Recommend me some new music

Sleight_Of_HandSleight_Of_Hand Posts: 58
edited January 2008 in Other Music
Hey guys. So I've been really busy recently and I don't have the time to find new music anymore so I thought i'd ask you lot to recommend me some new stuff to check out. It doesn't matter how old or new the bands are, just give me a few names which I might not have heard of so that I can check them out.

Just to give you an idea of what I like, here's a list of some of my favourite bands:

Pearl Jam
QOTSA
A Perfect Circle
Alice in Chains
Kyuss
Soundgarden
The Libertines
Bloc Party
Editors
Hope of the states
Manic Street Preachers
The Music
RHCP
Smashing Pumpkins
Radiohead

Cheers!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• the mars volta

isis
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    do yourself a favour

get into Clutch

they are amazing
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • FunkdogFunkdog Posts: 85
    black rebel motorcycle club
    muse
    the arcade fire
    the yeah yeah yeahs
    built to spill

hope you listen to either of these bands, I like 'em all and they weren't on your list.
    "Trying is the first step towards failure" - H.J.S.

"I have come here to chew bubble-gum, and kick ass! And I'm all out of bubble-gum!" R.P.
  • Dovetail Joint

They broke up years ago and are now Ivory Wire, but I prefer old Dovetail.

Powderfinger

I think they are Australia's Pearl Jam.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • smarchee wrote:
    do yourself a favour

get into Clutch

they are amazing

Clutch FUCKING ROCKS! I love these guys and they put on a hell of a live show.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    Clutch FUCKING ROCKS! I love these guys and they put on a hell of a live show.

another reason to find you some Clutch

they FUCKING ROCK !
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • everything is energy
  • writersuwritersu Posts: 1,867
    ok, maybe this is not new for you all, but how about Chiodos........my son turned me on to them and they are pretty good.........
    Baby, You Wouldn't Last a Minute on The Creek......

Together we will float like angels.........

In the moment that you left the room, the album started skipping, goodbye to beauty shared with the ones that you love.........
  • spnkrispnkri Posts: 137
    Dovetail Joint

They broke up years ago and are now Ivory Wire, but I prefer old Dovetail.

Powderfinger

I think they are Australia's Pearl Jam.

I haven't heard Dovetail Joint for almost 10 years. I had no idea they still made new music, even though they have a new name I guess. I'll have to check them out.
  • The Boxer Rebellion.

If you like Editors, you'll love them. Very similar but a lot better in my opinion.

They supported Editors on their recent European tour, and are doing some UK dates of their own over the coming months.

Check them out.

http://www.theboxerrebellion.net/
    ***Astoria, UK - 2006***
    ***Reading, UK - 2006***
    ***Wembley, UK - 2007***
    ***Nijmegen, Holland - 2007***

http://www.myspace.com/theeasymorningrebel
  • Hope of the states

By the way, great band. Shame they had to split after just two records.
    ***Astoria, UK - 2006***
    ***Reading, UK - 2006***
    ***Wembley, UK - 2007***

• JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    The Boxer Rebellion.

If you like Editors, you'll love them. Very similar but a lot better in my opinion.

They supported Editors on their recent European tour, and are doing some UK dates of their own over the coming months.

Check them out.

http://www.theboxerrebellion.net/
    perfectly right !
    I saw the boxer rebellion opening for editors in Brussels last october and they were amazing !
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • twojawastwojawas Posts: 318
    Arcade Fire
    Raine Maida's solo album is great
    Airbourne (fun!)
  • Gutter Twins, check out their new song, it's pretty damn good: http://www.myspace.com/theguttertwins

It features Mark Lanegan (Screaming Trees/QOTSA) and Greg Dulli (Afghan Whigs/Twilight Singers).
  • Julien wrote:
    perfectly right !
    I saw the boxer rebellion opening for editors in Brussels last october and they were amazing !

Nice to know they made an impression on the tour. Glad you enjoyed them.

My best mate plays drums with them and they are excellent, they deserve to be a lot bigger than they are.

Hopefully 2008 will be their year.
    ***Astoria, UK - 2006***
    ***Reading, UK - 2006***
    ***Wembley, UK - 2007***

• pirlo21pirlo21 Posts: 534
    I'm liking Okkervil River, Midlake, Wintersleep & Spoon at the moment.
    Cymru Am Byth

PJ albums, at the moment!! -
    1,Vs 2,Vitalogy 3,No Code 4,Yield 5,Ten 6,Backspacer, 7Pearl Jam 8,Binaural 9,Riot Act.
  • KannKann Posts: 1,146
    22-20's - s/t
    For some great blues rock.
  • smarchee wrote:
    do yourself a favour

get into Clutch

they are amazing

Amen to that!

Also, try 'Deadboy and the Elephantmen', 'Agents of Oblivion' or Dax Rigg's solo stuff.... great voice and fantastic song writer. Originally in New Orleans band 'Acidbath' but they split. Acidbath are fan-fucking-tastic but heavy as hell at times.

