Whats Better, new Chili Peppers or new PJ?

dotheevolution1dotheevolution1 Posts: 104
edited May 2006 in Other Music
What do you think? Chilis or Pearl Jam? Theres 28 Chilis songs on Stadium Arcadium, and they're all wicked except for hump de bump. But the new Pearl Jam is all so good too. I'm stumped.
puts his faith in love and, tremor christ.

"I bowl. Drive around. The occasional acid flashback."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ToshalaToshala Posts: 200
    I don't see a reason to choose one over the other......they're so totally different from one another.......I'm digging them both...........
  • MilestoneMilestone Posts: 1,140
    What do you think? Chilis or Pearl Jam? Theres 28 Chilis songs on Stadium Arcadium, and they're all wicked except for hump de bump. But the new Pearl Jam is all so good too. I'm stumped.

I don't see how you could possibly get a fair response to this question in a PJ messageboard.

That would be like asking folks at the Democratic Convention whether they think Clinton or Bush did a better job as president.
    11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.  5-10-2024 Portland.  5-30-2024 Seattle.
  • Milestone wrote:
    I don't see how you could possibly get a fair response to this question in a PJ messageboard.

That would be like asking folks at the Democratic Convention whether they think Clinton or Bush did a better job as president.

People are capable of liking more than one band, for example, i like radiohead, overall, more than the stone temple pilots, but i like all STP albums better than Kid A.
    puts his faith in love and, tremor christ.

"I bowl. Drive around. The occasional acid flashback."
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    I say new Pearl Jam is far better. The new album is far better than Riot Act. The sound has come on a lot since then. Stadium Arcadium is boring. Everything on it sounds the same, and they haven't grown at all since BTW
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • waves roll inwaves roll in Posts: 159
    Yeah, no need to choose one over the other both are great. That being said Pearl Jam definitely!
  • LabyrinthLabyrinth Posts: 25
    Even if Pearl Jam is my favorite band of all-time, I DO try to look at this comparison from an unbiased opinion

And truthfully? Pearl Jam is far superior, no question. If you're gonna come out with a double album it better be captivating... Stadium Arcadium is not, not like the Fragile or the Wall was.. And people can only stand so much RHCP. It also breaks more new grounds for PJ than RHCP, and of course the lyrics are much better.
  • mark armmark arm Posts: 962
    your mum is better dotheevolution1.

Well, actually I think that there lot of better records than these ones. The PJ one is ok. The RHCP one, I haven't even bother to listen it. Seems like more crap as usual.
    11/25/05 - Buenos Aires
    11/26/05 - Buenos Aires
    11/28/05 - Porto Alegre, BR
    06/01/07 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/16/08 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/17/08 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/19/08 - Buenos Aires
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834

I've only listened to the first disc of the Chili Peppers album (i just bought like 5 cds in the space of two days) but to me it seems pretty disjointed, and for the record I thought Hump De Bump was a wicked track - very James Brown. I'll reserve judgement till I've heard the second disc, but so far it just doesn't have the flow or the decent melodies that their last two records have had. For me Pearl Jam are in a different league entirely, I can't think of a single Chili Peppers song that gives me goosebumps like Inside Job, to me they are just a fun time band.
  • Ask this question at the RHCP forum and see how they respond. Most everyone here at the PJ forum has been pretty diplomatic about it.

I'm tempted to go the same route (diplomacy) because I find it hard to compare RHCP and Pearl Jam, unless we're talking about "Dirty Frank". Avacado has grown one me quite a bit, and now I love the second half of the album (minus Inside Job) and kind of like the first half. I have yet to buy Stadium Arcadium, though I doubt I ever will. Even though I love songs like "Soul to Squeeze" and "I Could Have Lied", I'm just not a big RHCP fan.
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    Its a pearl jam forum

pj kick RHCP :)
    Ask this question at the RHCP forum and see how they respond. Most everyone here at the PJ forum has been pretty diplomatic about it.

I'm tempted to go the same route (diplomacy) because I find it hard to compare RHCP and Pearl Jam, unless we're talking about "Dirty Frank". Avacado has grown one me quite a bit, and now I love the second half of the album (minus Inside Job) and kind of like the first half. I have yet to buy Stadium Arcadium, though I doubt I ever will. Even though I love songs like "Soul to Squeeze" and "I Could Have Lied", I'm just not a big RHCP fan.

