Music Stores

rudiger10rudiger10 Posts: 129
edited December 2007 in Other Music
They're a dying breed, but IMO still much better then just using the iTunes Store (Which I find cold, no love there, just no love). So here is my idea, write your city, and then your favorite places for music (please no large chain stores, we all have them).

I'll get it going-
Dallas-Bill's Records (the greatest store ever), and CD World (there are 2 locations in Dallas)
My god its been so long, never dreamed we'd return.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Worcester, MA Posts: 2,825
    Just a big F-U to FYE for charging 15.99 for a new CD, and considering that a "sale" price. They'll be out of business soon. Support ur local indie place!

My favorite is Newbury Comics throughout New England.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Boston I, Boston II 
    2018 Boston I, Boston II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 Boston I, Boston II
  • Just a big F-U to FYE for charging 15.99 for a new CD, and considering that a "sale" price. They'll be out of business soon. Support ur local indie place!
    I back you 110%, they already are gone down here, gotta be indie!!
    My god its been so long, never dreamed we'd return.
  • Claremont Ca=Rhino Records!!!!! THE BEST!!! Found PJ unplugged dvd there!
    Laguna Beach Ca=Sound Spectrum. Good peeps there.

(fyi: that's claremont la county not clairemont san diego county)
    OBAMA BABY
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Young Ones in Kutztown is pretty good but honestly i order most my shit online.
  • Ottawa - CD Warehouse.
    FYE sucks.
    To be honest, HMV isn't as bad as everyone says it is, good prices.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    The Laser's Edge in Homewood, Alabama.....will be closing its doors at the first of the year....not because business is in the shitter, but because the owner couldn't see signing a new five year lease.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    Calgary, Alberta:

Megatunes- indie record store on 17th Ave. It's been a Calgary institution for years. Excellent for obscure or hard to find stuff, but their prices are too high for me to shop there regularly.

HMV- The only major Canadian record chain left standing after the recent demise of Music World. They've lowered their prices in recent years and they've done a much better job of bringing in imports and harder to find music. I read an article the other day stating that HMV is actually making a healthy profit these days with CD sales. Not sure I believe it, but if they are, good for them.

Call me a traditionalist, but for me, nothing beats walking into an actual record store, hanging out for a while and browsing for new music. I've never been much of a downloader, and I like supporting my favorite artists by purchasing the actual physical album. I also enjoy owning the original artwork/lyric booklet and reading the liner notes. I know I'm a dying breed, but that's how I bought music growing up, and I'll continue to do so even in the age of iTunes and mp3's.

Some more of my favorites:
    Zulu Records, Vancouver
    Amoeba Music, San Francisco
    Easy Street Records, Seattle
    CD Warehouse- Ottawa
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
    Ottawa - CD Warehouse.

Great store! I used to work there. Best job I've ever had.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    I like Bleeker Street Music in NYC and AKA Music in Philly ( 2nd Street above Market) . Love the aforementioned Easy Street , both in person and via the internet. An aside about Easy Street ,Double thumbs up to Lydia . She is the Cafe hostess with the mostest. A true gem.

Finally , CD Baby.com in Portland has been great. I'm a big Gits fan . I can replenish all my Gits cds when I wear them out, which is often, and was able to pick up music by groups the surviving members played in after Mia Zapata was murdered.
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff
  • direwolf74 wrote:
    Great store! I used to work there. Best job I've ever had.
    I'm thinking of applying there for a job. I'm 16, but know my shit.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    we've got "record and tape traders" except it is full of cds and dvds

;)

why don't they change their name? let's get with the times!
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
    I'm thinking of applying there for a job. I'm 16, but know my shit.

You should definitely apply. It's a fun place to work and the owners are great people. For the staff Christmas party one year they booked the Corel Centre (or Scotiabank Place, whatever it's called now) and we got to play hockey on NHL ice. It was brilliant!

