Options

My Morning Jacket -- Holy fuck!!!

Chris DodsonChris Dodson Posts: 40
edited June 2006 in Other Music
I bought IT STILL MOVES at the record store today in anticipation of seeing them live and Jesus Christ, what a great album! I've been burned a couple of times by PJ opening bands, but these guys are amazing, unholy bastard stepchildren of Dwight Yoakam, Neil Young and R.E.M.. This is the best new band I've heard in a LONG time . . . I'm off again to the record store to pick up Z . . .
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    alpittalpitt Posts: 91
    Yea, MMJ was one of those bands I knew I'd like but just never got around to getting any of there stuff. After seeing them open though I fully realized my mistake in not giving them a chance earlier. Went and picked up Z and am loving it.
    "I'm an ideas man Michael, I think I proved that with F*ck Mountain" -GOB
  • Options
    kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    yeah, mmj is great. i got into them last year. and it still moves is my fave.
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • Options
    anybody here love at dawn?
  • Options
    LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    when i heard they were opening i was a bit miffed that ben harper wasnt opening( a boy can hope) or the strokes were opening(hey pj did want them to)....but after buying Z....i was blown away. i cant wait, its one of the few shows im going to this year where the opening act is actually great!
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • Options
    thesheffthesheff Posts: 59
    z is my fave. i thought they were great openers, and i'm going to try and catch them when they preform at summerfest
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me
  • Options
    Kings of Leon are even better.

Wait until their turn is up and you guys start listening to them.. damnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.

:)
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Kings of Leon are even better.

Wait until their turn is up and you guys start listening to them.. damnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.

:)

i bought both of their albums and was totally unimpressed. they seemed like a wannabe modest mouse. my morning jacket is hands down the best opening band ive ever seen. i havent seen a band rock out old school like that since the black crowes.
  • Options
    StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    i bought both of their albums and was totally unimpressed. they seemed like a wannabe modest mouse. my morning jacket is hands down the best opening band ive ever seen. i havent seen a band rock out old school like that since the black crowes.

I think Robert Pollard will be the best opening act I've seen.....aside from PJ opening for the stones last september. That was insane.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • Options
    StoneG82 wrote:
    I think Robert Pollard will be the best opening act I've seen.....aside from PJ opening for the stones last september. That was insane.

im not familiar with robert pollard. ill look into it.
  • Options
    StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    im not familiar with robert pollard. ill look into it.

yeah he was GBV's frontman.....which I'm sure you already knew.

His solo stuff is great. It's worth a listen. He just put out a new record this year actually. It's called "From a Compound Eye". It's a challenging listen but its worth it. It's a grower.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • Options
    I have trouble believing that you even listened to it with that reference.

they sound as far away from Modest Mouse as anything i've ever heard.

i've heard Soundgarden records that bare more resemblance..

Most people encounter a bob dylan complex with them.. meaning they can't get past his voice.. but that's really it.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    WHAT?!! kings of leon as modest mouse wannabes. what the heck are you on man? there is no compariaon. KoL rock the sox off anyone. i'm uber excited they're supporting pearl jam in ausland.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    This is what I have been trying to tell ppl since Z was released... MMJ are a great band.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    Zoso wrote:
    This is what I have been trying to tell ppl since Z was released... MMJ are a great band.

you shold have been telling them that after Tennesse Fire was released ;)

if you guys like them opening for PJ, you should go see them when they do a full set. your mind will be blown.

for the record, my album rankings:
    1. at dawn
    2. it still moves
    3. tenessee fire
    4. z

and all of the ep's/singles/rarities are great as well.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • Options
    I have trouble believing that you even listened to it with that reference.

i listened to the new one several times. the old one a handful. nothing stood out to me. nothing was very memorable. i cant even recall now when im thinking hard on it what a single song sounded like. he did have a unique voice but that didnt phase me one way or the other. they just had this "we wanna rock, but we wanna be kinda weird about it and restrain from really rocking out" thing. all their songs felt like they were trying too hard to sound cool and indie, when they'd be better suited by just rocking out like the black crowes or something. dont hold back and let the songs breathe.
  • Options
    Re: Kings of Leon

I think they still have some maturing to do, especially lyric-wise, but they definitely have potential. "California Waiting" from YOUTH AND YOUNG MANHOOD might be my favorite song of the decade so far, and "Soft" never fails to put a smile on my face when I'm in a bad mood ("I'm so saw-aw-aw-aw-awft!")

