Options

Matchbox Twenty - Should I like them?

sqwenosqweno Posts: 40
edited August 2008 in Other Music
Caught Matchbox Twenty on Live at Abbey Road last night and couldn't decide if I really liked them or thought they were a bit cliched. Maybe they can be cliched and it's ok still to like them!
I know they've been around a good while, but I can't really think of any of their older stuff - expect I'd know it if I heard it. Of course I know about the singer and that blasted Santana track, which is like, ok, the first 2000 times.
Thoughts? Thumbs up or thumbs down?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    illegal pantsillegal pants Posts: 13,471
    sqweno wrote:
    Maybe they can be cliched and it's ok still to like them!

absolutely, hence the title 'exile on mainstream' which is a tongue in cheek homage to that

i'm a massive fan, and yes, have got my fair share of shit from people here about liking them

don't let me or them sway your view on them, go buy their albums and let it take you wherever..

and if you get the chance, see a live show.. for i'm a bigger fan of their live stuff over studio albums..

check out the side projects too:

http://www.myspace.com/kyle_cook

http://www.myspace.com/thebreakandrepairmethod

finally, i always say.. i listen to matchbox twenty for the heart..

and pearl jam for the soul
    wah
  • Options
    Ah, that's a great way of putting it, thanks Pants.

I was chatting to my bloke the other day about how, since I had my kid (who's now 3 1/2) I haven't really connected to any album emotionally the way I used to.
    PJ, Chilis, Foos, Pumpkins, QOTSA... loads of others, I had albums I absolutely adored and played over and over. Never met a PJ album I didn't like and always guaranteed to find at least one track that had real resonance for me and I really felt spoke to me on some personal emotional level. But even the last PJ album didn't do that for me. I like the album ok, but there's not really one stand out track I could say I really fell in love with.
    I still feel the same way about all the old stuff, but I'm looking for a spark in something new - something that really speaks to me the way those other albums do.
    So, I guess having kids (apart from putting the squeeze on your listening time) really does change your priorities, and I'm guessing that's why I haven't found an album that speaks to me. That or I'm just a bit happier now than when all those rip-your-heart-out songs used to get to me!
    Anyway, listening to MT last night was the first time in ages I really pricked my ears up and thought, 'oh, interesting, I think I might really like this'. I guess because there was real lyricism, and I do tend to like clever lyrics that get you thinking.
    I will do as you recommend and explore some more. Thanks for taking the time to get back to me.
  • Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    Their debut "Yourself or Someone Like You" is a pretty damn good album!
    The rest is shit, pretty much the same stuff over and over again.

sorry Pants. We're still buddies, yes? :):p
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    JellyrollsJellyrolls Posts: 523
    The great thing about music is that you shouldn't have to ask people if you 'should' like them. If you like there sound, listen to them! Personally, I'm not that big of a fan. I can see why one would like them though.
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    I say run away, very, very fast.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    suns rivalsuns rival Posts: 15,926
    bright lights....;)
    scratching my butt...
    kinakamot ang aking puwit...
    me rascando pompis...
    krap mijn reet...
    boku no ketsuoana o kizu...
    bahrosh teezy...
  • Options
    pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Havent liked their stuff since the first couple records but they used to be pretty good. Excellent vocals and great hooks in their songs.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Options
    sqweno wrote:
    Ah, that's a great way of putting it, thanks Pants.

I was chatting to my bloke the other day about how, since I had my kid (who's now 3 1/2) I haven't really connected to any album emotionally the way I used to.
    PJ, Chilis, Foos, Pumpkins, QOTSA... loads of others, I had albums I absolutely adored and played over and over. Never met a PJ album I didn't like and always guaranteed to find at least one track that had real resonance for me and I really felt spoke to me on some personal emotional level. But even the last PJ album didn't do that for me. I like the album ok, but there's not really one stand out track I could say I really fell in love with.
    I still feel the same way about all the old stuff, but I'm looking for a spark in something new - something that really speaks to me the way those other albums do.
    So, I guess having kids (apart from putting the squeeze on your listening time) really does change your priorities, and I'm guessing that's why I haven't found an album that speaks to me. That or I'm just a bit happier now than when all those rip-your-heart-out songs used to get to me!
    Anyway, listening to MT last night was the first time in ages I really pricked my ears up and thought, 'oh, interesting, I think I might really like this'. I guess because there was real lyricism, and I do tend to like clever lyrics that get you thinking.
    I will do as you recommend and explore some more. Thanks for taking the time to get back to me.

