REM, 'Horse to Water'

harmless_little_f***harmless_little_f*** Posts: 8,005
edited April 2008 in Other Music
is a real heavy messy punk song. Don't remember the last time I heard that from REM. :)
'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    yes, I listened to the album yesterday and I must say i'm quite happy they wen back to rock music...
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • Good song... the whole album is a fucking masterpiece!! :D
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    got the album yesterday, really really growing on me.....

Until The Day Is Done could have been on Automatic....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Until The Day Is Done could have been on Automatic....

Yeah it kind of has a 'Sweetness Follows' or 'Drive' feel to it. Currently my favourite on the new record.
    Yeah it kind of has a 'Sweetness Follows' or 'Drive' feel to it. Currently my favourite on the new record.

Yeah, definately, also loving mr richards and sing for the submarine.....

a very soild album, great to hear Buck's guitar again.....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    I don't know if I would call it a punk song, but the whole album is a sound we haven't heard from REM in a long time.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • Yeah, definately, also loving mr richards and sing for the submarine.....

a very soild album, great to hear Buck's guitar again.....

Mr Richards is my favourite from the album :D
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

• gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    I haven't picked up the new album yet. How does it rate with their others? I'm so anxious to listen.
  • gabers wrote:
    I haven't picked up the new album yet. How does it rate with their others? I'm so anxious to listen.

Well I've never been a huge fan before, aside from the singles, but to me it's about as good as my favourite albums from theirs, New Adventures, Out of Time and Up... certainly the best for a while.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

gabers wrote:
    It depends. Did you like the last few albums?

It certainly has a LOT more energy than Around The Sun, an album which I like. I never really listen to Reveal, so i can't comment there, but also has much more energy than Up, which I thought was a brilliant album. Songs are much more upbeat than the past few ablums.

Some of the songs sound like older songs. For instance, whenever I hear the intro to Until The Day Is Done, I start singing Swan Swan H.

I don't think it sounds too much like older albums though. It takes the energy of the old albums, and mixes them with the songwriting and singing of the new albums, if that makes any sense at all. It did in my head. :)
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

Well I've never been a huge fan before, aside from the singles, but to me it's about as good as my favourite albums from theirs, New Adventures, Out of Time, Hi-Fi and Up... certainly the best for a while.
    :rolleyes:

New Aventures and Hi-Fi are usually referred to as their collective name, New Adventure In Hi-Fi, as it's one album.

:p
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

• audiodave wrote:
    :rolleyes:

New Aventures and Hi-Fi are usually referred to as their collective name, New Adventure In Hi-Fi, as it's one album.

Fuck, bugger, wank, shit.

I told you I wasn't a fan. :p

• Fuck, bugger, wank, shit.

I told you I wasn't a fan. :p

haha! OWNED!!!!

• haha! OWNED!!!!

I think you mean Pwned!! ;)

• I think you mean Pwned!! ;)

no... I mean owned. Thats why I typed owned :rolleyes:

audiodave wrote:
    It depends. Did you like the last few albums?

It certainly has a LOT more energy than Around The Sun, an album which I like. I never really listen to Reveal, so i can't comment there, but also has much more energy than Up, which I thought was a brilliant album. Songs are much more upbeat than the past few ablums.

Some of the songs sound like older songs. For instance, whenever I hear the into to Until The Day Is Done, I start singing Swan Swan H.

I don't think it sounds too much like older albums though. It takes the energy of the old albums, and mixes them with the songwriting and singing of the new albums, if that makes any sense at all. It did in my head. :)

Good analysis dude :)

It's really growing on me now, I'm loving the energy, works well as an album.....

I loved Up, a flawed masterpiece but Reveal and Around The Sun lost me a little, there was only a few songs i liked on each....
  • no... I mean owned. Thats why I typed owned :rolleyes:

1) You know what irony is right?

2) And you have seen the ridiculous word 'pwned' floating about on the internet?

