Neil Young 12/9 & 12/10 at The Tower

yostaramayostarama Posts: 287
edited December 2007 in Other Music
Who's going and what day? I'll be there Sunday with my wife. I'm drinking and she's drivin. Later yostarama
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Thanks for letting us know your drinking situation
  • Tom KTom K Posts: 842
    Anyone have extra tickets for this show?
    I'm gone ..Long gone..This time I'm letting go of it all...So long...Cause this time I'm gone
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    12/10

i cant wait!
  • what time do you think he will go on?
    im hoping to miss peggy's set
    "Till there was rock you only had God"
    -David Bowie
  • Goofy08073 wrote:
    what time do you think he will go on?
    im hoping to miss peggy's set
    I think it's 8pm. There is a little bar down the alley right next to the Tower called the Waterford Inn. Only seconds from the door. Go there and have a drink and cheese steak and see what the vibe is like get there early. I saw John Fogerty in November and his band was in there having dinner when we got there. Later yostarama
    who is going tonight?

who went last night?

i have heard a rumor of a slater poster?
  • My wife and I went last night. They are recording at the Tower for a DVD and cd release. Lots of rules! You couldn't have food or drink water include at your seats untill after Neil's accustic set. Pegi went on right at 7:30 and played then a 20 min break and then Neil came on and played accustic. ten min set break and right into Crazy horse. There was no Slater poster. The only poster I saw was a poster with all the cities on it. Over all concert was good. During the first set the audiance sat still and was super quiet. Second set rocked. Alot of camera men on stage. It was very very hot.
    DVD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh shit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    yostarama wrote:
    They are recording at the Tower for a DVD and cd release.

i just pee'd myself!!!!
  • Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    Not surprised about the choice of venue. I saw David Bowie live on the Ziggy Tour. Ziggy Stardust live is amazing. Fantastic sound quality. Ditto several unofficial , but should've been official, Born To Run tour shows by Bruce , Dec. 75. I love the Tower. The neighborhood... not so much.
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff
  • Great gig last night. The acoustic set was intense. Probably the most respectful Philly audience I've ever seen. You could hear a pin drop at times during the acoustic set.

Things kicked off with an emotional one two punch of From Hank To Hendrix and Ambulance Blues before travling through many obscure, delicate moments. Some gremlins thankfully kept the synths out of A Man Needs A Maid, which Neil sang the shit out of. This was followed up with the second ever airing of Mexico. A short little ditty on the piano that was written in the mid-70's. Sad Movies and Love Art Blues were two other unreleased highlights of the acoustic set. This was also the first time on this tour both After The Goldrush and Journey Through The Past were played at the same show. Campaigner and Cowgirl In The Sand wrapped up the acoustic portion. At one point in Cowgirl, Neil bumped one of his acoustic guitars and it fell on him. He laughed it off saying he just wanted to jam a bit, went back into the song, and then gave the other guitar a quick strum as it sat on the rack.

It looked like Don't Cry No Tears was set to open the second set, but Neil scratched it and instead rocked out The Loner. The tempo stayed high for Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere, Dirty Old Man, and Spirit Road. The later two were given energetic workouts. All four new tunes translated well on stage. The pace eased downward with Bad Fog of Loneliness and Winterlong, before Neil switched back to acoustic for Oh Lonesome Me and Believer. The set closed out with a loud, jammed out No Hidden Path. This is such an amazing tune live and is a great showcase for Neil's guitar work ala Love And Only Love, Cortez, Hurricane, Down By The River, and electric versions of Cowgirl. Surprisingly the song ends rather quietly. Usually epic closers tend to finish with a bang, but not this one.

Cinnamon Girl kicked off the encore, much to the crowd's delight. After two sets with little to no hits, they were rewarded with a short one. Then the "White Dove of Peace" keyboard was lowered from the rafters. Neil looked at it, then went to the piano, stopped, turned to talk with the band, and went for his guitar. This happened a couple of times during the night, mainly during the acoustic set. It seemed as if he was making some of the song choices up as he went looking at verious instruments and determining what he wanted to play and with what. Anyway, Like A Hurricane was decided upon for the final encore. At 8 - 10 minutes it seemed like a shorter version than the versions done with Crazy Horse. Still, lots of feedback and guitar pyrotechnics throught the song, and two false endings.

Wish I could make tonight's show as well. Odds are they will get Tonight's The Night or Cortez The Killer as the second encore. Maybe a couple of different tunes in the acoustic set too.
  • yostarama wrote:
    I think it's 8pm. There is a little bar down the alley right next to the Tower called the Waterford Inn. Only seconds from the door. Go there and have a drink and cheese steak and see what the vibe is like get there early. I saw John Fogerty in November and his band was in there having dinner when we got there. Later yostarama

Thanks
    "Till there was rock you only had God"
    -David Bowie