I was just going through my cd collection

HippyvikHippyvik Posts: 281
edited March 2007 in Other Music
and i've got a lot of bands missing, I like certain songs by them but have never really known what albums to buy. So my question is.....

Can anyone recommend the best albums to start off with for Fugazi, Tad, Julianna Hatfield, Dinosaur Jnr or can you recommend a band and album from the 90's (grunge :o) that I've missed off here.

Thanks in advance :)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    Hippyvik wrote:
    and i've got a lot of bands missing, I like certain songs by them but have never really known what albums to buy. So my question is.....

Can anyone recommend the best albums to start off with for Fugazi, Tad, Julianna Hatfield, Dinosaur Jnr or can you recommend a band and album from the 90's (grunge :o) that I've missed off here.

Fugazi - I started with Repeater and it's still my favorite album by them

Dinosaur Jr. - one of my all time favorite bands. In my opinion, their best albums are You're Living All Over Me and Where You Been. Where You Been is probably the more accesible of the two, so it might be a better place to start. Their are a lot of "purist" fans that think only their 1st three albums (the ones with the original line up) are worth while. These people are wrong. While the original line up is great, Where You Been is as good or better than any of the 1st 3 albums. Green Mind and Hand It Over are great as well.

I don't own any Tad or Juliana Hatfield, so I can't help you there.

If you haven't already, you should check out Sweet Oblivion and Dust by Screaming Trees.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Fugazi. i love their sound on End Hits and The Argument. and the Furniture EP (which goes along w/ The Argument). my first record was In On The Kill Taker so i'll always have a place in my heart for that one!
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    Hippyvik wrote:

save your money.
  • soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    My favorite Juliana Hatfield album is Bed. Only Everything is a close second. Become What You Are is probably the classic though, and I love it as well.

I guess I'm not much help if you're trying to narrow down your list.

I'm going through the same thing with R.E.M. right now. I've always rather liked them, but a couple months ago I decided I need to buy some albums. I just bought 3 used online for a total of about $12.00. That's the way to go if you want to build up a collection quickly. This way I don't have to put too much thought into which CD's to buy first - I figure I'll get a complete collection in a short period of time.
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Hippyvik wrote:

You're better off than me....I was going through my collection and discovered that someone had made off with the Neil Young's Greatest hits cd. :mad:
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    hendrix78 wrote:
    Dinosaur Jr. - one of my all time favorite bands. In my opinion, their best albums are You're Living All Over Me and Where You Been. Where You Been is probably the more accesible of the two, so it might be a better place to start. Their are a lot of "purist" fans that think only their 1st three albums (the ones with the original line up) are worth while. These people are wrong. While the original line up is great, Where You Been is as good or better than any of the 1st 3 albums. Green Mind and Hand It Over are great as well.

Preach on. I could not have said it better about D JR they are one of my favs too. Even if you don't get the Album Hand it Over. Be sure to also check out the song Alone. Face Melting is the only word to describe it.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • sadprofessorsadprofessor Posts: 1,034
    hendrix78 wrote:
    While the original line up is great, Where You Been is as good or better than any of the 1st 3 albums.

Totally agree... Where You Been is just damn near a perfect record.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    hendrix78 wrote:
    Fugazi - I started with Repeater and it's still my favorite album by them

I don't own any Tad or Juliana Hatfield, so I can't help you there.

If you haven't already, you should check out Sweet Oblivion and Dust by Screaming Trees.

Without A Sound by Dinosaur also kicks serious arse.

And might I add Buzz Factory by the Trees, also Lanegans solo records starting with the first two The Winding Sheet and Whisky for the Holy Ghost.

With Tad I would start with Inhaler or Infrared Riding Hood.

Dont know whether you have checked out the band Eleven or not, if not try their album Thunk, it features Jack Irons and Matt Cameron on the drums with Alain Johannes and Natasha Schneider of QOTSA and Chris Cornell's solo album, they are very good and this is their stand out album since you asked.:)
    Can not be arsed with life no more.