Counting Crows....

dirtyTdirtyT Posts: 3,620
edited March 2008 in Other Music
Do you think they are speaking of a time when they were at a corn field and were, "counting crows", or about a time when they actually heard crows counting?????

I am stupid.....
Cuyahoga Falls 98, Columbus 00, Cleveland 03, Columbus 03, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, Kitchener 05, Cleveland 06, Cincinnati 06, Washington DC 08, Philadelphia IV 09, Columbus 10, Cleveland 10, Chicago 13, Pittsburgh 13, Cincinnati 14, Chicago (1) 16, Chicago (2) 16
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• cc10106cc10106 Posts: 385
    am not completely sure, but i think it's a reference to some British poem? i'd check wiki for the origin.
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,833
    dirtyT wrote:
    Do you think they are speaking of a time when they were at a corn field and were, "counting crows", or about a time when they actually heard crows counting?????

I am stupid.....

Yes you are!

The band took its name from a divination rhyme about the crow, heard by Duritz in the film Signs of Life.[6] The rhyme is used at the end of the song "A Murder of One" on the album August and Everything After: "Well I dreamt I saw you walking up a hillside in the snow / Casting shadows on the winter sky as you stood there, counting crows / One for sorrow, two for joy / Three for girls and four for boys / Five for silver, six for gold / Seven for a secret never to be told." In the poem, the act of counting crows is particularly useless. Duritz reveals that a name is just a name, and, with that, is useless and can be anything. The divination also appears in the 1973 novel Secret of the Seven Crows by Wylly Folk St. John: "One crow means sorrow, two crows mean joy, three crows a wedding, four crows a boy, five crows mean silver, six crows mean gold, seven crows a secret that's never been told." In the UK, the rhyme is well known but uses magpies rather than crows. A popular superstition states that if one sees a single magpie, one should greet it in the form of good morning/afternoon/evening Mr Magpie to deflect the "sorrow".
  • dirtyTdirtyT Posts: 3,620
    Yes you are!

The band took its name from a divination rhyme about the crow, heard by Duritz in the film Signs of Life.[6] The rhyme is used at the end of the song "A Murder of One" on the album August and Everything After: "Well I dreamt I saw you walking up a hillside in the snow / Casting shadows on the winter sky as you stood there, counting crows / One for sorrow, two for joy / Three for girls and four for boys / Five for silver, six for gold / Seven for a secret never to be told." In the poem, the act of counting crows is particularly useless. Duritz reveals that a name is just a name, and, with that, is useless and can be anything. The divination also appears in the 1973 novel Secret of the Seven Crows by Wylly Folk St. John: "One crow means sorrow, two crows mean joy, three crows a wedding, four crows a boy, five crows mean silver, six crows mean gold, seven crows a secret that's never been told." In the UK, the rhyme is well known but uses magpies rather than crows. A popular superstition states that if one sees a single magpie, one should greet it in the form of good morning/afternoon/evening Mr Magpie to deflect the "sorrow".

DAMN, VERY INSIGHTFUL!!

Thank you FP!!
    Cuyahoga Falls 98, Columbus 00, Cleveland 03, Columbus 03, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, Kitchener 05, Cleveland 06, Cincinnati 06, Washington DC 08, Philadelphia IV 09, Columbus 10, Cleveland 10, Chicago 13, Pittsburgh 13, Cincinnati 14, Chicago (1) 16, Chicago (2) 16
  • Gremmie95Gremmie95 Posts: 749
    dirtyT wrote:
    DAMN, VERY INSIGHTFUL!!

Thank you FP!!

your not stupid big fella, Jesus loves you!
    Gremmie95 wrote:
    your not stupid big fella, Jesus loves you!
    i have to go poopy!
  • Gremmie95Gremmie95 Posts: 749
    dirtyT wrote:
    i have to go poopy!

oh man, I just did that and WOW. It wasn't pretty.
  • Don't eat the yellow snow.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
    Don't eat the yellow snow.
    does eating yellow snow produce yellow poopy?

By the way, love the name.
  • dirtyT wrote:
    does eating yellow snow produce yellow poopy?

By the way, love the name.

Thankyou :)

And yes, yes it does. It makes you poo like babies.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
    Thankyou :)

And yes, yes it does. It makes you poo like babies.
    or snow cones like Frosty takes a nice healthy shit!
  • Counting Crows are playing a half hour from the house. I’ve seen them 2x and both times, left unimpressed and disappointed. Last time was probably 6-7 years ago. Someone convince me to go (or not) 
  • Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    I like them a lot so i would probably go just to go.

that said I’ve never heard great things from pretty much anyone about their live shows.  So I guess it depends on how much a ticket is 
  • Tickets right now are $100 a piece 
    edited August 2022
    Tickets right now are $100 a piece 
    I probably wouldn’t then.

im seeing o.a.r. a few miles from my house because it’s like 50.  Any more than that, I’d stay home, and I definitely wouldn’t travel.  They actually put on a pretty decent live show, minus the fans

id probably have a similar value judgement with counting crows live 
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,945
    I saw the show that was a few days after the 2016 Wrigley shows.   They may rank as the worst headlining act I've ever seen.  This is a shame given how much I love their studio output over the first couple of albums.

Don't do it.  Spend your $100 on something worthwhile.  I even got taken to a Kid Rock show once and surprisingly enjoyed it, but Counting Crows I did not :(
    Zod said:
    I saw the show that was a few days after the 2016 Wrigley shows.   They may rank as the worst headlining act I've ever seen.  This is a shame given how much I love their studio output over the first couple of albums.

Don't do it.  Spend your $100 on something worthwhile.  I even got taken to a Kid Rock show once and surprisingly enjoyed it, but Counting Crows I did not :(
    Buy august and everything after on vinyl from analogue productions for 60 and save the 40.

that’s worth it. 

• Yeah I love most of the studio output. Came to them later in life and they write some great songs. But live, another story. Good idea about buying an album. 
  • Tix down to $70 a piece. If it hits $50 a piece I’ll likely pull the trigger 
  • Verdict is a no go. 
  • mookieblalockmookieblalock Posts: 3,173
    Zod said:
    They may rank as the worst headlining act I've ever seen.  This is a shame given how much I love their studio output over the first couple of albums.

Don't do it.  Spend your $100 on something worthwhile.  
    This is very accurate.
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    Zod said:
    They may rank as the worst headlining act I've ever seen.  This is a shame given how much I love their studio output over the first couple of albums.

Don't do it.  Spend your $100 on something worthwhile.  
    This is very accurate.

Wow that’s harsh. Not a huge fan but saw them because a friend is a fan. They were decent. Place was packed.

But the big problem wasn’t the band, it was the crowd. People just wouldn’t shut up, shouting to their friends inane details of their lives. Just don’t understand fans dropping $100 to shout over a band. It was so bad, Duritz had to say something…twice. “What the hell are y’all shouting about?” “Can y’all stop blabbing for a minute?” Tough to hear his exact words of course. And this always seems to be at its worst on Long Island. Other venues like Jones Beach in particular. Fans go there for a night out and don’t shut up for a second.. Something about this island, people are so entitled and huge egos. 
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    saw them in a sweatbox right after August came out. amazing.

saw them a few years ago. good, but nothing to write home about. adam has well documented issues.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16