Smashing Pumpkins - Rhinocerous

JamalJamal Posts: 2,115
edited May 2007 in Other Music
Did anyone ever actually like this song soooo much, then read the lyrics(which are not the greatest ever, let' be honest) and kind of think less of it?

I still like it, but since i've read the lyrics ... well, it just doesn't do it to me anymore, if y'all know what i mean...
Surf little waves big... Charge big waves hard

- Antwerp '06, Nijmegen '07, Werchter '07
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    decent song. some of the Gish stuff tends to blur together after a while for me though.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I have never read the lyrics. Since i really like this song now i don't think i will so it won't ruin it for me.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    What don't you like about them? Are they too simple or something?
  • JamalJamal Posts: 2,115
    danny72688 wrote:
    What don't you like about them? Are they too simple or something?
    I thought they were more substantial than this...
    They're not bad, but they are indeed quite simple, and at first sight even bland and banal.

I just thought they'd be better until I read them and the ones I used to sing were so much more meaningful to me.

Don't get this wrong, I still like the song, but it just doesn't mean the same to me as before ...

• red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    one of my favorite pumpkins songs. I always liked the lyrics to this one, but I listen to the pumpkins for their music over anything else, they got some great riffs
    However, (and I'm sure I'll get reemed):

I've always been a fan of their studio work, but for some reason I don't like their live shows at all. I've heard several boots, including on air radio broadcasts of the last two houston shows in 98 and 2000, and the songs just don't sound as good live, they sound unbalanced and way too distorted. Maybe they are like Bob Dylan, and tweak their songs, and make them sound different, I'm not sure. Whatever it is, it doesn't work for me. Corgan sounds like he whines and just yells off key during some of the songs, and I have to wait to hear lyrics to even tell what they are playing.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
    Jamal wrote:
    I thought they were more substantial than this...
    They're not bad, but they are indeed quite simple, and at first sight even bland and banal.

I just thought they'd be better until I read them and the ones I used to sing were so much more meaningful to me.

Don't get this wrong, I still like the song, but it just doesn't mean the same to me as before ...
    Well when I read into them they are much deeper than the simple surface. Plus the tune kicks ass ;)

I do know what you mean about a song losing some effect because of weak lyrics (or however you want to word it).
  • I absolutely love the Pumpkins live... :confused:

Anyway, I know what you're saying with Rhinocerous. Maybe the best music on Gish but on the low end lyrically.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    I've never read the lyrics because I want to believe he saying:

"She Knows, She Knows, She Knows, She Knows, HOES!"
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.
    danny72688 wrote:
    Well when I read into them they are much deeper than the simple surface. Plus the tune kicks ass ;)

I do know what you mean about a song losing some effect because of weak lyrics (or however you want to word it).
    They aren't weak, but what I believed them to be prior to reading them was sooooo much stronger.

Might be I misinterpret them so badly it fucks up the whole thing, but then ... enlighten me... Make me let it move me again

Jamal wrote:
    They aren't weak, but what I believed them to be prior to reading them was sooooo much stronger.

Might be I misinterpret them so badly it fucks up the whole thing, but then ... enlighten me... Make me let it move me again
    Well I see deception and covering up things. But whoever he's doing it to knows what's going on and he knows that she knows but continues to deceive. Putting something less important ahead of something more important basically, and doing so even though you know it's wrong.

Something like that.
  • DarkStarDarkStar Posts: 734
    Brainofdz wrote:
    I've never read the lyrics because I want to believe he saying:

"She Knows, She Knows, She Knows, She Knows, HOES!"

it goes like this:

she knows
    and she knows, she knows, she knows
    how's it she knows, she knows, she knows
    and she knows, she knows

full lyrics below...if you don't want to read them...move along:

planned a show
    trees and balloons
    ice cream snow
    see you in june

could have known
    i would reveal
    should have known
    i would conceal your way

she knows
    and she knows, she knows

colors show
    after the moon
    i should go
    see you in june
    your way

and she knows
    and she knows, she knows

open your eyes to these mustered lines
    open your eyes to these mustered lines
    the way

and she knows
    And no one sings me lullabyes
    And no one makes me close my eyes
    So I throw the windows wide
    And call to you across the sky....
    danny72688 wrote:
    Well I see deception and covering up things. But whoever he's doing it to knows what's going on and he knows that she knows but continues to deceive. Putting something less important ahead of something more important basically, and doing so even though you know it's wrong.

Something like that.
    Yeah, well, the message is there ... but still, the words can't cut it for me... too bad, I'm sorry ...