Youth is wasted on the young...

CloudDog23CloudDog23 Posts: 147
edited September 2006 in Other Music
... to borrow a phrase from Eddie.

About 15 - 10 years ago I used to play in a band, nothing big, local level with a few dates around the country (I live in the UK). We had delusions of great things, but we all had back-up plans (as is a loving parents want) and 10 years, almost to the day, that was that. We wrote our own songs, recorded some demos on an old 6 track and sold them, at cost, at gigs, had a lot of fun, made a lot of friends, lost a few along the way. The same story many people could tell.

3 of us stayed friends (well one was my brother, so we were bound to stay in contact) and are close to this day despite one of us, the singer, living in another country now (with Pearl Jam offering a great excuse to go visit recently). We went on to play in other bands together and repeat the cycle, with the same delusions, but it was always us three.

Of all the songs the three of us wrote, we recorded all but a few, and one in particular, was never put down, but it was always was in the back of all our minds. The back-up plans were good, but the love of making music never went away, so taking advantage of a planned visit to the country by the singer, a scheme was hatched to finally put that song down with some proper equipment.

The song is important to us. It is about mine and my brothers Grand Father who was at Dunkirk and nearly died. He told the story of his experience that day to the singer which inspired him to write some lyrics, which in turn inspired the rest of us to write a song, of which we are most proud, and the most emotionally attached to, even to this day.

With the song recorded, I quickly put a video together using footage of a recent family event where the 3 of us "jammed" together with some other friends the night before one of them got married. I had to turn the others playing that night into Trotsky, in case you are wondering who's elbow, bass and keyboards keeps on cropping (if you'll pardon the pun) up.

I wanted to share the results with you. For no other reason other than to share the inspiration and love that my, now deceased, Grand Father gave to me and my closest friends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gioSeIf9IBg

2000/05/29 Wembley Arena, London, UK
2006/04/20 The Astoria, London, UK
2006/08/29 Gelredome, Arnhem, Netherlands
2007/06/18 Wembley Arena, London, UK
2009/08/18 O2 Arena, London, UK
2010/06/25 Hyde Park, London, UK
2012/06/20 MEN Arena, Manchester, UK
2012/07/30 Hammersmith Odeon, UK (Eddie Vedder solo show)
2013/02/10 O2 Academy Islington, UK (Brad)
2013/09/19 O2 Academy Brixton, UK (Soundgarden)
2014/07/08 first direct Arena, Leeds, UK
2014/07/11 MK Bowl, Milton Keynes, UK
2017/06/06 Hammersmith Odeon, UK (Eddie Vedder solo show)
2018/07/17 O2 Arena, London, UK
2022/07/08 Hyde Park, London, UK
2022/07/09 Hyde Park, London, UK
2024/06/25 Co-op Live, Manchester, UK
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• cool story clouddog thanks for sharing. :)
    www.riseagainst.com

Only thunder gives me rest.
  • sounds and looks great!

thanks
    saw things so much clearer
  • thanks!!! he is so right!!
    Pearl Jam Mexico 2005, The greatest year ever!
    December 9, 10 - ESTA BIEN, ESTA BIEEEEEN!

www.myspace.com/clau_yellowled