Also try, 'Electric Wizard' and 'Witchcraft' (Black Sabbath influenced, recorded on original equipment, no digital used.... proves for atmospherics to die for!!), 'Down' and 'Corrosion of Conformity' (New Orleans gods!).....
    Might be a little heavy for you but give them chance, COC especially, have a great back catalogue of varying tempos and song themes.

Oh oh oh!!! try 'Paw', 'Live', 'The Audreys', 'Saybia', 'Life of Agony', 'Peeping Tom' and 'Southern Isolation' too!

*looks through PC's music files*

'Wolfmother'..... 'Zakk Wylde' (solo stuff, EARLY Black Label Society albums - nothing after Hangover Music Vol. 6 (even that's tenuous...) and Pride and Glory)... 'Jefferson Airplane'....

I could do this all day :D
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • isis
    oceansize
    mono (the japanese band)
    sigur ros
    built to spill
    iron & wine
    *shels
    Thanatopsis
    Mr Bungle
  • Thanks for all the recommendations guys, I'll certainly be checking out some of the bands mentioned. Keep the names coming!
    Thanks for all the recommendations guys, I'll certainly be checking out some of the bands mentioned. Keep the names coming!

do you know of CHiodos?

In the moment that you left the room, the album started skipping, goodbye to beauty shared with the ones that you love.........
  • RockKingRockKing Posts: 431
    Hey guys. So I've been really busy recently and I don't have the time to find new music anymore so I thought i'd ask you lot to recommend me some new stuff to check out. It doesn't matter how old or new the bands are, just give me a few names which I might not have heard of so that I can check them out.

Just to give you an idea of what I like, here's a list of some of my favourite bands:

Pearl Jam
    QOTSA
    A Perfect Circle
    Alice in Chains
    Kyuss
    Soundgarden
    The Libertines
    Bloc Party
    Editors
    Hope of the states
    Manic Street Preachers
    The Music
    RHCP
    Smashing Pumpkins
    Radiohead

Cheers!

Listen to Mark Lannegan's first solo album, "The Winding Sheet". It's fucking amazing. Has a couple cool cameos from Kurt Cobain and Krist Novoselic.
    --"I'm like an opening band for the sun"

--"We’re taking pills to get along with life… the pills are YIELD and PJ’s music. Then we create words to call our own = our analysis of YIELD." - YIH
    I am out of the loop, (nice way to say don't have a clue)...because I only know #'s

1,4,6,14 and 15.

The only other music I know is from muy sons. One is 15 and likes what he calls "screamo" (sounds like old school metal to me) and then my newly turned back 17 year old who is into Fifty Cent and TheGame and although he's a white guy, and not new, Emiman who I think is a great writer.......

• BinauralBinaural Posts: 1,046
    Don't know if you'd class it as 'new', but if you haven't heard it check out Icky Thump by The White Sripes. I cannot put into words how incredible this album is :) You can thank me by buying me a solid gold house, I've always wanted one of those :rolleyes:
    ~*~*~*~*PROUD EVENFLOW PSYCHO #0026~*~*~*~*

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^RED MOSQUITO #2^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Dublin 08/06
    Katowice 06/07 London 06/07 Dusseldorf 06/07 Nijgemen 06/07
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Amen to that!

Also, try 'Deadboy and the Elephantmen', 'Agents of Oblivion' or Dax Rigg's solo stuff.... great voice and fantastic song writer. Originally in New Orleans band 'Acidbath' but they split. Acidbath are fan-fucking-tastic but heavy as hell at times.

Also try, 'Electric Wizard' and 'Witchcraft' (Black Sabbath influenced, recorded on original equipment, no digital used.... proves for atmospherics to die for!!), 'Down' and 'Corrosion of Conformity' (New Orleans gods!).....
    Might be a little heavy for you but give them chance, COC especially, have a great back catalogue of varying tempos and song themes.

Oh oh oh!!! try 'Paw', 'Live', 'The Audreys', 'Saybia', 'Life of Agony', 'Peeping Tom' and 'Southern Isolation' too!

*looks through PC's music files*

'Wolfmother'..... 'Zakk Wylde' (solo stuff, EARLY Black Label Society albums - nothing after Hangover Music Vol. 6 (even that's tenuous...) and Pride and Glory)... 'Jefferson Airplane'....

I could do this all day :D
    As long as by Life of Agony you mean the older stuff :) River Runs Red is ace.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • OdinOdin Posts: 599
    Check out Neurosis if you haven't already. They seem right down your alley, based on your favourites. They have an extensive catalog and are one of the most underrated yet influential bands of our time. I'm a fan of a lot of the bands you listed, but Neurosis blows them all away.
  • COG. Great Australian band, like Tool crossed with soundgarden abit.
  • spongersponger Posts: 3,159
    http://www.boilermakermusic.com/studio.asp

"Trunk" and "Here Comes Rolling" are ones I would try on first.
  • Earl Greyhound
    The New Rivals
    The Polyphonic Spree
    The Hymns
    The Redwalls
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-