If you can answer 'yes' to either of the above, have a sense of humour, please? ;):)

1) You know what irony is right?

2) And you have seen the ridiculous word 'pwned' floating about on the internet?

If you can answer 'yes' to either of the above, have a sense of humour, please? ;):)
    This thread is about REM's song Horse To Water. You started it so you should know this. :p

Horse To Water sounds a bit like the REM song Hyena from Life's Rich Pageant. To me at least.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

• audiodave wrote:
    This thread is about REM's song Horse To Water. You started it so you should know this. :p

Horse To Water sounds a bit like the REM song Hyena from Life's Rich Pageant. To me at least.

I started this thread, so I have the right to de-rail it. ;):p

*runs away*

• ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    Well I've never been a huge fan before, aside from the singles, but to me it's about as good as my favourite albums from theirs, New Adventures, Out of Time and Up... certainly the best for a while.

Glad to be of service! ;)
  • Byrnzie wrote:
    Glad to be of service! ;)

Oh yes, and thankyou Byrnzie. :rolleyes: :p

• 1) You know what irony is right?

I do have a sense of humour, a very good one infact.

Now Mark, if we're playing the patronising game, listen to Unkie Audio and get back on topic...

*hugs* ;):p

• I do have a sense of humour, a very good one infact.

Now Mark, if we're playing the patronising game, listen to Unkie Audio and get back on topic...

*hugs* ;):p

Yeah, fair do's - I think I'm just bored of the topic. :p

Right, I'm off to the UFOs thread. 'Is it? Or isn't it? Of course it isn't, where's the bloody shadow?'

• Yeah, fair do's - I think I'm just bored of the topic. :p

Right, I'm off to the UFOs thread. 'Is it? Or isn't it? Of course it isn't, where's the bloody shadow?'
    so don't start a bloody thread on a whim in future! :rolleyes:

thats right, bugger off to UFO's and talk about bright lights and shadows :p

• so don't start a bloody thread on a whim in future! :rolleyes:

thats right, bugger off to UFO's and talk about bright lights and shadows :p

Don't talk like that, or you'll be the first one they look for. :p

• Don't talk like that, or you'll be the first one they look for. :p

they did that years ago... they didn't get far, us people from 'fullers earth' are a clever bunch ;)

• RicsardRicsard Posts: 1,943
    I have never heard a bad material from R.E.M. - only those 4 albums (Fables, Document, Reveal, Around The Sound) which just doesn't give me so many many chills down my spine like other stuffs they've released... but they're still good records. Reading your enthusiastic reflexion make me happy and curious...I get it as soon as possible!!!
    I am pretty sure I won't be disappointed, R.E.M. might still be in my top 3 bands ever (shared it only with Pearl Jam and Depeche Mode)!
    Budapest.Budapest.Arnhem.Antwerpen.Vienna.Madrid.Katowice.Nova_rock.Nijmegen.Rotterdam.Berlin.Dublin.Belfast.London.Venice.Prague.Stockholm.Copenhagen.Vienna.Leeds.Milton_keynes.Padova.Prague.Seattle1.Seattle2.Chicago1.Budapest.Cracow.Vienna..>>>LONDON.BERLIN1.BERLIN2
    Eddie: Dublin & London
  • urbanhippieurbanhippie Posts: 3,007
    Can someone please tell me which other REM song it sounds like? It's driving me crazy :o
    A human being that was given to fly.

Wembley 18/06/07

If there was a reason, it was you.

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • Can someone please tell me which other REM song it sounds like? It's driving me crazy :o

My answer? Quite a few of them. Still good though. :)

• JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    Can someone please tell me which other REM song it sounds like? It's driving me crazy :o
    it sounds great. Go out and buy the Cd, you won't be dissapointed. Listened to it 4 tiems today and it's really awesome. A great R.E.M. Rock as Monster, with a clear influence from previous albums (a few tracks reminded me automatic for the people).
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm