saw Aaron lewis last night...

RWRW Posts: 97
edited August 2007 in Other Music
...and it was a great show. With an artist like this appearing at a 1700 seat theater just 10 minutes from my house, and fifth row seats, there was no way I was going to miss this.

I'll admit I'm not a huge fan of Staind. I like a couple of their songs that are played on the radio. And while I didn't recognize a few of them, the Staind songs he played sounded great acoustic. He threw in a couple new songs, played a few great covers (Black, Nutshell, Angry Chair, Sober) and a few really funny covers (a lisped version of The Eagles "Desssperado", "Freebird", and bits of songs by Cyndi Lauper and Justin Timberlake - you had to be there). Overall it was a very entertaining evening. Lots of audience interaction, and you gotta appreciate the fact that it was just him and his guitar onstage for a solid 2 1/2 hours. Who else does shows like that these days?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• stateoflove79stateoflove79 Posts: 2,845
    I said it before and I will say it again...

Aaron Lewis and Staind are damn good.
    Is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,138
    http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=239686

I've got this feeling a lot of what was said there will be said in this thread.

Anyways, glad you enjoyed the show.
  • Yea, this thread is bound to get ugly, but I really like Staind and I don't care what anyone else thinks.
  • Saw aaron lewis last night in RI, and he was fantastic. I have seen Vedder, Cornell and many other fine singers and he belongs in the same breathe as those mentioned. A fine singer! Staind on the other hand, blah, not my cup of tea.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    i just wish he'd stop being so obvious and covering old grunge songs. It's already annoying that he hasn't really developed a voice of his own, despite the fact he can clearly sing, without him relying on those kinds of songs to flesh out his live shows. he should try and break out of that whole staind "nu-grunge" thing.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • lowlight10lowlight10 Posts: 619
    Saw aaron lewis last night in RI, and he was fantastic. I have seen Vedder, Cornell and many other fine singers and he belongs in the same breathe as those mentioned. A fine singer! Staind on the other hand, blah, not my cup of tea.

i would say he has a better voice live than either Vedder or Cornell, and they are my 2 favorite songwriters. Aaron has written a handful of great soungs, some good ones, and some crap, but he can cover just about any song and make it his own. I was listening to him sing River of Deceit yesterday...just incredible.
    -

"In your case, I'll check my brain at the door and we'll start even, okay?"

Have you thanked a taper today?
  • lowlight10 wrote:
    i would say he has a better voice live than either Vedder or Cornell, and they are my 2 favorite songwriters. Aaron has written a handful of great soungs, some good ones, and some crap, but he can cover just about any song and make it his own. I was listening to him sing River of Deceit yesterday...just incredible.
    respect your opinion, but SHOCKED better than vedder and cornell WOW i think he's better than clay aiken but not as exciting to watch live. clay can really get the place jumping.
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
    respect your opinion, but SHOCKED better than vedder and cornell WOW i think he's better than clay aiken but not as exciting to watch live. clay can really get the place jumping.

vocals? have you heard chris or ed sing live? go listen to some shows and tell me Aaron is not a better SINGER than either of them. i am not a trained vocalist or musician, but I would be willing to bet than any trained ears would tell us that Aaron is a better singer. like I said, Ed and Chris--the 2 greatest songwriters. PJ--my fav band. No other band I'd rather see live, no question.

But Aaron's voice is ridiculous.
    -

• I think Aaron Lewis can do covers, and that's about it. But he doesn't add much to them, he just slows them down and makes them acoustic if they weren't already.
    go to a live shows site, find an Aaron lewis show, and download the song Something Like Me. its an unreleased track. other solo songs that might intrigue you IF YOU LIKE HIS VOICE:

Devil
    Please
    Right Here

if you dont like his voice, then you just wont enjoy him. maybe someday it will click, maybe not.

PS: is cover of Piano Man is better than Billy Joel could ever sing it.

EDIT: you can listen to a short acoustic set at http://www.strippedmusic.com.
    -

• LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    I said it before and I will say it again...

Aaron Lewis and Staind are damn good.
    Staind puts on a pretty good show- I like there older more harder stuff better than there newer Nickelback-like crap.
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • lowlight10 wrote:

He sang River of Deceit?
    Wow...would have loved to hear that at Nokia show

That's my holy grail song to hear PJ cover
    (Mike get MS back together with Lannigan PLEASSSEEEEE..)

Aaron's got a great voice, but I wouldn't put him in same league as Ed or Chris, esp just seeing Chris 4x this year
    gave me chills each time
    '96 7 shows / '97 3 shows / '98 15 shows
    '00 12 shows / '03 4 shows / '06 6 shows
    '08 3 shows / '09 5 shows / '10 6 shows
  • Aaron Lewis is a good singer. Better then Vedder or Cornell, thats the biggest bunch of bullshit I ever heard. Cornell and Vedder are miles and miles ahead of this guys live and on cd and songwriting too.
  • hodgehodge Posts: 519
    Aaron Lewis is a good singer. Better then Vedder or Cornell, thats the biggest bunch of bullshit I ever heard. Cornell and Vedder are miles and miles ahead of this guys live and on cd and songwriting too.

it's all subjective

and my worthless opinion, cornell blew live both times i saw him LOL

eat that bullshit with a spoon
    ..and you will come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable
  • >>>but I would be willing to bet than any trained ears would tell us that Aaron is a better singer

Yes, possibly, but only if those ears were trained by tone-deaf, cloth-eared morons.