Re: My Morning Jacket

I bought Z yesterday and so far I'm not liking it anywhere near as much as IT STILL MOVES. It's too cabaret-sounding or something . . . hopefully it'll grow on me.
  • Options
    IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    MMJ are the best band since PJ, easily, IMO. They already have 3 absolutley stunning albums. Kings of Leon are a fun band, but can't reach the emotional heights of bands like MMJ and PJ. There isn't really a point in comparing the two, they are completely different bands. When I want something more emotional and inspiring I listen to MMJ. When I want to go get drunk and hit on girls at the bar, I listen to Kings of Leon. MMJ's best stuff is so moving though, its a pretty rare quality these days.
  • Options
    LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    Kings of Leon's Aha Shake Heartbreak is great, rockin record that i love hanging out, just messing around at my friends house with it on in the background(we also listen to the new pearl jam and strokes albums a lot)

My Morning Jacket's Z is textured and beautiful, many very emotional, grand songs.

I think each of their previous works are weaker than the albums i mentioned above.
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • Options
    eloesch1eloesch1 Posts: 42
    MMJ are absolutely sick. This band can rock out. they really take their music to new levels in concert and their guitarist is just awesome. As for kings of leon....blah!
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426
    Yeah, MMJ is great. I like Idlewild too as opening band....back from the 03 tour. Think they were only on the West coast leg of the tour. Check out the album "The Remote Part". Its fuckin unbelievably good. Ive got a sampling of their music on my webfolder. just follow the link in my signature.
  • Options
    Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    I have downloaded several MMJ songs that I dig, but not a huge fan of Z. Not nearly as amazing as alotta people say, but its decent.

The Bear, Steam Engine, One Big Holiday, Oxen are some of my faves.
  • Options
    MMJ are a great band
  • Options
    yea, they're amazing.
  • Options
    kidapollokidapollo Posts: 75
    If you are digging MMJ's studio releases, wait until you see them live. They are incredible. Unfortunately, your time is running out to see them with PJ, but I'm looking forward to seeing them when they're out on their own sometime. A dude in Cleveland told me they play on and on, all night, sometimes ... just jamming away. I can't wait.
    I MET SIR MIKE F'N McCREADY!!!!!!!!
    (Added to my sig as per SENROCK'S suggestion)

"No time to be void, or save up on life ... you got to spend it all."

*Official Marker in the Sand Fan Club Junkie*
    Member #0020

Last Exit: Pittsburgh
    Next Stop: ???
  • Options
    kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    Re: Kings of Leon

I think they still have some maturing to do, especially lyric-wise, but they definitely have potential. "California Waiting" from YOUTH AND YOUNG MANHOOD might be my favorite song of the decade so far, and "Soft" never fails to put a smile on my face when I'm in a bad mood ("I'm so saw-aw-aw-aw-awft!")

Re: My Morning Jacket

I bought Z yesterday and so far I'm not liking it anywhere near as much as IT STILL MOVES. It's too cabaret-sounding or something . . . hopefully it'll grow on me.

that's the same way i felt about Z. it'll grow on you ;)
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • Options
    Knew nothing of the band three months ago picked up Z to see what i was in store for in Grand Rapids. I am now a fan great band.
  • Options
    LBC1076LBC1076 Posts: 224
    I got Z a couple of days ago and I love it. And now reading that some of you think their earlier stuff is stronger I can't wait to hear those albums.