5. Editors
6. Lou Rhodes
7. Guillemots
8. Scritti Politti
9. Richard Hawley
10. Sway
11. Hot Chip
12. Thom Yorke

Will need to do some research on those I haven't heard of.
So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    i've only heard 2 of those albums :eek:

i really like the Muse album... have to check out Hot Chip as they have been recommended to me by my pal with the weirdo music tastes :)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Chime wrote:
    For those that are interested the nominations have been announced

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/5190396.stm

1. Arctic Monkeys
    2. Muse
    3. Isobel Campbell
    4. Zoe Rahman
    5. Editors
    6. Lou Rhodes
    7. Guillemots
    8. Scritti Politti
    9. Richard Hawley
    10. Sway
    11. Hot Chip
    12. Thom Yorke

Will need to do some research on those I haven't heard of.

I've only heard 5 of them (thom yorke, editors, isobelle campbell, muse , and the artic monkeys)

Of those albums Isobelle's was my favorite.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838
    intodeep wrote:
    I've only heard 5 of them (thom yorke, editors, isobelle campbell, muse , and the artic monkeys)

Of those albums Isobelle's was my favorite.

Well you get a chance to listen to a clip of each of them from the link :)

I saw the Guillemots supporting another band but the sound wasn't great so may give them another try :confused:

Usually try to listen to all of the nominees for the Mercury as it's usually a broad mix of styles and also introduces you to small acts you would never of heard of other wise.
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • If you like contemporary jazz, Zoe Rahman's awesome. Went to her website and was pretty impressed.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    I don't see any way anybody but the Arctic Monkeys win with all of the hype they had on that side of the pond.
  • CM1847 wrote:
    I don't see any way anybody but the Arctic Monkeys win with all of the hype they had on that side of the pond.

Personally I think despite the fact that the Arctic Monkeys are hyped like no-one's business, people are starting to see that, actually, they're not all that 'inventive' really. The Mercury's believe it or not, are usually pretty good at recognising inventiveness.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • loz4965loz4965 Posts: 6
    this is the first time in a number of years that i haven't got at least one of the nominated albums.

not that that counts for much as they always choose something else, which is less deserving anyway.

In which year did this stop being an award that mattered?
  • The Guillemots are awesome and should've won. I ordered the album and am currently waiting for it. I have The Mars Volta and TV on the Radio to hold me over so I'm good.
    Pearl Jam Album Rankings
    ---
    1. Ten
    2. Vs.
    3. Pearl Jam
    4. Binaural
    5. No Code
    6. Riot Act
    7. Yield
    8. Vitalogy

Pearl Jam Song Rankings
    ---
    1. Black
    2. Rearviewmirror
    3. Light Years
    4. Given to Fly
    5. Severed Hand
  • PaulJamPaulJam Posts: 163
    Music awards are one of the biggest jokes around. However, I do watch this one just for the performances (I couldn't give a shit about someone like Jo Whiley's 'musical' opinion)...and there were some great acts. I especially liked Thom Yorke and Richard Hawley's performance.

Am I the only person in the world who dislikes the Arctic Monkeys?
  • Maybe it's because you're from the UK and don't see much else other than obsession for the Monkeys but go on any music message board and you'll see tons of threads of hate for them and calling them overrated. I don't care for them either but it's not as a backlash to the hype they've received. I've heard the album and it just ain't my thing.
    Pearl Jam Album Rankings
    ---
    1. Ten
    2. Vs.
    3. Pearl Jam
    4. Binaural
    5. No Code
    6. Riot Act
    7. Yield
    8. Vitalogy

Pearl Jam Song Rankings
    ---