Serve the Servants, Milk It

prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
edited October 2007 in Other Music
:cool:

Two of the greatest songs on In Utero and by Nirvana in my opinion. Both very underrated. Anyone else stunned by the brilliance of these two tracks? Kurt was an amazing songwriter. He and Nirvana will always be very special to me.

Spreading some love (and I hope I'm not alone!) for some very obscure tunes that I can't help but wish I wrote myself.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Serve The Servants and Francis Farmer are my favorites on In Utero
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • I love Frances Farmer! That is classic Nirvana at it's finest. The lyrics are my favorite part I think, I love his play on words.
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    I think Scentless Apprentice is my favorite Nirvana song, and is always overlooked. There's such a primal fucked-up power to that song, it's incredible.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • You're right, I need to give that track another listen. Dave's songs are awesome (Marigold too). I feel most miss out on the heart of the album (ie. NOT Heart Shaped Box, Rape Me, Dumb, Pennyroyal Tea, or All Apologies). Those 5 are the radio friendly unit shifters ;)
  • I remember purchasing this cd at the local record store some odd years ago and asking the woman at the counter if she had ever heard of this band. She smiled and replied nope(while Lithium played in the background)

Anyway I love Nirvana and especially Serve the Servants.
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    I love Milk It. Kick ass song with some cool lyrics.

"Angel left wing, right wing, broken wing. Lack of iron and/or sleeping"

"Your scent is still here in my place of recovery."
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • SnakeSnake Posts: 2,605
    I gotta say I just gotta like Pennyroyal tea.
    It just has the right feeling to me.
    Pirates had democracy too.

"Its a secret to everybody."
  • Snake wrote:
    I gotta say I just gotta like Pennyroyal tea.
    It just has the right feeling to me.
    Or is it Penny Royaltea (Royalty)?

That's what I love about Kurt. You never know quite what he's talking about, but was a songwriting genius.
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    radio friendly unit shifter- best song on in utero.

I do like sever the servants alot though, that song was in my head at the work the other day as I was waiting for my shift to end.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    In Utero Kicks ass. easily fav album by nirvana.

I am my own parasite
    I don't need a host to live
    We feed off of each other
    We can share our endorphins

Doll steak, test meat

I own my own pet virus
    I get to pet and name her
    Her milk is my shit
    My shit is her milk

Doll steak, test meat

Look on the bright side is suicide
    Lost eyesight I'm on your side
    Angel left wing, right wing, broken wing
    Lack of iron and/or sleeping
    Protector of the kennel
    Ecto-plasma
    Ecto-skeletal
    Obituary birthday
    Your scent is still here in my place of recovery
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    Serve the Servants
    Scentless Apprentice
    Rape Me
    Dumb
    Very Ape

My 5 fav's from IU in no particular order.
  • danny72688 wrote:
    :cool:

Two of the greatest songs on In Utero and by Nirvana in my opinion. Both very underrated. Anyone else stunned by the brilliance of these two tracks? Kurt was an amazing songwriter. He and Nirvana will always be very special to me.

Spreading some love (and I hope I'm not alone!) for some very obscure tunes that I can't help but wish I wrote myself.

for me too I love Nirvana ,but my fav of In Utero are Very Ape I love it !
    "You're the eve of my destruction in the garden of fears"
  • red mos wrote:
    radio friendly unit shifter- best song on in utero.

I do like sever the servants alot though, that song was in my head at the work the other day as I was waiting for my shift to end.
    I was just listening to RFUS the other day. I love how ironic the title is compared to the actual song--I was analyzing the shit out of it too. Used to think the intro sounded like a spaceship :D
  • chris01 wrote:
    Very Ape
    for me too I love Nirvana ,but my fav of In Utero are Very Ape I love it !
    I too love this tune. Perfect length, just long enough but not too short (Tourette's could've used one more verse/chorus I think but it's still fucking great).
  • In Utero Kicks ass. easily fav album by nirvana.
    I must agree.

Nevermind is great too, but it steals all the love away from it's former and latter.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Frances Farmer is my favourite.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    i love how heavy In Utero is. the DRUMS!!!!!!!!!!!

i always loved Serve The Servants, Radio Friendly Unit Shifter, Pennyroyal Tea, and Milk It. I Hate Myself And Want To Die is another good song from these sessions.
  • itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    DOSW wrote:
    I think Scentless Apprentice is my favorite Nirvana song, and is always overlooked. There's such a primal fucked-up power to that song, it's incredible.
    def agree! the drumming rules.

and yep milk it rocks the casbah, also, never forget very ape :)

EDIT: nevermind-schmevermind, in utero is where it's at :cool:
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    I remember purchasing this cd at the local record store some odd years ago and asking the woman at the counter if she had ever heard of this band. She smiled and replied nope(while Lithium played in the background)

Anyway I love Nirvana and especially Serve the Servants.

:eek:

That is a travesty. Seriously! If you work at a record store and you don't know who Nirvana is that should be grounds for termination.
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    I might go with Serve the Servants and Penniroyal Tea, unless I'm feeling feisty, then I'd go with Frances Farmer and Milk It. It's just a phenomenal album from beginning to end - better than Nevermind. Easily better.
  • In Utero is definetly better than Nevermind. I love its aggressive, raw sound, and there is no better example than Milk It. Some of the lyrics in it are a little sad to hear, though : "Look on the bright side is suicide
    Lost eyesight I'm on your side
    Angel left wing, right wing, broken wing
    Lack of iron and/or sleeping."
    Radio Friendly Unit Shifter is also an all time favorate. So intense and was a great opener during that tour.
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    I'll add my thoughts. Raidly Friendly Unit Shifter, Frances Farmer and Scentless Apprentice are my favourites from this album. If you are interested in what inspired the lyrics for Scentless Apprentice, look for an a novel called Perfume, in fact, I think there was a start to DVD movie made recently, but the book is much better. I love the part in Frances where they just rock out, I always...ALWAYS....crank that up. I remember being at a party in college about 10 years ago and late into the evening, I got to put In Utero on the stereo and blasted it all the way through, and can recall getting rowdy with Frances and rocking out in the middle of one room. There were some other rowdy people around me, so it was ok.

Anyways, I believe this album came out in the fall, possibly October. I can remember trying to make it home for Nirvana's performance on SNL to hear the new songs from In Utero.

Since it's too late to crank this album tonight, I must do so tomorrow
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • We're on page 2 and nobody's mentioned tourette's.

I'll crank that one even before Milk It or Scentless Apprentice.
    It is time to admit that we used to rock like hurricanes. It is time to run for the hills and go round and round. It is time for us to shout at the devil. We've got the right to choose it, there ain't no way we'll lose it, and we're not gonna take it anymore.
    - C. Klosterman
  • DocChicago wrote:
    We're on page 2 and nobody's mentioned tourette's.

I'll crank that one even before Milk It or Scentless Apprentice.
    Yeah! Milk It, Very Ape, Tourette's....all songs I must blast.
  • Life is not fair: only 3 proper studio albums from Kurt Cobain. Damn it.
  • Life is not fair: only 3 proper studio albums from Kurt Cobain. Damn it.
    After hearing You Know You're Right I'm convinced No.4 would've been ace. Would be a very dark album though.

And, Nirvana B-Sides are just as good A-Sides.....especially out of the In Utero sessions (Marigold, MV, Gallons of Rubbing Alcohol, and all the others).