Sponge.

SoupySoupy Posts: 171
edited December 2006 in Other Music
I'll probably get slatted for this but are their any other Sponge fans here?

Most people will probably know them for there first album 'Rotting Pinata' which did borrow heavily from the Seattle scene admitted. Slightly more poppy than the 4 main 'grunge' bands.

Anyway after 'Rotting' came their less successful but much better follow up 'Wax Estatic' which showcased a bunch of styles and is a great album. After that album flopped they got dropped by their label and released a 3rd album 'New Pop Sunday' on a small label. This was album is another fantasic album very poppy with big choruses.

After that they disapeared for a while then returned with a new lineup and a new album 'For All the Drugs in the World' another solid album. However last year they released a 5th album 'the man' with only Vinny (Singer/Songwriter) as the only original member left and to be honest it's abit weak.

However the 'Wax Estatic' and ' New Pop Sunday' are worthy addictions to any alt rock fans collection and 'Rotting Pinata' and 'For all the drugs' are worth it if you like what you hear.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    great live band.
  • NossieNossie Posts: 1,039
    have never heard of the band...

but i'm particularly fond of SPONGE bob square pants... :D

(different kinda sponge??!)
    When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do...

Pearl Jam - Adelaide: 1995, 1998, 2003, 2006, 2009, 2014
    Eddie Vedder Solo - Adelaide: 27th & 28th March 2011, Melbourne 16th 2014
  • SoupySoupy Posts: 171
    Nossie wrote:
    have never heard of the band...

but i'm particularly fond of SPONGE bob square pants... :D

(different kinda sponge??!)

Sponge Bob owes his career to Sponge.......
  • bayleafbayleaf Posts: 128
    Awesome band. Well thats what I think anyway.
    ~*~*~*~*~*OFFICIAL KIWI JAMMER No 6*~*~*~*~*~
  • MJSB74MJSB74 Posts: 75
    I liked their first album but was a bit disappointed by Wax Ecstatic. Maybe i'll give it another listen.I'll have to have a search for New Pop Sunday because ive not got it. You dont fancy uploading it do you? Maybe thats a big ask. No worries if it is.
  • see u naked in the bath I think ur drunk I start to laugh!!!

i thought I was the only one that knew they existed.

Soupy wrote:

Most people will probably know them for there first album 'Rotting Pinata' which did borrow heavily from the Seattle scene admitted. Slightly more poppy than the 4 main 'grunge' bands.

Anyway after 'Rotting' came their less successful but much better follow up 'Wax Estatic' which showcased a bunch of styles and is a great album. After that album flopped they got dropped by their label and released a 3rd album 'New Pop Sunday' on a small label. This was album is another fantasic album very poppy with big choruses.

After that they disapeared for a while then returned with a new lineup and a new album 'For All the Drugs in the World' another solid album. However last year they released a 5th album 'the man' with only Vinny (Singer/Songwriter) as the only original member left and to be honest it's abit weak.

However the 'Wax Estatic' and ' New Pop Sunday' are worthy addictions to any alt rock fans collection and 'Rotting Pinata' and 'For all the drugs' are worth it if you like what you hear.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    didnt they do a tour with seven mary three and spin doctors a few years ago? that woulda been fucking awesome.

i love the song wax ecstatic and have you seen mary. they're not too shabby.
  • Ive never heard of them, but maybe ill have to check them out. If they toured with seven mary three, they might be pretty good.
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    Soupy wrote:

I got to see these guys at our annual Buzzfestival back in 1999. I thought they put on a Great show. I love the songs I have heard by them. They played Wax estatic (they opened with it), Molly (maybe sixteen candles and plow. Great performance, it just was too bad they had like a 3pm afternoon slot. the radio single from the new pop sunday record was killer. What was it called? Did it show up on another album? I wish I had bought that album! Or their new label should have re released it. Are these guys still touring? Have not heard anything about them in years kind of sad :(
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    didnt they do a tour with seven mary three and spin doctors a few years ago? that woulda been fucking awesome.

i love the song wax ecstatic and have you seen mary. they're not too shabby.
    Yes they did... I think Gin Blossoms were also on the bill.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • NossieNossie Posts: 1,039
    Soupy wrote:
    Sponge Bob owes his career to Sponge.......

Why's that? (you'll have to explain sorry...) So the band run around with sponge shaped pants on under the water??!
    When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do...

Pearl Jam - Adelaide: 1995, 1998, 2003, 2006, 2009, 2014
    Eddie Vedder Solo - Adelaide: 27th & 28th March 2011, Melbourne 16th 2014
  • doogdoog Posts: 59
    When Alice in Chains played in Detroit a few weeks ago, Vinny from Sponge came out and sang on 'Dam That River.' The next day on the radio, i heard a dj mention that Vinny and J Cantrell had collaborated on a song or album sometime ago. (i didn't hear what song or album the dj was referring to. i didn't hear the whole story..)
  • SoupySoupy Posts: 171
    doog wrote:
    When Alice in Chains played in Detroit a few weeks ago, Vinny from Sponge came out and sang on 'Dam That River.' The next day on the radio, i heard a dj mention that Vinny and J Cantrell had collaborated on a song or album sometime ago. (i didn't hear what song or album the dj was referring to. i didn't hear the whole story..)

Vinnie Dombrowski was singer for the shortlived band Spys4Darwin which included Sean Kinney & Mike Inez, as far as I know they only made one EP of about 5 songs. I had it but wasn't actually that impressed. This is in the period between 'New Pop Sunday' & 'For All The Drugs In The World' where Sponge disbanded for a few years.

Anyway good to see a few people remenber Sponge with fond memories, never saw them Live myself living in the UK sadly they never toured here as far as i'm aware.