Lollapalooza and After-Shows

GeorgeinNYGeorgeinNY Posts: 113
edited August 2006 in Other Music
Great festival, really so many great performances. The hype bands were Recontours and Wolfmother, Recontours sucked for my tastes(Rolling Stones/Velvet Revolver rip off and I hate Velvet Revolver), yes you can tell this is a supergroup and not a real band, My Morning Jacket put on a much better concert on the other stage at the same time. Wolfmother impressed me less than at Coachella, their cliched moves are getting older by the minute. BTW I just hate the push these two bands are getting while other great bands that have been around(like MMJ) seem to get ignored.
Also saw Mike Patton and Peeping Tom, for what its worth, it wasnt great, rap/rock reminiscent of some Faith No More, so I guess trying to get back in the mainstream. I think putting Manu Chao as closer on night 2 was also a big mistake, Flaming Lips should have closed the stage in retrospect.

But lets skip the bad the good were Flaming Lips, Ween, Be Your Own Pet(the singer is hardcore, she threw up on stage(heat exhaustion she said) but they still did another song after that. I saw all the jam bands there including umphreys McGee, Disco Biscuit, Benevento/Russo Duo, seeing them at 3PM in 90s heat kind of detracts from the experience. Saw Queens of the Stone Age, the crowd surfing was intense, at one point there must have been up to 10 people up in the air and it was tightly packed up front from what I saw. Oh almost forgot Go! Team what a great band, the girl lead singer I think shes gonna bring the knee high socks back in style...

The best shows for my money however were Sleater Kinney(btw the drummer is amazing probably the best drummer I heard all weekend, Keith Moon influenced mayhem) and Dresden Dolls, who put on another incredible show, and made many fans from the reaction of the audience, and the number of shirts worn the next day(btw- this festival was a t-shirt fashion show supreme).

For after-shows I was fortunate to catch Brain Damaged Eggmen at the Vic on Saturday (members of Umphreys McGee and Disco Biscuits) doing two sets of Beatles and Pink Floyd, a 3 hour plus show. This was a very hot ticket, people were desperate outside looking to get hooked up. Then on Sunday I caught Bustle in Your Hedgerow at Abbey Pub, this was Led Zeppelin jams by Benevento/Russo Duo(Marco Benevento is amazing on his organ/synth rig), Dave Dreiwitz of Ween on bass guitar, and Brendan Bayliss of Umphreys McGee on guitar, they played for 2 hours plus, needless to say you had to be there...

Almost forgot- I caught Perry Farrell at the kiddie stage, he did set of 4 songs just accompanied by acoustic guitar(includind Pets and Tahitian Moon), plus legendary Patti Smith who went on immediately after him and did three songs(including an anti-war speech and new song she just wrote about the war in Lebanon), it was amazing because there must not have been more than 200 people to see this....
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments