prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
edited July 2008 in Other Music
Is my favorite Alice in Chains song.
That is all.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• faithful227faithful227 Posts: 352
    Completely respectable choice :)

Thought this was going to be a thread about the band, not the song.

Nice trickery !!!

It would be so hard to pick a favorite AIC song for me. But Dirt is my favorite album!
    VHC member #155***

Ft Lauderdale '96:::West Palm Beach '98:::Tampa '00:::Tampa '03:::Camden 1&2 '06::: DC '06:::West Palm Beach '08:::Tampa '08:::Columbia '08:::Virginia Beach '08

• prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    Dirt is a classic!

And fuck Godsmack the band :mad:

Facelift- AIC; Faceless- GS
    Both released a seven song acoustic EP...
    Named after my favorite AIC song
    Long Gone Day - Voodoo <---same song?!
    Sun logo...
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    Yea, Dirt is amazing. I think my favorite track is Hate to Feel. That whole album became so hard to listen to after Layne's death but it's still an amazing disc.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
    DeLukin wrote:
    Yea, Dirt is amazing. I think my favorite track is Hate to Feel. That whole album became so hard to listen to after Layne's death but it's still an amazing disc.
    Another classic song.

Unplugged is a painfully haunting experience, very difficult to take in especially since 2002. A lot of Tripod and Jar of Flies as well. You can hear him slipping away. I don't have too much trouble with Dirt, mainly because everything sounds okay....but you can tell something's wrong post-Dirt.

:(
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    danny72688 wrote:
    Another classic song.

Unplugged is a painfully haunting experience, very difficult to take in especially since 2002. A lot of Tripod and Jar of Flies as well. You can hear him slipping away. I don't have too much trouble with Dirt, mainly because everything sounds okay....but you can tell something's wrong post-Dirt.

:(

Yea, the funny thing about Dirt is back in the day I remember thinking a lot of the songs were about depressing subject matter (addiction, death, loneliness, etc) but that was ok because they seemed like just disconnected stories that didn't really have much meaning to me. Now when I hear it, it's like reading Layne's diary (even though I think Jerry wrote most of the songs) - but you hear the lyrics and can't help but feel that he was living the stories that he sang about. It's like a concept album about the Layne's destruction, even though it wasn't. I don't know, it just became very powerful and hard to hear after he died...
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Rain When I Die/Sickman, the one/two of these back to back is absolutely brutal, I used to listen to this album every time I took acid when I was 15/16/17 years old, it got to the point when on acid I felt like this album was an essential part of my trip and had to be listened to, fucking incredible record and a pivotal point of my life back then.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
    DeLukin wrote:
    Yea, the funny thing about Dirt is back in the day I remember thinking a lot of the songs were about depressing subject matter (addiction, death, loneliness, etc) but that was ok because they seemed like just disconnected stories that didn't really have much meaning to me. Now when I hear it, it's like reading Layne's diary (even though I think Jerry wrote most of the songs) - but you hear the lyrics and can't help but feel that he was living the stories that he sang about. It's like a concept album about the Layne's destruction. I don't know, it just became very powerful and hard to hear after he died...
    Yeah when you look at the lyrics it's pretty surreal. It's funny how Jerry's writing got darker as time went on when he wasn't the one withering away. They must've been so in tune with each other.
  • God Smack is also one of my favourite songs from my favourite album by one of my favourite artists.
    God Smack is also one of my favourite songs from my favourite album by one of my favourite artists.
    It is quite a good song. Glad to see I'm not the only one who loves it.
  • DCGARDENDCGARDEN Posts: 515
    DOWN IN A HOLE

Godsmack the band - Awake
    I'll keep taking punches
    Untill their will grows tired
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    danny72688 wrote:
    Yeah when you look at the lyrics it's pretty surreal. It's funny how Jerry's writing got darker as time went on when he wasn't the one withering away. They must've been so in tune with each other.

it's pretty well known, but not much talked about, that Layne was not the only drug addict in AIC.
    MLC2006 wrote:
    it's pretty well known, but not much talked about, that Layne was not the only drug addict in AIC.
    Do tell.
    danny72688 wrote:
    Do tell.

tell what? it's fairly well known that Cantrell has had drug problems. with crack cocaine if not heroin too. I think he's talked about it, and it's in many of the lyrics he writes. some of his songs from his solo albums were directed at Layne, and one off the top of my head pretty much said straight that Layne was not the only one dealing with addiction.

also AIC's first bassist, Mike Starr. I have seen several "reasons" why he was kicked out, so no one really knows for sure. but one of the reasons I've seen is that he was heroin addict and that he got Layne started on heroin to begin with.
    MLC2006 wrote:
    tell what? it's fairly well known that Cantrell has had drug problems. with crack cocaine if not heroin too. I think he's talked about it, and it's in many of the lyrics he writes. some of his songs from his solo albums were directed at Layne, and one off the top of my head pretty much said straight that Layne was not the only one dealing with addiction.

also AIC's first bassist, Mike Starr. I have seen several "reasons" why he was kicked out, so no one really knows for sure. but one of the reasons I've seen is that he was heroin addict and that he got Layne started on heroin to begin with.
    I've never heard Cantrell solo stuff, and never heard anything about him and drug addiction.

I've heard a lot of stuff about Mike Starr too, don't know what is true.
    here's the lyrics to Cantrell's song "Devil By His Side" from Boggy Depot

Clear on the road tonight
    Headlamps shine on the one-way signs
    I try to clear my head
    Of thoughts better left unsaid

Runnin' down an old elusive high
    One more time

The wind upon my face
    No one here for to block my way
    I wake the setting sun
    Bullet shot by a thoughtful gun

Did I lose you
    Oh friend of mine
    Is it in your hardened heart to
    Trust me one more time
    See, I'm tryin' to shake that same
    Devil from my side
    Always watchin' me, yeah
    Laughing while I cry
    While I cry
    Gunnin' down an old elusive high
    One more time

Headlamps shine on the mileage signs
    Not much further to go
    I laugh and I'm almost home

Did I lose you
    Oh friend of mine
    Trust me one more time
    See, I'm tryin' to shake that old
    Devil from my side
    Always taunting me, yeah
    Laughing while I cry
    While I cry
    One more time

but yeah, there's been plenty of talk that Jerry was heavily into crack. I'm pretty sure I've even read that he admitted it.
  • rizzdaddyrizzdaddy Posts: 262
    "Rain When I Die" by far my favorite song AIC put out. That reunion tour with the new singer was fucking awesome, hopefully they do that again sometime.
    08-19-08 (Riverside Theater) Vedder(Solo) Milwaukee, WI
    07-02-11 (Orpheum Theatre) Vedder(Solo) Minneapolis, MN
  • suns rivalsuns rival Posts: 15,926
    dirt is one of most underrated albums of all time. down i a hole.....YEAH!!!
    scratching my butt...
    kinakamot ang aking puwit...
    me rascando pompis...
    krap mijn reet...
    boku no ketsuoana o kizu...
    bahrosh teezy...
    MLC2006 wrote:
    here's the lyrics to Cantrell's song "Devil By His Side" from Boggy Depot

Headlamps shine on the one-way signs
    I try to clear my head
    Of thoughts better left unsaid

One more time

The wind upon my face
    No one here for to block my way
    I wake the setting sun
    Bullet shot by a thoughtful gun

Did I lose you
    Oh friend of mine
    Trust me one more time
    See, I'm tryin' to shake that same
    Devil from my side
    Always watchin' me, yeah
    Laughing while I cry
    While I cry
    One more time

Headlamps shine on the mileage signs
    Not much further to go
    I laugh and I'm almost home

Did I lose you
    Oh friend of mine
    Trust me one more time
    See, I'm tryin' to shake that old
    Devil from my side
    Always taunting me, yeah
    Laughing while I cry
    While I cry
    One more time

but yeah, there's been plenty of talk that Jerry was heavily into crack. I'm pretty sure I've even read that he admitted it.
    To be honest, I feel these lyrics are more about Layne, and how Jerry suffers with him because of his (Layne's) addiction. But I could be wrong. By the way, I searched for a bit last night and didn't find anything online referring to Jerry and an addiction. I also talked to a bunch of friends and none of them knew. So this is news to me...
  • yeah it was my favourite too, now I'm kinda out of AIC. My Morning Jacket
    kind of whiped them out of sight, got to listen to them again soon!
    I don't want to be the fool that's behind me but I am...

I'll Hold The Pain... Release...

Yourself