R.I.P. Freddy Fender

U2rocksU2rocks Posts: 89
edited October 2006 in Other Music
Kinda surprised that no one else had written anything..but Freddy Fender passed away Saturday in Corpus Christi from Lung Cancer..he was 69. I posted a decent blog about him on my website.

http://www.myspace.com/ramon1972

Just getting it out there..not sure how much interest there is from Pearl Jam fans..one of the people I heard growing up was Freddy. I always loved Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• the texas tornados are awesome.

RIP FF
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • SathogwaSathogwa Posts: 227
    Yeah, the Texas Tornados are an example of the pure beauty and originality of American Music. Freddy Fender was a part of that scene, and contributed to the fabric of brilliant, original American music.
    Sleep on horseback
    Far moon in a continuing dream
    Steam of roasting tea

--Basho
  • MeddleDealMeddleDeal Posts: 2,547
    I was thinking about making a thread about him, but I thought no one on this board knew who he was. I am glad that there are people on the boards that know who he was though:)

I grew up w/Freddy's music and he was BIG back home in the Rio Grande Valley. My dad loved his music as well, he would sing 'Wasted Days, Wasted Nights" when he got drunk :p And I did like the Texas Tornados too (well, secretly) my brother would always make fun of me for liking one of their songs. But yeah, they were another supergroup that kicked ASS. Doug Sahm and the GREAT Flaco Jimenez and of course, Freddy.

I was not only proud he came from San Benito, TX, in the Rio Grande Valley, but also proud of where he came from and never let go of his Mexican-American roots!! :D

LONG Live FREDDY! Descanse en paz :(
    ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~
    ~*STONEY PONY all the WAY!*~
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
    "For the world, not for the war"-Neil Finn
  • U2rocksU2rocks Posts: 89
    Yeah..some of us Pearl Jam fans are both..from Texas, and in our mid-30's. So I definitely remembered Freddy.
  • MeddleDealMeddleDeal Posts: 2,547
    oh definitely. I mean, how could you NOT know who Freddy Fender was, back in Texas ya know?! it is just something that EVERYONE is suppose to know. well, in my opinion though;)

But Freddy fought a long and hard battle and he did go through a lot during his life and he will always remain a legend for all of us who grew up w/him. :)
    ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~
    ~*STONEY PONY all the WAY!*~
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
    "For the world, not for the war"-Neil Finn
  • U2rocksU2rocks Posts: 89
    Yeah I totally agree on that one. One of my kinda laws of being a Texan is that you have to love Willie Nelson. I suppose I should add to the list that you have to know who Freddy Fender was. He did have a tough life...but managed to come through it until the end of his live. You can't say that about a lot of people and have them live to be 69.