Best Pink Floyd Album??

DEEPDEEP Posts: 274
edited March 2008 in Other Music
What's everyone's oppinion? I like Animals and was wondering which one to get next.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Dark Side Of The Moon

then

Wish You Were Here
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Animals for sure....so far ahead of its time, it's crazy.
  • jeffbrjeffbr Posts: 7,177
    Dark Side Of The Moon

then

Wish You Were Here

Wow, I almost never agree with pjoasisrule, but in this case, yes 100%. I like their entire catalog for various reasons, but these 2 albums are simply masterpieces. And DSotM was on the Billboard top 200 album chart for 741 weeks for a reason.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Gremmie95Gremmie95 Posts: 749
    Dark Side of the moon is amazing, as well as wish you were here. If you want to mix it up, check out umaguma.
  • RyeGuyRyeGuy Posts: 215
    I like "Meddle" alot.

But obviously its Dark Side. I know its a cliche but it is the best.
    "Makes much more sense to live in the present tense." Ed Ved

"No one cares about climbing stairs, Nothing at the top no more." Chris Cornell
  • DocChicagoDocChicago Posts: 653
    My favorite is Animals as well. If DEEP is making his/her way through the Pink Floyd catalogue then DSotM and Wish You Were Here are natural choices.

As bombastic as The Wall is, it's hard to go wrong with that one either. It was my introduction to the band's catalogue.

I'm not so sure about steering anyone towards Ummagumma so early on. To paraphrase the cops in Superbad, "McLovin's our friend. We should be guiding his cock, not blocking it."
    It is time to admit that we used to rock like hurricanes. It is time to run for the hills and go round and round. It is time for us to shout at the devil. We've got the right to choose it, there ain't no way we'll lose it, and we're not gonna take it anymore.
    - C. Klosterman
  • Just save up and buy the box set it is worth it.
  • DocChicagoDocChicago Posts: 653
    Just save up and buy the box set it is worth it.
    good point. when all of my cassette tapes got stolen in 1992 i bought the "Shine On" set. it looks pretty cool in a CD rack.
    It is time to admit that we used to rock like hurricanes. It is time to run for the hills and go round and round. It is time for us to shout at the devil. We've got the right to choose it, there ain't no way we'll lose it, and we're not gonna take it anymore.
    - C. Klosterman
  • butterfly1butterfly1 Posts: 372
    DSoTM is probably stronger but played so much. I would pick Animals if I had to have just one. But why choose? As said, get a bunch...like the box set. Grab headphones and .....off you go..........
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    1. Animals
    2. DSOTM
    3. Meddle
    4. The Wall
    5. Wish You Were Here
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    bharQ wrote:
    1. Animals
    2. DSOTM
    3. Meddle
    4. The Wall
    5. Wish You Were Here
    I'll go with that. If you love "Animals," be sure to locate Les Claypool's Frog Brigade's live version of the album....cool as the other side of the pillow. :D
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Animals or The Wall
    9/13/98, 10/4/00, 4/29/03, 6/29/03, 7/2/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 9/15/05, 9/16/05, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 10/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/25/13, 10/27/13, 9/26/15, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/5/16, 8/7/16, 8/13/18, 9/2/18, 9/4/18, 9/26/21, 9/1/22, 9/2/22, 9/14/22, 9/18/23, 9/19/23, 9/7/24, 9/9/24, 9/12/24, 9/15/24, 9/17/24
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    tybird wrote:
    I'll go with that. If you love "Animals," be sure to locate Les Claypool's Frog Brigade's live version of the album....cool as the other side of the pillow. :D

Yep I have that and love it :) I think they covered another floyd album aswell.. not sure... Animals was flying frogs vol. 2 i believe

i would love to see this live!
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    bharQ wrote:
    Yep I have that and love it :) I think they covered another floyd album aswell.. not sure... Animals was flying frogs vol. 2 i believe

i would love to see this live!
    Exactly.....great stuff. :D
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Dark side of the moon

Then

Wish you where here
    Cant touch the bottom...

