Mgmt

leafs4everleafs4ever Posts: 833
edited May 2008 in Other Music
hey guys, i'm watching this band on conan right now and they are pretty good. Just wondering what others think of them
"I'll ride the wave where it takes me"
09/19/05, 05/09/06, 05/10/06
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    been meaning to look into them more, the single is real catchy, and I plan to see them at 'Roo, btw, they are based in Brooklyn and used to be called The Management
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    Meh. Unexceptional.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    Yeah, I like them. The album is decent. Not world moving, but definitely worth a listen. They got a mention in my CSS thread a while back :)
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • it's MGMT!
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • And yes, I am looking forward to their set at Bonnaroo and possibly their Boston show at the Paradise this summer.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • chimpatchimpat Posts: 590
    I like their stuff. I saw them at Coachella and I thought "Kids" was one of the best songs of the festival, the tent was going NUTS.
    "This is about as perfect a crowd as you can get. I hate to placate, I ain't placating...." - EV, 9/29/96

• Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    The single is fantastic. I find myself surprised saying that :) Catchier than herpes in a vietnamese crackwhore brothel.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    Aren't they emo?
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• Im really surprised by this band, i think that this style of music has a time and a place.

Los Campesinos another band in this genre was outstanding at Lolla. last year try them out too if you dig MGMT. Polyphonic spree is a little too ~~~ya'know for me.
  • Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    MGMT are a very very good band... Oracular Spectacular was one of my favorite albums of 2007.

I first heard about them when I saw them open for Of Montreal a few years back... (another one of my favorite bands)
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,152
    oh damn i missed them on conan- oh well i'll catch the vid online. theyre pretty good- not into the second half of the album as much as the first though.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • iamsampjiamsampj Posts: 784
    Danimal wrote:
    Aren't they emo?
    i really hope that you're being sarcastic with that comment!?? 'cause they are far from emo!!

i really like their album. it's fantastic.

if you like mgmt, then i'd also suggest yeasayer's album "all hour cymbals". the 2 bands play a lot with each other...similar sounds, yet still unique to themselves.
    yes...i do feel like a human. i do not feel like a tree.
  • Goofy08073Goofy08073 Posts: 41
    the video is trippy and crazy
    "Till there was rock you only had God"
    -David Bowie
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    If you like these guys, you would probably love this band: Men Without Hats.
  • BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    Igottago wrote:
    If you like these guys, you would probably love this band: Men Without Hats.

and if you like that line you should join a group called Men Without Jokes
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.
  • DjangoDjango Posts: 152
    Just got the album. Sounds really good, the bit I've listened to..love time to pretend & electric feel. There's a big mix of stuff going on, hints of disco, electronic music, indie rock, shoegazery vibes, psychedelia ...electric feel sounds like early prince.

Some of it reminds me a bit of Rollerskate skinny, a 90's band from Dublin long since split up
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7qR3hg0Zfw
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Best album of the year so far easily
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    iamsampj wrote:
    i really hope that you're being sarcastic with that comment!?? 'cause they are far from emo!!

i really like their album. it's fantastic.

if you like mgmt, then i'd also suggest yeasayer's album "all hour cymbals". the 2 bands play a lot with each other...similar sounds, yet still unique to themselves.

I'm actually not being sarcastic. The lead singer has a really whiney voice. They sound like the rest of those other bands to me.

My opinion does not make them bad though. What the hell do I know?
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• KannKann Posts: 1,146
    Brainofdz wrote:
    and if you like that line you should join a group called Men Without Jokes
    I didn't get that, and I hate to miss on joke no matter how bad it is!

on topic, that band is something heard 1200 times in the last 3 years, so meh.