-Tom Waits
  • Pittsburgh----

B&D Records in Springdale----The owners (a husband and wife) are really nice. They've got vinyl, cds, boxsets, dvd and just about anything else you need. Last time I checked, the owners were always happy to special order for you. I owe my vinyl Binaural and Riot Act to him.

Eide's in the Strip District----Unlimited supply of cds, dvds, comics, magazines, adult entertainment and collectable toys. The employees aren't the most customer-oriented (which I understand since I've heard they are always either having to catch shoplifters or deal with people who just want to read magazines and put them back) and the prices can be way too high. But definitely worth a look. We got a Pearl Jam bumper sticker for each of our 2 cars there, and those are hard to just find in a store these days..

CD Warehouse in Monroeville---Probably my favorite place to buy music. Good selection of new stuff, great selection of used cds. The used dvd selection is the biggest I've ever seen and they always seem to get a lot of good used video games. They have punch cards, and give you punches for both cash and trade in transactions, which means you seem to get free stuff all the time. There are a few CD Warehouses, but the one in Monroeville is easily my favorite. The manager (or maybe a franchisee? I'm not sure) has a vast knowledge of so many topics (like music, video games, high def tvs, sports, etc), but the most useful is his ability to fix cds. My copy of Stone Gossard's "Bayleaf" had a manufacturing defect (yes, not a scratch but a production problem) and he fixed it within 5 minutes of me bringing it back.
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
  • direwolf74 wrote:
    You should definitely apply. It's a fun place to work and the owners are great people. For the staff Christmas party one year they booked the Corel Centre (or Scotiabank Place, whatever it's called now) and we got to play hockey on NHL ice. It was brilliant!
    What was the interview like? Any advice, etc...
  • Ugh I have always fucking hated FYE and their stupid $30 "sale" DVD prices and $22 "sale" CD prices.

Anyhow the only CD place (Sound Garden/Media Stop) in Geneseo NY closed.

So now I only have Buzzo's in Geneseo NY (he sells a bunch of guitars and instruments and only a tiny selection of CD's). I can drive to Rochester and go to Best Buy or House of Guitars (GREAT FUCKING PLACE!)
  • iamsampjiamsampj Posts: 784
    my favorite place in the world....park ave. cds in orlando!!!!!

i get such joy from going there. it's moved from its original location on park ave. in winter park (o-town suburb) to a much bigger space.

i love it so much i'll wait to buy cds until i can get back over to orlando. but i've found vinyl fever here in tampa to be pretty good.
    yes...i do feel like a human. i do not feel like a tree.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    Just a big F-U to FYE for charging 15.99 for a new CD, and considering that a "sale" price. They'll be out of business soon. Support ur local indie place!

My favorite is Newbury Comics throughout New England.

they'll be gone in no time. the virgin megastore in chicago, a huge michigan avenue juggernaut, had to close, and fye will be close behind.

chicago, il: reckless records. they have a huge selection and tons of stuff i can't find anywhere else.

columbus, oh: used kids. also a huge selection of almost all used cd's and GREAT prices. tons of $3 cd's and the like.
  • 1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Worcester, MA Posts: 2,825
    Anyhow the only CD place (Sound Garden/Media Stop) in Geneseo NY closed.

The Soundgarden in Syracuse was a favorite of mine when I was in college. Had good vinyl and the dvds were even cheap too. By far the best place that I have been to outside of my home area!!!
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Boston I, Boston II 
    2018 Boston I, Boston II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 Boston I, Boston II
  • Ugh I have always fucking hated FYE and their stupid $30 "sale" DVD prices and $22 "sale" CD prices.

(GREAT FUCKING PLACE!)

Places like FYE are the reason people steal so much music. The industry was licking their greedy chops all these years, unaware they'd be bitten on the ass later.

I go into FYE every now and again just to see what all they have. This year, I saw a used copy of NHL 2003 for PS2 for $20!!!

Are they out of their mind?
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
  • This goes for anyone in or around Louisville, Kentucky.....Ear-X-Tacy http://www.earx-tacy.com/
    "It's all happening"