London 96.
    Manchester 00.
    London 07.
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    Animals for sure, my favourite as well

love The Wall

also love the Les Claypool and the Flying Frog Brigade cover album
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    I gotta go with Wish You Were Here. That album you take you to another world without any chemical assistance. The first half of Shine On You Crazy Diamond is probably my favorite Pink Floyd song. You really can't go wrong with any of the albums from Meddle to the Wall, though. Not that their earlier stuff isn't great as well, but in my opinion they really started to reach another level with Meddle and never fell below that level through the Wall.
  • BenzorBenzor Posts: 886
    Animals by far

then Wish You Were Here
  • HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,153
    Piper at the Gates of Dawn!!! .....The genius and the madness of Syd Barret .....and the raw energy that gave birth to a whole new genre of music. .....Astronomy Domine and Interstellar Overdrive are pure genius!!!
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,924
    jeffbr wrote:
    Wow, I almost never agree with pjoasisrule, but in this case, yes 100%. I like their entire catalog for various reasons, but these 2 albums are simply masterpieces. And DSotM was on the Billboard top 200 album chart for 741 weeks for a reason.

I agree. By the way, that's 14+ years.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • down_skidown_ski Posts: 328
    Dark Side of the Moon is cliched as the best....because it is the best :D

Seriously, thats the best album too sit and chill listen to the whole thing all the way through....there is not a bad song on that album.

Wish you were here and Animals is good. All their music is awesome
  • ledfloydledfloyd Posts: 604
    I've never heard anyone say anything bad about dark side of the moon and for good reason, it simply is perfection...it's impossible to listen to the album and not have an emotional response to the music

wish you were here is amazing as well and meddle is another solid album....the wall is a great album, but a bit different from the other albums mentioned above...just sit back and enjoy the music of pink floyd, you're in store for a life-changing ride...
    "won't you help to sing, these songs of freedom...cause all i've ever had, redemption songs"
    --BOB MARLEY
  • The Piper at the Gates of Dawn. Everything else is just margarine.
  • prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    Dark Side (Any Colour You Like alone gives it this spot)
    Meddle
    The Wall
    Animals
    Wish You Were Here
  • Dark Side
    Animals
    Wish
    Wall
    Meddle
    Piper
    Final cut
    More soundtrack
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    The Piper at the Gates of Dawn. Everything else is just margarine.
    agreed.

I dunno... I just stopped having any interest in post-Syd Floyd when I started getting into jazz and realised that you could have instrumental complexity minus the crippling pretention. The Wall is especially overblown and really not that great. Animals is, however, pretty damn good and easily their best post-Syd album.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    Wish you were here.
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    Gremmie95 wrote:
    Dark Side of the moon is amazing, as well as wish you were here. If you want to mix it up, check out umaguma.

Good lord, I wouldn't put Ummagumma anywhere near the top of PF discs to get for someone who is new to them. I'd put it near the end of the list actually. The live disc is cool, but only if you know early Floyd.

After DSTOM and WYWH (and since the original poster said they had Animals, which is an essential), check out:

-Meddle
    -Obscured By Clouds

Then go for The Wall (and The Wall live) and The Final Cut

Then try the early stuff like:

-A Piper At The Gates Of Dawn (with Syd Barrett instead of David Gilmour...just a warning this will NOT sound like PF to a new fan...it's mid-late 60's London psychadelic music)
    -A Saucerful of Secrets

If you like the early stuff, you can always get:

-Atom Heart Mother
    -More
    -Ummagumma (studio disc is iffy, live disc is great)

Plus don't forget the post-Roger era Floyd:

-A Momentary Lapse Of Reason
    -The Division Bell

The live discs are great too:

-Pulse (Great DVD too)
    -Delicate Sound Of Thunder
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    agreed.

I dunno... I just stopped having any interest in post-Syd Floyd when I started getting into jazz and realised that you could have instrumental complexity minus the crippling pretention. The Wall is especially overblown and really not that great. Animals is, however, pretty damn good and easily their best post-Syd album.

I'm a huge fan and I totally disagree. Yes, The Wall (and The Final Cut) have an air of pretentiousness (which I love but I can see viewing them as overblown and pompous), but there is a LOT of good post-Syd Floyd. Once they 'found themselves' after a few years of experimenting, they hit their stride and put out phenomenal music from like 1971-1980, and even beyond I'd argue.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • meddle
    Just, not enough.
    I need more.
    Nothing seems to satisfy.
    I said, I dont want it.
    I just need it.
    To breathe, to feel, to know Im alive.