Options

built to spill

Ltrain76Ltrain76 Posts: 26
edited April 2006 in Other Music
They are the best live rock band around. excellent new album released this week. "you in reverse". They are legends and deserve much more acclaim and respect........period. Anyone who disagrees is pathetic and weak.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    you in reverse is weak and pathetic

I was supposed to see them at the end of this month, but it got postponed.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • Options
    Ltrain76Ltrain76 Posts: 26
    i know it stinks it got postponed but go when the new dates are. they are the best. as for the new record. I love it. it is much better than the new PJ
  • Options
    Ltrain76 wrote:
    i know it stinks it got postponed but go when the new dates are. they are the best. as for the new record. I love it. it is much better than the new PJ

I'm definitely going - the tickets are still good. Why would I miss BTS? :)

the new PJ record is amazing. I'm serious. It's the best thing they've done since Yield.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    Perfect From now on is one of the best albums of the 90's
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I can't get enough of the new album. It is much better then ancient melodies. All the songs are groing on me, but goin against your mind and conventional wisdom still stand out.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    alobaralobar Posts: 310
    I probably listened to it twenty times yesterday. I love the new one!
    "I wanna believe in the mercy of the world again."

WAR + MAGIC BEANS = PEACE
  • Options
    Just got it and am only a couple songs in but love it. MUCH better than Ancient Melodies...that album didn't do much for me in comparison to the others.

better than the new PJ? bold statement, their new album is sick.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • Options
    as with all built to spill records, it needs to be listened to a few times before you get used to the sound. they're sound always changes a little with every album which is why they're such a great band. that being said, after a good 5-6 listens, i love this new album. no perfect from now on or keep it like a secret, but still damn good.

some of the songs sound so Neil Young! love it! conventional wisdom is my favorite for summer song of the year. you know, nice to listen to when it's nice.
    Those undecided,........ Needn't have faith to be free
    And those misguided, There was a plan for them to be
    Now you got both sides Claiming killing in Gods name
    But God is nowhere,..... To be found, conveniently

What goes on?
  • Options
    transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    BTS leads my "Bands of the Last Decade and a half that slipped thru the cracks".

Let me have it. where do I start. I do have Ultimate Alternative Wavers. No clue if this is a studio, compilation, b-sides whatever but I need more.

It doesn't have to be the most accessible. If they have a bonafide essential, I want to hear it.

cheers.
  • Options
    transplant wrote:
    BTS leads my "Bands of the Last Decade and a half that slipped thru the cracks".

Let me have it. where do I start. I do have Ultimate Alternative Wavers. No clue if this is a studio, compilation, b-sides whatever but I need more.

It doesn't have to be the most accessible. If they have a bonafide essential, I want to hear it.

cheers.

"Perfect From Now On" is considered their masterpiece.
  • Options
    kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    i need to get the new one. i love built to spill ;)
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • Options
    transplant wrote:

cheers.
    Perfect from now on and Keep it like a secret are their best albums. The LIVE album is quite nice. It is worth owning just for the 20 minute cover of cortez the killer. The new one is quite good. They are all at least good. I would save Ancient Melodies for your last purchase it is the weakest.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    yeah. I take back what I said about the new record.

It's great. really grew on me. Sounds like a pretty good summer album so far.
  • Options
    i still think their first ablbum "there is nothing wrong with love" is right up there with what the majority of people call their better work...
  • Options
    transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    3 endorsements for Perfect From Now On is all I need.

thanks.
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    transplant wrote:
    3 endorsements for Perfect From Now On is all I need.

thanks.

it is a flawless album. unbelievable.

i dig the new one, but i think it's going to take a little time to really get it. i like "liar" a lot. and goin against your mind is an amazing song. as some have said, it's not on par with 'there is nothing wrong with love' through 'keep it like a secret', but it's bounds above the last one.

why'd the tour get postponed? that was a bummer. i may see them in chicago now instead of detroit...
  • Options
    I drove like 50 miles today and went to 3 stores trying to get it, now I'm back home empty-handed, man that sucked :(
    Well, do you need a lot of what you've got to survive?
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    I drove like 50 miles today and went to 3 stores trying to get it, now I'm back home empty-handed, man that sucked :(

shoulda called first dude ;)
  • Options

You could always buy it from itunes 9.99!
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    intodeep wrote:
    You could always buy it from itunes 9.99!

Without a credit card? Aside from that, I dont want a lossy version, I want a nice little CD with artwork.

The whole thing was like a wave building. I went to a store that was close by, that didnt have it so I drove a little far, again nothing and in the end I was at 3 stores.

How under the radar are they btw that so myn stores dont have them? I figured it was just bad luck that store no. 1 didnt have it but it seems no one actually cares about them, at least not enough to put them on the shelves.
  • Options
    Without a credit card? Aside from that, I dont want a lossy version, I want a nice little CD with artwork.

The whole thing was like a wave building. I went to a store that was close by, that didnt have it so I drove a little far, again nothing and in the end I was at 3 stores.

How under the radar are they btw that so myn stores dont have them? I figured it was just bad luck that store no. 1 didnt have it but it seems no one actually cares about them, at least not enough to put them on the shelves.

Well my local best buy which carries a lot generally does not carry built to spill. they just got a few of the new album in becasue it was a new release. For some reason even though they are on Warner Brothers they don't get much distribution. Smaller indie stores probably carry them.

You might wantto look into ordering it from somewhere. Most places you have to order it from though you have to have a credit card. What you could do is if there is a best buy near you i am pretty sure you could go buy a best buy gift card and use it online.... Just a thought. I think if you go to their myspace page you can hear a couple new songs goin against your mind and conventional wisdom. It would give you an idea of the sound at least.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    intodeep wrote:
    Well my local best buy which carries a lot generally does not carry built to spill. they just got a few of the new album in becasue it was a new release. For some reason even though they are on Warner Brothers they don't get much distribution. Smaller indie stores probably carry them.

You might wantto look into ordering it from somewhere. Most places you have to order it from though you have to have a credit card. What you could do is if there is a best buy near you i am pretty sure you could go buy a best buy gift card and use it online.... Just a thought. I think if you go to their myspace page you can hear a couple new songs goin against your mind and conventional wisdom. It would give you an idea of the sound at least.

Well, I probably should have added that I live in Germany and that doesnt seem to make it easier to get a copy of You In Reverse. But one of the stores told me they waited to get some copies in. I could order from amazon without a credit card but I'd have to order another CD to go with it to avoid shipping charges and it says shipment takes 1 to 3 weeks. There's another record store (a real record store, not just a electronic store selling CDs) that I'm sure will have it but I wont get there until next week. Anyway, I'm sure I'll get my hands on a copy sooner or later.

As to myspace. Been there, also on their official homepage you can listen to three songs from the album. That's why I want the whole album. Sounds realy good to me for a first impression.