gnr.......1 in a 1,000,000

ajedigeckoajedigecko Posts: 2,430
edited March 2008 in Other Music
if you are easily offended, this is not a song you should listen to.

if you are not easily offended, great song but confuses my simple mind. one verse is about "hate" then the next verse is about "love".

can anyone with gnr knowledge clarify?
live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• dirtyTdirtyT Posts: 3,620
    ajedigecko wrote:
    if you are easily offended, this is not a song you should listen to.

if you are not easily offended, great song but confuses my simple mind. one verse is about "hate" then the next verse is about "love".

can anyone with gnr knowledge clarify?
    I always took this song as this. Every thing he sings about in the verses is what he hated about LA and California when he got there. Coming from a small town he wans't used to the "jungle" that was California at that time. At the same time, he rconized that this type of lifestyle and freedom was the norm there and it became, ironically, what he grew to love about California. Maybe not the people, but the fact that these peddlers and cops and everyone else, was a staple to a normal average day in the scene that he became apart of. They somehow completed his surroundings.

I have no knowledge that this is true, just my take on the song.
    Cuyahoga Falls 98, Columbus 00, Cleveland 03, Columbus 03, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, Kitchener 05, Cleveland 06, Cincinnati 06, Washington DC 08, Philadelphia IV 09, Columbus 10, Cleveland 10, Chicago 13, Pittsburgh 13, Cincinnati 14, Chicago (1) 16, Chicago (2) 16
  • From what I understood, It's just Axl talking about what he saw on the Streets of LA when he moved there. It's a great song. One of my all time fave GNR songs.

Here's a little rant about it I found on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MF4wdJsrbdY&feature=related Skip to about 55 seconds in.
    NERDS!
    dirtyT wrote:
    I always took this song as this. Every thing he sings about in the verses is what he hated about LA and California when he got there. Coming from a small town he wans't used to the "jungle" that was California at that time. At the same time, he rconized that this type of lifestyle and freedom was the norm there and it became, ironically, what he grew to love about California. Maybe not the people, but the fact that these peddlers and cops and everyone else, was a staple to a normal average day in the scene that he became apart of. They somehow completed his surroundings.

I have no knowledge that this is true, just my take on the song.
    I should reword one thing, I don't think he ever loved that stuff, but just excepted it for what it was. so replace they word "love" with "except" in my above post.
    Cuyahoga Falls 98, Columbus 00, Cleveland 03, Columbus 03, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, Kitchener 05, Cleveland 06, Cincinnati 06, Washington DC 08, Philadelphia IV 09, Columbus 10, Cleveland 10, Chicago 13, Pittsburgh 13, Cincinnati 14, Chicago (1) 16, Chicago (2) 16
  • gregkitefangregkitefan Posts: 1,115
    Such a GREAT song.............
  • ajedigeckoajedigecko Posts: 2,430
    thanks for the insight, it is appreciated.
    live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.
  • Thierry HenryThierry Henry Posts: 2,654
    The music is great on this track.
    Dublin '96, '00, '06, '10
    Lisbon '06 (x2)
    Katowice '07
    London '07 '09 (x2), '10
    MSG NY '08 (x2)
    Manchester '09 '12
    Belfast '10
    PJ20 Alpine '11 (x2)
    Leeds '14
  • DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    I can decipher this song in 4 words: Axl is an idiot.
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

Danimal wrote:
    I can decipher this song in 4 words: Axl is an idiot.
    maybe intolerant is a better word.
  • DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    dirtyT wrote:
    maybe intolerant is a better word.

Mmmmm I was thinking more on the lines of "dumb-dumb". Hhahahahaha.
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    good song, not great but enjoyable at least. i still have "Lies" tape somewhere. :D
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    I don't understand why everyone thought this song was autobiographical and Axl was talking explicitly about himself? Do people listening to Tool think that Maynard likes to rape children? Do people think McCartney has an alter-ego called Maxwell who caves people's heads in with a hammer?

It's just a song. Slash's mother is black. If Axl was a racist then I'm sure he would have had the business end of a Les Paul shoved up his ass a long time ago.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    i love this song.
  • Matty BoyMatty Boy Posts: 421
    I had a black guy trying to sell me a Gold Chain at a Jack in The Box in Seattle and this song started playing in my head. Axl listened to NWA, Ice T and Public Enemy and I think this song is his take on their music. Ice T and Eazy E both backed Axl up by the way. Also, Axl has recorded with Eazy E but Eazy E's label has yet to release it.