can't wait to hear it from that description. I love a piece of music like that, something that is so emotional and meaningful without any words is such a powerful, powerful thing.

One I just remembered and listened to from my cd collection.

From "The Real Thing" by Faith No More, "Woodpecker from Mars"

Keep em coming guys, I'm going to get started on this second page of recomendations tommorrow.
  • magikevmagikev Posts: 296
    Check out Overture 1928, Erotomania, and Stream of Consciousness from Dream Theater.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    #34 - Dmb
  • Some other great NIN tracks-
    Just like you imagined
    The great below
    The mark has been made
    A warm place
  • toddiet123toddiet123 Posts: 271
    Every single song from Explosions in the Sky
    Every single song from Don Caballero
    Every single song from Mono
    99% of Dianogah
    80% of Mogwai' stuff (My Father My King to start with)
    Every single song from godspeed you black emperor!