'4th Of July' by Soundgarden is dirty

harmless_little_f***harmless_little_f*** Posts: 8,005
edited March 2008 in Other Music
Yeah!
'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I feel you dog. It's that nasty little riff going on underneath that makes it that way. So cool they knew how to pull back on that and let it remain in the background. Tracks like that make this one of the best rock albums of all time.
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    I hear you dude.....

been on a major Soundgarden trip lately.....

4th of july and Mailman are probably 2 of my favourite songs....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • 4th of July is one of my fav SG songs; definitely in the top 3

Has anybody ever heard the Evanescence cover of it? It wasn't as horrible as I had anticipated, but not all that very good either.

Three crooked hearts, swirls all around

You can't spell Gossard without G-O-D
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SV-7iPSuOa0

wrap your filthy little ears round that!
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    Fourth of July..... the absolute BEST soundgarden song. That riff, along with the way he sings the song, along with that guitar solo equates to heavan. You have to be a fool to not think its ATLEAST one of their best songs.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    The atmosphere created by this song is intense. It has that rare combo of an intensely cruel atmosphere with real substance that makes it so great.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    One of their best songs; my favorite on Superunknown
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • Duder5kDuder5k Posts: 278
    Sludgy, grungy, dirty, whatever you wanna call it. My favorite song from Superunknown.
  • Fourth of July..... the absolute BEST soundgarden song. That riff, along with the way he sings the song, along with that guitar solo equates to heavan. You have to be a fool to not think its ATLEAST one of their best songs.

The studio mix is amazing. There's like 5 vocal layers played back on top of each other. One part is screaming whilst the other sings in a baritone. Props to Brendan O'brien for the production.
    The studio mix is amazing. There's like 5 vocal layers played back on top of each other. One part is screaming whilst the other sings in a baritone. Props to Brendan O'brien for the production.

You know I only picked up on the baritone part a few days ago when I was listening to the song, the effect of all those vocals together is genius! I can't understand how people can listen to a song like this and say Soundgarden or Cornell weren't that good......
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    I can't understand how people can listen to a song like this and say Soundgarden or Cornell weren't that good......

I do believe I feel exactly the same :D

Just listening to Mailman right now, another masterpiece of a song.....

Superunknown is one of the best rock albums ever....

I also think they're a lot better than Zeppelin, Soundgarden took everything to another level.....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • lephtylephty Posts: 770
    i miss them=(
    I also think they're a lot better than Zeppelin, Soundgarden took everything to another level.....

Ohh that's a bold statement right there! Personally I wouldn't say one was necessarily better than the other, but I certainly have more of an emotional attachment to Soundgarden's music. Probably because Soundgarden were less about sex/drugs/rock 'n'roll, and Cornell's lyrics deal with a lot of the things I have had problems with i.e. religion, depression, feeling like an outsider etc. But yeah, musically speaking Soundgarden were an absolutely mind-blowing band, and Cornell in his prime was unquestionably in the same league as Plant, if not better.