cool.. makes total sense :) looks like i've come from the opposite side of things, started off loving mb20 and god knows what rubbish then i got into pearl jam and faced some hard times which opened a pandoras box of other music to listen to.. it's evolution baby? lol.. but i never let go of matchbox.. there's something special there..

what song did you hear on LFAR that got your attention?

as mentioned previously, the first album is probably their finest, closely followed by the 3rd.. the 2nd is overproduced (the band will admit that) but don't let that put you off as the gems are still there, heads up on 'rest stop' - one of my favourites from Mad Season

exile on mainstream is a good place to start i guess, being a greatest hits and all.. though i'm not too much of a fan of all new songs on the second disc (VERY different live.. :D)

yeh i really could go on all day about them..

they work their ass off live - on their latest Aussie tour they played a different Aussie cover every night.. here's a crowded house cover from the first gig of tour

Melbourne 1 - Better Be Home Soon

one of the guys doing their bootlegs worked on pearl jam's - yeh cool :D

ok i'll stop, feel free to PM with any questions/hate mail/etc
    wah
  • Options
    threefish10threefish10 Posts: 7,392
    feel free to PM with any questions/hate mail/etc

Hate mail PM coming your way.
    condescending and sarcastic since 1980
  • Options
    i'm left smiling just knowing you read that far down into this thread Glenn..

ha :)
    wah
  • Options
    muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    Should you like them? Does Eddie Vedder like them? No. Then absoutely not.
  • Options
    blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,508
    i think they're cliche
    but i still like em' :)

it's cool how they redid their older stuff. i enjoyed that.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    The solo on Bright Lights from Abbey Road reminded me a lot of McCready's style:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=46m0NChqhBE
  • Options
    edpearsonedpearson Posts: 331
    Asking others if you should like a band is just wrong. Did a bunch of people tell you that it's "cool" to like Pearl Jam, therefore you decided one day that you like them? When it comes to music, you and only you should decide for yourself if you like a band/artist/musician. Since you did ask the question, my answer to you is not yes or no, but seek out an album or two that comes highly recommended from Matchbox 20 fans. Then listen a couple of times because sometimes music needs to grow on you. You'll know after 3-5 times listening if you SHOULD like them or not.
    Rock on!
    ~Edward

===========================
  • Options
    The solo on Bright Lights from Abbey Road reminded me a lot of McCready's style:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=46m0NChqhBE

great video

he has an awesome voice too...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=mw-GfMXsLHw
    wah
  • Options
    great video

he has an awesome voice too...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=mw-GfMXsLHw

Holy shit! I had no idea he could sing like that!

It's weird becasue I'm not really a fan of the Beatles, but there are a fair few bands that have covered their tunes which I've really enjoyed. I think it might be Paul McCartney's voice or something.....
  • Options
    Holy shit! I had no idea he could sing like that!

It's weird becasue I'm not really a fan of the Beatles, but there are a fair few bands that have covered their tunes which I've really enjoyed. I think it might be Paul McCartney's voice or something.....

haha strange that!

Kyle's so talented, i wish i lived in the States and caught one of the gigs he did as lead with 'The New Left'

solo stuff from his coming SOON!
    wah
  • Options
    finally, i always say.. i listen to matchbox twenty for the heart..

and pearl jam for the soul

Atta Girl!! Poetry!

