Dinosaur Jr In Tampa FL January 19th!

edited December 2006 in Other Music
Dinosaur Jr, WITH THE ORIGINAL LINEUP, WILL BE IN TAMPA FL ON JANUARY 19TH AT THE CUBAN CLUB!!!!

i am so fucking excited and if any of you live within the area you should definitely get some damn tickets!!!!!!!! THEY ARE 10 FUCKING DOLLARS

EVERYONE SHOULD GO
An ounce of deception
Kills a pound of pain
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• lukin321lukin321 Charlotte, NC Posts: 864
    I just saw that but I don't own any of their albums. Any recommendations??
    9/1/98, 8/9/00, 8/12/00, 4/11/03, 4/12/03, 4/13/03, 4/19/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04, 10/3/04, 10/8/04, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 10/30/2013, 4/8/2016, 4/9/2016, 4/11/2016, 4/13/2016
  • 3sheets3sheets Posts: 284
    the early stuff w/ lou and murph (and j of course).

i saw them in Orlando a year ago (give or take) when the reunion first began. i never thought i'd get to see that original lineup again. they were just fantastic. and j is just such a phenomenal guitarist. very overlooked.

are they coming closer to orlando? b/c i'm usually on top of concerts in all of FL, and somehow this one slipped me. i must be getting slow in my old age.
    Live Free or Die!
  • 3sheets wrote:
    the early stuff w/ lou and murph (and j of course).

i saw them in Orlando a year ago (give or take) when the reunion first began. i never thought i'd get to see that original lineup again. they were just fantastic. and j is just such a phenomenal guitarist. very overlooked.

are they coming closer to orlando? b/c i'm usually on top of concerts in all of FL, and somehow this one slipped me. i must be getting slow in my old age.

This is a weird one off thing that has to do with the new shoe J designed, and the anniversary of the local skate park.

I have heard almost no promotion or anything anywhere else.

Check out JMascis.com for details.

But hell its only 10 bucks before service charge.

I already have my tickets.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • PJPixiePJPixie Posts: 3,026
    Good Stuff, if you're anywhere near Tampa you should go!!
    The best use of Life is Love.
    The best expression of Love is Time.
    The best time to Love is Now.

I'm never as good as when you're there.........
  • j.roj.ro Posts: 111
    My friend's band was touring with them last summer. When they finally came to New York City we saw them at Irving Plaza. The show was amazing and they may be the LOUDEST band I have ever seen...it was insane. Just letting you know!!!
    Oh half his life, a hand me down, wasted away
    Of he fills it up, with the love, of a girl...
    yeah, they are VERY loud. it's great to see the old geezers can still crank it up. :)

i think that was the loudest show i've heard at the Orlando HOB.
    Live Free or Die!
  • StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    I saw them in 05 and I couldn't hear for a week.

I stood right in front of Mascis.

probably one of the top 3 greatest moments of my life.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    I just started getting into these guys. I didn't get a chance to during the 1990s when they were around alot. I remember a buddy offered me one of thier albums to get into. I don't think I accepted it. Anyways, I really like them, their songs grow on you. I really like Where You Been, spinning that alot lately. Out There, track # 1 is killer. They seem to definitly have some "punk" in them.
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • sadprofessorsadprofessor Posts: 1,034
    smarchee wrote:
    I just started getting into these guys. I didn't get a chance to during the 1990s when they were around alot. I remember a buddy offered me one of thier albums to get into. I don't think I accepted it. Anyways, I really like them, their songs grow on you. I really like Where You Been, spinning that alot lately. Out There, track # 1 is killer. They seem to definitly have some "punk" in them.

Where You Been is my favorite, although the first 3 records seem to be the accepted "classics" among the die hards.

They have started playing more of the songs from the post Lou Barlow era recently, Out There being one of them.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
    to anyone going to the show, how's the sound and setup at the Cuban Club? what's capacity there? just curious b/c i'd be coming from O-town for the show.
    Live Free or Die!
  • sadprofessorsadprofessor Posts: 1,034
    3sheets wrote:
    to anyone going to the show, how's the sound and setup at the Cuban Club? what's capacity there? just curious b/c i'd be coming from O-town for the show.

I have been led to believe that they have only recently started having shows there, so I think this will be a new experience for all of us, locals included.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    is it a one off show or are they touring?
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    intodeep wrote:
    is it a one off show or are they touring?

i believe its a one off to promote the new dinosaur jr nike skateboarding shoe.

which is actually ugly as hell.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
    StoneG82 wrote:
    i believe its a one off to promote the new dinosaur jr nike skateboarding shoe.

which is actually ugly as hell.

Cool. I saw the shoe a while ago and ... it is quite ugly!
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Hahahaha yes it is quite a massive chunk of some type of metals fecal matter with a little face on the side.

im really excited. yeah ive heard they were loud. its because j was orginally a drummer and he likes the guitar to be the core of the band, like the drums, so its drenched in guitar sound. even sonic youth told them to turn down the volume!
    the best part is, the bands even older than i am. most of their albums that are "definitive" are older than me, but im an avid fan!
    An ounce of deception
    Kills a pound of pain
  • where you been is also my clear fave dino jr album

looking forward to the new album :D
    2006 - Astoria, Dublin, Leeds
    2007 - London
    2009 - London, Manchester, London
    2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London
    2011 - Alpine Valley x2
    2012 - Isle of Wight, Manchester x2
    Where You Been? is great but...

the first three records (Dinosaur, YLAOM, Bug) are pretty much the cornerstones of my grungey noise - rock collection. (along with Sister and Daydream Nation, of course.)

You're Living All Over Me is their best record by far though. I honestly believe it to be the greatest guitar record ever made. Mascis shreds on that record like there's no tomorrow.

J Mascis rocks. can't wait for their DVD.
    I think their three best albums are
    you're living all over me
    where ya been
    green mind

i'd probalby start with one of the first two on that list if i was trying to get into dino. also download the song alone from their album hand it over one of my all time fav songs :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • ManimalManimal Posts: 152
    StoneG82 wrote:
    Where You Been? is great but...

the first three records (Dinosaur, YLAOM, Bug) are pretty much the cornerstones of my grungey noise - rock collection. (along with Sister and Daydream Nation, of course.)

You're Living All Over Me is their best record by far though. I honestly believe it to be the greatest guitar record ever made. Mascis shreds on that record like there's no tomorrow.

Agreed, that is such a solid album, they play a lot off of it live too. Sebadoh is touring soon too, can't wait!
    DVD: http://db.etree.org/Manimal
    Posters: www.expressobeans.com/trader.php?id=Manimal&view=4
  • My creative writing teacher let me borrow "Where You Been" a couple weeks ago. I bought it last week! Such a great record. Haven't heard anything else by them though. I will probably get YLAOM next. Hopefully thye come thorugh NY sometime before I go to college.