Does the word bland mean anything to you? What's the point in replying to a thread that asks you to compare two albums when you only half like one, and have no intention of buying or listening to the other?
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    I just don't like RHCP.....so, this one is easy.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Damn double post got me again......:(
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Does the word bland mean anything to you? What's the point in replying to a thread that asks you to compare two albums when you only half like one, and have no intention of buying or listening to the other?

Thanks for reminding me of why message boards and general internet communications are flawed.

I really only posted in the thread to point out the obvious bias for this question at a PJ forum. Though you have a point about my so-called bland opinion (I have heard samples from Stadium Arcadium and I'm not going to buy it, but my intended point was that as a non-RHCP fan I probably wasn't going to like the album anyway), couldn't I also criticize you for replying to the thread when you've only heard half of Stadium Arcadium? It's not the same as not having actually heard the full songs, but still it's jumping to have your opinion heard when in fact that opinion is admittedly based on half the story.
  • Blind MelonBlind Melon Posts: 911
    I'd say new RHCP. I wasn't liking the whole By The Way cd, and they come back with 28 songs that, I personally love. However, I like the second disc more than the first. With that said, I'm not downing the new PJ album at all. I'm just saying, their (RHCP's) last work wasn't good, but Riot Act, I thoroughly enjoyed and would find that their newer material would be good as well, so, ya know, I was craving more good material from RHCP than PJ because I knew PJ could deliver it.
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    People are capable of liking more than one band, for example, i like radiohead, overall, more than the stone temple pilots, but i like all STP albums better than Kid A.

whaaatttt?

I mean STP was great but Kid A is practically transcendental
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
    couldn't I also criticize you for replying to the thread when you've only heard half of Stadium Arcadium? It's not the same as not having actually heard the full songs, but still it's jumping to have your opinion heard when in fact that opinion is admittedly based on half the story.

Ah you could, but you would be missing the point that the 14 songs i have heard don't have any of the flow that their last album had, and surely if the album is as good and balanced as you would expect, the first album should be no better or worse than the first. For the RHCP album to be as good or better than the Pearl Jam one it needs to be consistent all the way through which it is not, in my opinion I believe this Pearl Jam record to be their most consistent album since VS. There isn't a single song I don't at least like, in fact I'd say I love 12 of the songs, thus the RHCP album is not as good to me.
  • chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    Ive listened to the frist Chili's cd a couple times now and im really liking it. The only songs i skip are Dani California and Stadium Arcadium, Hump De Bump took a few listens to grow on me but now i like it, all funky and stuff, lol.
    Ill get to the second cd sometime this week but right now im happy digesting the first one.
    Pearl Jam i liked from my first listen.

But, you cant really compare the two albums for which one you like more.
    1. This is a PJ forum..... slight advantage to them me thinks.
    2. Way different genre's. (except for Dirty Frank ;) )
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    pearl jam

clinton

kid a rocks

stp rocks

go padres.
  • the chillis have a single formula for alot of their funky midtempo rocky numbers which means alot of the songs on this album are a little to similar for my liking. it still has some good fun tracks on it. now ive only listened to it once so im not ready to make a full judgement, i will come make one in a day or 2....

overall i like pearl jam more than the chilli's and pearl jams new album is phenominal so, you do the maths...
    +--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour: Member No.5-+--+
    ~~~~~http://www.myspace.com/breakerfallpj~~~~~

YieldInHiding: "RED DOT is an intermission...not "filler." I hate that word. Filler is what's in a Twinkie."
  • JonHWJonHW Posts: 5
    Stadium Arcadium just seems like stock chilis to me. they are capable of some standout tunes but all the tracks seem like album-fillers to me. its still good, but in a play it in the background kind of way. Avocado on the other hand is rocking!
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I think Stadium Arcadium could have been a much better album if they trimmed it down to the size of BSSM about 16 songs or so.

I like the new RHCP album but i love the new Peral Jam Album. Hands down i think it is better.

I do enjoy the interplay between Flea and John on the album. they are both great musicians.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Stadium Arcadium is no doubt really good but it isn't as amazing as it's been made out to be. There's one really good album, and one pretty average album. In a nutshell, it's not "new" and exciting cuz it's similar stuff to By the Way. Avocado on the other hand is fresh, tasty and a great progression from the somewhat substanceless Riot Act.
  • AxlUlrichAxlUlrich Posts: 12,652
    Stadium Arcadium is really growing on me.Flea and John really own on this new one.
    only the slower songs remind me of "By the Way"
    some tracks remind me of "BSSM","Californication" and Hump De Bump reminds me of "Freakey Styley"
    also agree with intodeep..i would have prefered a single disc album.
    but yeh for now I'd say new PJ is better.
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

Walk on with hope in your heart
    YNWA
  • im on the same page as a few people, i think that the chili peppers are an amazing band, i will allways buy their records and go see them when they come around. that being said i feel that though the chili peppers record is more accesable so it will outsell the avacado easily, but at the same time is a instant gratification record, you imediatly remmember the pop hooks, and thats bout it. The avacado to me is a record that had a little more backbone, and sense of purpose, along with great musicianship (yes flea chad and john definatly have that as well.) if anything i think that simply put, "pearl jam" is a stronger effort than stadium arcadium.
    First.. 10/2/96

• verb_to_trustverb_to_trust Posts: 178
    Labyrinth wrote:
    Even if Pearl Jam is my favorite band of all-time, I DO try to look at this comparison from an unbiased opinion

And truthfully? Pearl Jam is far superior, no question. If you're gonna come out with a double album it better be captivating... Stadium Arcadium is not, not like the Fragile or the Wall was.. And people can only stand so much RHCP. It also breaks more new grounds for PJ than RHCP, and of course the lyrics are much better.

How is PJ breaking new ground? It sounds liek a bunch of rock songs.........nothing new.

And the musicianship argument the guy above me tries to make? Frusciante blows Mike and Stone away...........he's more creative..........has better chops........no contest. And does Flea vs. Jeff even deserve comment?
  • RiffJamRiffJam Posts: 143
    How is PJ breaking new ground? It sounds liek a bunch of rock songs.........nothing new.

And the musicianship argument the guy above me tries to make? Frusciante blows Mike and Stone away...........he's more creative..........has better chops........no contest. And does Flea vs. Jeff even deserve comment?

They're completely different kinds of musicians - I appreciate Frusciante but prefer Mike/Stone. As a live and studio band Pearl Jam completely outclass RHCP but of course it's all about personal taste. I personally love both bands but have always felt that Kiedis is a weak link..
    London 28-10-96, London 29-10-96, London 20-04-06, Dublin 23-08-06, Reading 27-08-06, Marseille 09-09-06, Berlin 23-09-06, Athens 30-09-06, Madrid 09-06-07, London18-06-07, Copenhagen 26-06-07, Boston 28-06-08, London 11-08-09, Rotterdam 13-08-09, Manchester 17-08-09, London 18-08-09, Toronto 21-08-09, Philadelphia 30-10-09, Philadelphia 31-10-09, Manchester 20-06-12, Manchester 21-06-12, Stockholm 07-07-12, Leeds 08-07-14, Milton Keynes 11-07-14, Boston 05-08-16, Amsterdam 12-06-18, London 18-06-18, Krakow 03-07-18, London 18-07-18, Copenhagen 05-07-22, London 08-07-22, Seattle 28-05-24, Seattle 30-05-24
  • azwyldcatsazwyldcats Posts: 703
    I have both and have not taken PJ out of my player yet, and when I exercise, its PJ 90% ON MY iPOD, so I'd say PJ by a mile.
    And I'm not living this life without you, I'm selfish and clear
    And you're not leaving here without me, I don't wanna be without
    My best... friend. Wake up, to see you could have it all
  • depploverdepplover Posts: 189
    haven't heard the new peppers, but i hate the single.... but i love PJ way more!!
    5/09/06, 5/10/06 - FUCKIN AMAZING!!!!
  • RVM1245RVM1245 Posts: 32
    listened to both alot...have to give the slight edge to SA...frusciante is by far the better of the 3 guitarists, no question