If they peeked your interest, give it a whirl and listen to more! Another one of those bands with songs and lyrics that can hit ya right where you need it when you need it. Enjoy!
    Nothing divine dies. All good is eternally reproductive. The beauty of nature reforms itself in the mind, and not for barren contemplation, but for new creation. ~ Nature, Emerson
  • Options
    Their first album is a great record, but they are way too inconistent in their later albums. I actually caught them on their last tour as my good lady is a big fan and they were really good live and Rob Thomas has one damn strong voice. I'd vote yes as they give 100%.
    'Everything has changed but absolutely nothing's changed'

New York: 09-10-98; London: 05-29-00; London: 05-30-00; Glasgow: 06-03-00; Dublin: 08-23-06; Reading: 08-27-06; Virginia Beach: 06-17-08; Washington: 08-16-08 (EV); Seattle: 09-21-09; Philadelphia 10-31-09; Bristow: 05-13-10; Belfast: 06-23-10
  • Options
    iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    I saw MB20 many years ago at the Patriot Center in Fairfax, VA. It was before I was a Lifehouse fan. They opened up for Mb20 and Everclear. I hated Lifehouse and could not wait for them to get off of the stage. I had a fun time b/c MB20 were so good! You could barely hear Art from everclear.

Anyway, I liked MB20, I had one or two cds....here's what Rob Thomas and Ed have in common:

they are both short, they both smoke on stage, they both use the F word alot, they both talk to the audience (rob tells stories, gives songs' histories) and they both have nice bodies and a vibrato when they sing.

however, I believe that you should listen to what you like and not consult the board. If you consult this board, you will be told to listen to the unwritten, approved synergy message pit list. From reading this board, I compiled a list of what I noticed the majority liked, not necessarily what I like (don't know where it is, maybe from 2006 threads) and MB20 is not on the list :p It is mainly Pearl Jam's friends, openers, or grungy stuff (mudhoney, Foo Fighters, Neil Young, Nirvana, etc.)

But I definitely like PJ better than MB20.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Options
    I saw them at Glastonbury ten years ago when the first album had just come out, and they were amazing - his voice is incredible live, he really got into it.
  • Options
    iluvcats wrote:
    here's what Rob Thomas and Ed have in common:

they are both short, they both smoke on stage, they both use the F word alot, they both talk to the audience (rob tells stories, gives songs' histories) and they both have nice bodies and a vibrato when they sing.

LOL :D

Rob's voice live is something..

looking forward to tour time next year
    wah
  • Options
    mbangel10mbangel10 Posts: 548
    sqweno wrote:
    Caught Matchbox Twenty on Live at Abbey Road last night and couldn't decide if I really liked them or thought they were a bit cliched. Maybe they can be cliched and it's ok still to like them!
    I know they've been around a good while, but I can't really think of any of their older stuff - expect I'd know it if I heard it. Of course I know about the singer and that blasted Santana track, which is like, ok, the first 2000 times.
    Thoughts? Thumbs up or thumbs down?

Rob's got an amazing voice, the band is good, and their music is enjoyable. What's not to like about them? :)
    Pitt 98, Pitt 00, Cleveland 03, Pitt 03, State College 03, Toledo 04, Toronto 05, Pitt 05, Cleveland 06, Pitt 06 & Chicago 07, Chicago 1&2 09, Philly 2,3,4 09, Cleveland 10, Columbus 10, Alpine Valley 1& 2 11
  • Options
    Hey everyone. Thanks for posting your replies. Sorry I ducked out there for a while. I appreciate you taking the time to offer your experience and suggestions - on the whole it seems to be a thumbs up, and I did like your man's voice and the lyrics, so will definitely give it a shot. Cheers.
    @EdPearson. I'm afraid I'm old enough to have liked Pearl Jam from the year dot. I think only the youngsters need telling they're 'cool'.
    Oh, and like, I did call on the opinions of the music fans I respect most in the world. ;-)
  • Options
    Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,886
    Looks this Monday 9/21 they are going to announce a limited edition box set for all their albums on vinyl:

https://matchboxtwenty.themerchcollective.com/collections/all
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

• Options
    I quite like North too. Kyle stands out for me-The Way is the best song on the album for me. I saw them at Vicar Street a few years back and they were great. Good solid band. Not my favourite but they don't have to be for me to enjoy listening to them (if that makes sense).
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • Options
    Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,886
    Finally got the shipping notice for the box set.. Been a long delay. Looking forward to this..
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby