What's the best Wu-Tang Clan album/albums?

ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
edited December 2007 in Other Music
I've never really heard this lot before. Where should I start?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Enter The Wu-Tang 36 Chambers (anybody who doesnt agree that you should start with this isnt an actual fan)

Wu-Tang Forever and The W got some solid stuff on them as well

Some great solo records from them.......Gza - Liquid Swords, Ol Dirty Bastard - Return To The 36 Chambers, Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx, Everything that Ghostface Killah has done

Avoid the new record and Iron Flag at all costs..........the Wu have gone to shit
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Enter The Wu-Tang 36 Chambers (anybody who doesnt agree that you should start with this isnt an actual fan)

Wu-Tang Forever and The W got some solid stuff on them as well

Some great solo records from them.......Gza - Liquid Swords, Ol Dirty Bastard - Return To The 36 Chambers, Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx, Everything that Ghostface Killah has done

Avoid the new record and Iron Flag at all costs..........the Wu have gone to shit

for sure start w/ 36 chambers. then disc one of FOREVER. its solid. then once youve got a feel for everyone's style get into the solo shit and really get yo mind blown.

the W SUCKS!

iron flag is waaaaaaay better. avoid the W. give iron flag another listen pjoasis.

the solo stuff mentioned above is the absolute best you will find in the wu tang genre...

specially ODB first solo, GzA first solo and raekwon First solo, ghostface supreme clientelle some of the best hip hop albums ever made.

Witty Unpredictable Talent And Natural Game.

W U T A N G

one of the most underated of the Wutang catalogue is Cappadonnas, the Pillage. awesome, lots of appearances and clever hooks... check out RUN.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE3B6vfT4q8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbW16rCMN14
    my slang is editorial, explicit material, brief case, yo, live in stereo flow.

Golden arms solo is hard to find, but a decent listen.

Once you get into WU you will have a lot of listening to do and it will all be great for you!

this song is off METH;s first album, if you like it check out the whole TICAL album. sucha sick beat.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Aio2WHXG44
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    Thanks!
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Byrnzie wrote:
    I've never really heard this lot before. Where should I start?
    Alright Byrnzie, it's like this. You NEED Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) because it's godly. Then you need Liquid Swords, the debut solo album from GZA (but it has numerous Wu guest spots). It's probably the second best wu-related album. After that, check out Raekwon's Only Built 4 Cuban Linx, Ol' Dirty Bastard's Return to the 36 chambers and then Wu-Tang Forever.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Chambers...no question.
  • BeavBeav Posts: 223
    this song is off METH;s first album, if you like it check out the whole TICAL album. sucha sick beat.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Aio2WHXG44

This has been my shit for years. I agree. My buddy and I call it the "Rocky beat"
    "Sooner or later you'll bare your teeth"
    www.myspace.com/volinic
    www.myspace.com/zane26 (band)
  • I'll throw in some of my faves that weren't listed. You've been given good advice so far.

Check out:
    Ghostface Killah - Supreme Clientele http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-GlW804vpo
    GZA/DJ Muggs - Grandmasters - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5T3W_zvBqRg

And the new 8 diagrams is actually pretty good. A lot of people have been laying the smack down on this album, but I like it. It's just a lot more mellower and has been affected by the RZA doing several hollywood movie scores. I think it's a solid album.
    NERDS!
  • best wu-tang album is Wu Tang Forever. Best Wu-affiliated album is Gza's Liquid Swords. Its probably better than any Wu disc.
    those undecided, needn't have faith to be free
    bryanfury wrote:
    best wu-tang album is Wu Tang Forever. Best Wu-affiliated album is Gza's Liquid Swords. Its probably better than any Wu disc.

You really think Forever is better than Enter The Wu?
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    36 Chambers hands down!

Classic tracks:
    C.R.E.A.M
    Bring da Ruckus
    Shame On A N*gg*
    Can It Be All Simple
    Protect Ya Neck
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • GZA/DJ Muggs - Grandmasters - .

i have listened to this many many times. awesome album....a must.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • OdinOdin Posts: 599
    As with Pearl Jam, Wu-Tang's best albums were their first two.
    bryanfury wrote:
    best wu-tang album is Wu Tang Forever. Best Wu-affiliated album is Gza's Liquid Swords. Its probably better than any Wu disc.

Good album, though not miles ahead of the rest. OB4CL, Ironman, Supreme Clientele and Uncontrolled Substance are all at least on par with Liquid Swords.
    Furthermore, OB4CL is the only solo album besides Stillmatic and Reasonable Doubt that rivals Illmatic. That album came out right when I was getting into the Wu circa 1995.
  • MohabMohab Posts: 310
    Beyond whats been said, wu have a huge array of b-sides, ep tracks and rare stuff, a lot of which is as good as anything on record. SOmes on a cd called wu chronicles, most of which you can find elsewhere. The old rare stuff is almost all pure gold

Iron Flag is half gold, half questionable
    The W has about three good songs but they are good, like careful - click click
    Masta killas No Said Date is decent with lots of appearences

and this looks decent http://www.wutang-corp.com/media/downloads.php
    Odin wrote:
    Furthermore, OB4CL is the only solo album besides Stillmatic and Reasonable Doubt that rivals Illmatic. That album came out right when I was getting into the Wu circa 1995.
    Liquid Swords > Cuban Linx

miright? ;)
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Liquid Swords > Cuban Linx

miright? ;)

totally right! the beats and rhymes on liquid swords were like nothing i'd ever heard. the gza is by far the best lyricist in the wu, and in the top 5 MC's of all time!
  • You really think Forever is better than Enter The Wu?

i do! the double disc is what seals the deal for me. so many great tracks. enter the Wu is great as well though. i think the guys are more polished rappers on Forever. especially Rza!

bobby digital albums are pretty fuckin solid too!
    bryanfury wrote:
    i do! the double disc is what seals the deal for me. so many great tracks. enter the Wu is great as well though. i think the guys are more polished rappers on Forever. especially Rza!

bobby digital albums are pretty fuckin solid too!

But there is definitely filler on it while Enter The Wu is all great tracks. The best tracks on Enter The Wu dominate those on Forever as well.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

bryanfury wrote:
    totally right! the beats and rhymes on liquid swords were like nothing i'd ever heard. the gza is by far the best lyricist in the wu, and in the top 5 MC's of all time!
    "I don't waste ink, nigga I think
    I drop megaton BOMBS more faster than you blink"

:) GZA > Life