How Good is Modest Mouse

dirtyTdirtyT Posts: 3,620
edited February 2008 in Other Music
I admit I do not have much knowledge on them. I have only heard what is on the radio, but I love the song Missed The Boat. If I were going to buy one of their cd's, which one should I buy?

Thanks!
Cuyahoga Falls 98, Columbus 00, Cleveland 03, Columbus 03, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, Kitchener 05, Cleveland 06, Cincinnati 06, Washington DC 08, Philadelphia IV 09, Columbus 10, Cleveland 10, Chicago 13, Pittsburgh 13, Cincinnati 14, Chicago (1) 16, Chicago (2) 16
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• all very good but i luv "We were dead before the ship ever sank"
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    dirtyT wrote:
    I admit I do not have much knowledge on them. I have only heard what is on the radio, but I love the song Missed The Boat. If I were going to buy one of their cd's, which one should I buy?

Thanks!

Modest mouse is awesome.

This is hard to say because they have quite a long career. If you like missed the boat a lot and dug dashboard feel free to start with the newest album we were dead long beforethe boat sank. It has a ton of great songs and was one of my favorites from last year.

That said i find Oh Lonesome Crowded West to be my favorite. It is from the 90's and they just seemd to have a raw power to them back then that they have traded in for some polish now a days.

Moon & Antartica is also a very good album and that is the album i purchased first.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • The Moon And Antarctica....such a spacey CD and it flows amazing. I could picture every song and how it would flow together. I would love to see a "The Wall" type movie made out of this CD. Their best one IMO with Stars are Projectors, Came as a Rat, 3rd Planet, Perfect Disguise....fuck the whole CD is amazing!
  • I personally think all their albums have something very different to offer.... We were Dead is an excellent album.

My favorite is the Lonesome Crowded West, followed closely by Good News for People Who Love Bad News...

I think they are great...
    Drunk by noon but that's ok
    I'll be president someday

I have been to, and have the following posters framed:
    Hartford 96,
    Boston 98, 2000, 2003, 2004, 2006
  • Their new album is great. I love all of the songs on that one. Good News For People Who Love Bad News is also great IMO.
  • Start off with We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank if you like Missed the Boat. From there I would say your best bet is to work backwards to Good News For People Who Love Bad News, The Moon & Antarctica, and The Lonesome Crowded West. Every one of those albums has a lot to offer but the earlier ones need to grow on you.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    any modest mouse is good.. their lastest is probably the one to buy first off.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • KannKann Posts: 1,146
    that good. And I would start of with the moon & antartica because it's better than the last and makes you definitely want to hear more.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    they are very very very good. the moon and antarctica is the place to begin. enjoy.
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    They're deadly.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • dirtyTdirtyT Posts: 3,620
    thank you all for the imput, i appriciate it.
    Cuyahoga Falls 98, Columbus 00, Cleveland 03, Columbus 03, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, Kitchener 05, Cleveland 06, Cincinnati 06, Washington DC 08, Philadelphia IV 09, Columbus 10, Cleveland 10, Chicago 13, Pittsburgh 13, Cincinnati 14, Chicago (1) 16, Chicago (2) 16
  • fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,734
    They suck. Look at their name - "Modest Mouse." Sounds like a band that some whiney 16 year old would listen to, complaining about how he's misunderstood and how it angers him that people stare at him when he wears all black and eyeliner at the friggin mall. Spending his time thinking about the eeeeevils of capitalism as he plays video games and listens to his iPod for hours on end.

Metal Rulz. Fuck Modest Mouse.
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • SchokiSchoki Posts: 5,072
    Try "Good News For People Who Love Bad News" ! My favorite of their albums.
  • A great, great band made all the greater by the addition of the mighty Johnny Marr, a sometimes criminally underated guitarist.....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton