Options

sufjan stevens

pjdude24pjdude24 Posts: 19
edited April 2006 in Other Music
Does anyone listen to this guy? He is quite awesome. His Illinois album may be one of the best albums of last year (IMO). What does everyone think of him?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    He is kind of a weiner but his music is pretty fantastic.
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    Illinois was quite good, in my top 10 from last year. I haven't heard any of his previous efforts though. He announced earlier this year that his next "state" album would be Texas and it would be out late this year.
  • Options
    karma defectkarma defect Posts: 5,483
    I finally check him out last month. I made a copy of that Illinoise album.

It took me a while though. I didn't and don't like his name. Silly me. It stopped me from checking it out. His mane in Dutch would be; Lame Jan Stevens. Now that doesn't sound like you want to run of and go get does it?
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
  • Options
    StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    I have a friend who loves him. He has a few good songs but he does nothing for me.

Sufyawn.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • Options
    pjdude24 wrote:
    Does anyone listen to this guy? He is quite awesome. His Illinois album may be one of the best albums of last year (IMO). What does everyone think of him?

Seven Swans is my favorite album from him, he is truly amazing and i love the vibe of all of his songs
    "I Will Scream my Lungs out 'til it fills this Room "

" I Will Feel Alive as Long as I am Free"

"Are We Getting SomeThing Out Of this All Encompassing Trip? Makes Much More Sense To Live In The Present Tense"

www.myspace.com/ehoff12982
  • Options
    AlessianaAlessiana Posts: 329
    I love his work. He's a genius. I've never heard someone combine instruments quite like he does.

Aless

Tell them you love them. Never let the mundane, the unimportant, or worse, the misunderstood, be the final words of parting.

Tell them.
  • Options
    lumpyfredlumpyfred Posts: 243
    I didnt really like Illinoise until about the fourth listen, but right now its one of my favorites.
    Her?
  • Options
    lumpyfred wrote:
    I didnt really like Illinoise until about the fourth listen, but right now its one of my favorites.

I swear, the best music takes several listens. It's a major reason I look at professional rock reviewers doubtfully. Ok, for more reasons then just that, but they can't possibly give enough time to each album they have to review.

Some material takes time assimilate.

Aless

Tell them you love them. Never let the mundane, the unimportant, or worse, the misunderstood, be the final words of parting.

Tell them.
  • Options
    his seven swans album may be one of the saddest albums i heard in a while. michigan is very somber too, but it is spiced up with some upbeat tunes.
  • Options
    pjdude24 wrote:
    his seven swans album may be one of the saddest albums i heard in a while. michigan is very somber too, but it is spiced up with some upbeat tunes.

i've heard some. it's beautiful. i have to get it. it's on the list.

Aless

Tell them.
  • Options
    sufjan is great, but slightly overrated

illinois was in my top ten for last year. but i didn't think it was the best or most inventive album from last year and i don't think that he's a "genius". he's really good though. the album was a little long and he kind of over-uses the female choir/small string group by the end of it

don't get me wrong, i still loved the album. that's just my opinion
  • Options
    merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Great album, amazing that he plays most of the instruments on the album too. John Wayne Gacy gives me the chills every time I hear it.

And Allessiana, you are right on, I love it when albums grow on me, and I can start putting the peices together/picking out the little things that make them special.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • Options
    sufjan is great, but slightly overrated

illinois was in my top ten for last year. but i didn't think it was the best or most inventive album from last year and i don't think that he's a "genius". he's really good though. the album was a little long and he kind of over-uses the female choir/small string group by the end of it

don't get me wrong, i still loved the album. that's just my opinion

I don't get you wrong I don't think. But I disagree on the genius thing. How much do you know about him?

::grins::

Aless

Tell them.
  • Options
    merkinball wrote:
    Great album, amazing that he plays most of the instruments on the album too. John Wayne Gacy gives me the chills every time I hear it.

And Allessiana, you are right on, I love it when albums grow on me, and I can start putting the peices together/picking out the little things that make them special.

oh yeah... gacy gaaaahhhh

any album that makes me go "huh?" is worth trying to understand.

people (radio djs) had trouble with WWS for that reason. they went HUH? not us because it's just like pj, but they don't know pj so it was Huh? Now after many spins, they're into it.

it just takes time.

Aless

Tell them.
  • Options
    i was just introduced to him id say right around november or so. illinoise is a really good album with alot of transitions and can be simple or busy at all different times. i enjoy the album alot but then i need to give it a rest for a bit.
  • Options
    CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    He is releasing the Illinois outtakes, alt-versions, ect on an album coming out in July.

I was hoping the new album talk would be about his next state album, he said it will be Texas, but unfortunately a release like this Illinois outtake stuff likely means no new Sufjan until 2007.
  • Options
    I think its amazing he can keep the 50 states project up, while still releasing other material. Insane!