What should I buy?

Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
edited April 2008 in Other Music
Alright, I'll be paying a visit to my favorite store tomorrow so give me your recommendations on a few wise purchases I might make while there whether it be cds or dvds....new stuff you think everybody needs to check out or whatever, any style of music, whatever....
All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JellyrollsJellyrolls Posts: 523
    Ben Kweller - Sha Sha
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    The Gutter Twins - Saturnalia
    North Mississippi All Stars - Hernando
    Blind Melon - For My Friends
    Black Crowes - Warpaint
    Gnarls Barley - the Odd Couple
    Eric Avery - Help Wanted
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    the new album of dEUS (belgian band). Great album.
    the latest R.E.M if you do'nt have it yet
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • Tek MoneyTek Money Posts: 642
    ANYTHING by Destroyer

Every album is amazing. This is one of the best bands ever. Their live show is better than their studio work.

I am in love.
    Cock Fight.
  • hendrix78 wrote:
    The Gutter Twins - Saturnalia
    North Mississippi All Stars - Hernando
    Blind Melon - For My Friends
    Black Crowes - Warpaint
    Gnarls Barley - the Odd Couple
    Eric Avery - Help Wanted
    Already a huge fan of the Crowes and NMAs, but I've been listening to Gutter Twins on their myspace....pretty good stuff. Nice suggestion

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Back Door Slam - Rollaway
    Old World Underground, Where Are You Now? - Metric
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Blind MelonBlind Melon Posts: 911
    Guster - "Ganging Up On the Sun"

Perfect summer album.
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • Good suggestions, thanks. So, what are some of the dvds you've been loving lately? I recently picked up Okonokos and am sorry I waited so long

• Lukin66Lukin66 Posts: 3,063
    Jedi Mind Tricks....Violent by Design
    Plus, you'd kill two birds with one stone, it's a CD/DVD combo :)
    deep, deep blue of the morning
    gets to me every time
  • Lukin66 wrote:
    Jedi Mind Tricks....Violent by Design
    Plus, you'd kill two birds with one stone, it's a CD/DVD combo :)
    I'll check them out. How about the new Musa cd/dvd? I'm a casul fan, but have heard they are excellent live?

• JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    i dont know if you've heard of them before, but i just got into this band called "Band of Horses" and they are phenomenal. Their second album Cease to Exist is great from start to finish.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
    Get the Heima DVD by Sigur Rós.
  • i dont know if you've heard of them before, but i just got into this band called "Band of Horses" and they are phenomenal. Their second album Cease to Exist is great from start to finish.
    Yeah, I have Cease to Begin and enjoy it a good bit.

I have been a bit hesitant to give Sigur Ros a try just because I fear it would get quite boring quite fast not understanding anything they're saying....I am right that there is no English, right?

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    The Black Keys - Attack and Release.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    The Black Keys - Attack and Release.
    Got that and absolutley love it. Does anyone have the dvd they released in 2005? Is it any count

• Lukin66Lukin66 Posts: 3,063
    I'll check them out. How about the new Musa cd/dvd? I'm a casul fan, but have heard they are excellent live?
    nah, I haven't heard about Musa (Muse ? :confused: ) I'll check them out
    deep, deep blue of the morning
    gets to me every time
    Yeah, I have Cease to Begin and enjoy it a good bit.

I have been a bit hesitant to give Sigur Ros a try just because I fear it would get quite boring quite fast not understanding anything they're saying....I am right that there is no English, right?

Yes, but it's pretty much just an instrumental band... the singer uses his voice as an instrument and just makes the music so fucking powerful. You CANNOT get bored of this band... I have listened to most of their songs 100+ times and do not get bored... but then again, that's just me. I highly recommend checking them out... and if you're not sure, start out with Takk..., that's easier listening than ( ), although ( ) is their best album.
  • Sleepercar~
    West Texas. :)
    "Oh, a flower you are to my land..."
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,152
    wait until tuesday and buy the new roots album
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Already a huge fan of the Crowes and NMAs, but I've been listening to Gutter Twins on their myspace....pretty good stuff. Nice suggestion

I'll second the suggestion of the Gutter Twins album. I absolutely implore you to check out Greg Dulli's (one of the singers from Gutter Twins) other band The Twilight Singers, in particular their album Powder Burns. Words can barely describe what an absolute monster of an album it is. It's dark and brooding, yet uplifting and anthemic all at once. Here's my favourite song from the record:

http://media.putfile.com/Theres-Been-An-Accident
  • HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    Two Gallants-What the Toll Tells
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • Lukin66 wrote:
    nah, I haven't heard about Musa (Muse ? :confused: ) I'll check them out
    Yeah, I meant Muse. Georgia Bulldogs had a running back named Musa a few years back

Rusted Root - "When I Woke"

Listened to this today and that album is just fucking fantastic... so uplifting especially with the warmer weather coming. Perfect summer album.
  • Black Keys - Attack & Release
    Eddie Vedder - Into The Wild
    The Black Crowes - Warpaint

Here's a few... I'm sure that you have Eddie Vedder's new jam but might as well add it just in case.
    "Don't come closer or I'll have to go
    Holding me like gravity are places that pull
    If ever there was someone to keep me at home
    It would be you..."
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,227
    I second all of the Gutter Twins/Twilight Singers recommendations and also definitely, definitely, definitely suggest...

Murder By Death - "Red of Tooth and Claw"

If you like turn-of-the-century songs about outlaws, whiskey, and the devil then this is for you.
  • The Shins - Chutes Too Narrow
    Ani Difranco - Knuckle Down
    The Decemberists - Picaresque
    Kimya Dawson - Remember That I Love You
    Sigur Ros - Ágætis Byrjun
    The Strokes - Is This It?
    Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    Ok, I did indeed follow some of the advice I received and picked up the Gutter Twins album, which I am liking a lot. I also got the Muse live cd/dvd, which is good although the concert is a little heavy on the theatrics for my taste, and the RATM dvd

• YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    Caroline Herring - Lantana
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com