The guy sings as though he's constantly on the threshold of defecation. He's a plaster-of-paris version of Eddie Vedder, and that's all the more analysis he deserves.
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    lowlight10 wrote:

PS: is cover of Piano Man is better than Billy Joel could ever sing it.

EDIT: you can listen to a short acoustic set at http://www.strippedmusic.com.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA

DUDE THAT SHIT FUCKING SUCKED, TOTALLY OUTTA HIS LEAGUE. BILLY JOEL IS A FUCKING LEGEND NOT SOME ED WANNABE LIKE ARRON LEWIS.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA

DUDE THAT SHIT FUCKING SUCKED, TOTALLY OUTTA HIS LEAGUE. BILLY JOEL IS A FUCKING LEGEND NOT SOME ED WANNABE LIKE ARRON LEWIS.

yea we get it everyone who isn't ed wants to be him...fuck that shit, just because you have a raging clue for eddie doesn't mean that everyone is trying to be him
  • lowlight10 wrote:
    vocals? have you heard chris or ed sing live? go listen to some shows and tell me Aaron is not a better SINGER than either of them. i am not a trained vocalist or musician, but I would be willing to bet than any trained ears would tell us that Aaron is a better singer. like I said, Ed and Chris--the 2 greatest songwriters. PJ--my fav band. No other band I'd rather see live, no question.

But Aaron's voice is ridiculous.

His voice is appalling, Eddies vocals are so much better than that whiny dogshit coming out of Aarons mouth. Staind is one of the worst bands ever.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • maccimacci Posts: 1,057
    I've seen Aaron solo a few times...and I have loved the shows!!
    My lips are shaking.......
  • His voice is appalling, Eddies vocals are so much better than that whiny dogshit coming out of Aarons mouth. Staind is one of the worst bands ever.
    He is no Noel Gallagher (arrogant cunt) thank god!!!
  • He is no Noel Gallagher (arrogant cunt) thank god!!!

At least Noel can sing and make great tunes
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• TheGossmanTheGossman Posts: 1,120
    I like Stainds first album, then they started writing crappy 4 chord pop songs that all sounded like Avril Lavine. Eddie would blow Aaron out of the water live, whoever made the assumption that Aaron is a better singer live is crazy. Could Aaron sing a song like Blood or Life Wasted?
    9/4/98, 8/4/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 4/19/03, 4/25/03, 4/26/03, 4/28/03, 4/29/03, 4/30/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/6/04, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 8/5/07, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 6/14/08, 6/16/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08
  • TheGossmanTheGossman Posts: 1,120
    oh yea, Staind recently opened for Nickelback on their recent tour, need I say more? Do you need anymore proof on how bad they are?
    9/4/98, 8/4/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 4/19/03, 4/25/03, 4/26/03, 4/28/03, 4/29/03, 4/30/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/6/04, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 8/5/07, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 6/14/08, 6/16/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08
  • TheGossman wrote:
    oh yea, Staind recently opened for Nickelback on their recent tour, need I say more? Do you need anymore proof on how bad they are?

are you sure they opened for nickelback? im pretty sure thats not accurate but i could be wrong.
  • are you sure they opened for nickelback? im pretty sure thats not accurate but i could be wrong.

Sounds pretty accurate to me, both make absolutely awful music.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• Sounds pretty accurate to me, both make absolutely awful music.

Yea what was I thinking. You are normally right.
  • i was at reading festival a few years back and being too stoned to move, watched staind's set.

it was hilarious coz their pa blew up after two songs, so we were treated to an aaron lewis acoustic set.

the guy can certainly sing, but the trouble is he makes himself sound generic because he breads the bumcheeks of other singers like vedder, staley and cornell and he can only ever sing these guys songs half as well as they do, so he sells himself short.

my advice to the guy would be to write and perform his own songs. his version of black is sleep inducing.
  • here is a FLAC of him singing Piano Man. i think he sounds incredible. if you dont like him, please don bother downloading it or commenting on it.

http://download.yousendit.com/381A6F4F7C4DE9AE
    -

• lowlight10 wrote:
    here is a FLAC of him singing Piano Man. i think he sounds incredible. if you dont like him, please don bother downloading it or commenting on it.

http://download.yousendit.com/381A6F4F7C4DE9AE
    Wow, not sure how anyone could listen to that and honestly say the guy cant sing. Its one thing to say you dont like his tone or dont like him for one reason or another, but that is raw talent. I will say it again as a vocalist(not a lyricist/songwriter/frontman/guitar player), he belongs in the same breathe as cornell or vedder.