Is it just me or is Deftones' White Pony...

harmless_little_f***harmless_little_f*** Posts: 8,005
edited March 2008 in Other Music
not as great as it's cracked up to be? I love Deftones but I keep sticking this in expecting this to blow me away and as a whole, it doesn't. And Mini Maggit (back to school), my favourite 'on the album', isn't even on it.
'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• RockKingRockKing Posts: 431
    not as great as it's cracked up to be? I love Deftones but I keep sticking this in expecting this to blow me away and as a whole, it doesn't. And Mini Maggit (back to school), my favourite 'on the album', isn't even on it.

White Pony is by far my least favorite Deftones album. They were in the middle of their transition into what they wanted to be, and for a while they sort of lost their identity, and I think it shows on that album.
    --"I'm like an opening band for the sun"

--"We’re taking pills to get along with life… the pills are YIELD and PJ’s music. Then we create words to call our own = our analysis of YIELD." - YIH
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    hmm, always blows me away, but it was my first deftones record so, you know.....

Digital Bath owns....

But Im also a HUGE fan of their self titled.....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • you need the version of White Pony with the white cover to get mini maggot. I wasn't real into it at first, but after a few listens it grew on me.
  • RicsardRicsard Posts: 1,943
    It's a pretty good record, and might be their (most) accessible record...but I prefer Around the Bend and even their self titled. However Saturday Night Wrist was a slightly disappointing record...
    Budapest.Budapest.Arnhem.Antwerpen.Vienna.Madrid.Katowice.Nova_rock.Nijmegen.Rotterdam.Berlin.Dublin.Belfast.London.Venice.Prague.Stockholm.Copenhagen.Vienna.Leeds.Milton_keynes.Padova.Prague.Seattle1.Seattle2.Chicago1.Budapest.Cracow.Vienna..>>>LONDON.BERLIN1.BERLIN2
    Eddie: Dublin & London
  • Ricsard wrote:
    It's a pretty good record, and might be their (most) accessible record...but I prefer Around the Bend and even their self titled. However Saturday Night Wrist was a slightly disappointing record...

Dude it's Around the F..... ah fuck it, I won't go there. ;)
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

• thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094

I like that better than the one they put out after it
  • thunderDAN wrote:
    I like that better than the one they put out after it

Well then we're not on the same page bro. The self-titled is far more interesting to me.

Saturday Night Wrist is their most underated.....

edit: sorry im going off topic lol i just lve this band.....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • Saturday Night Wrist is their most underated.....

edit: sorry im going off topic lol i just lve this band.....

Yep, SNW is brilliant. :)

Yep, SNW is brilliant. :)

That it is :)

I see what you mean about White Pony.....

I think it's a good album for a beginner but not so much a fan favourite.....

there's some amazing work on self titled and SNW.....
  • SiDSiD Posts: 76
    White Pony is a modern classic. No other way to describe it. Easily their best album.
  • kenshuntkenshunt Posts: 2,863
    I got the version with Back To School on it :), i enjoy around the fur the most, but what do i know lol.
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Around The Fur is easily their best album, but White Pony does have some great tunes. Digital Bath and Change (in the house of flies) are both top draw stuff, and who can forget Passenger featuring Maynard James Keenan?! That song fucking owns.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    White Pony is probably my favorite Deftones cd. Around the Fur is okay but the only songs i like are the title track, My Own Summer, Be Quiet and Drive and Mx. the self titled was okay.. never heard Sat. Night Wrist or Bsides.
    Around The Fur is easily their best album...

Hmm, I wouldnt say 'easily'.....

Deftones have an awesome body of work.....
    Hmm, I wouldnt say 'easily'.....

Deftones have an awesome body of work.....

I think it's their most consistent album, I agree they have some amazing songs on other albums, but this is the one I always come back to.
    I think it's their most consistent album, I agree they have some amazing songs on other albums, but this is the one I always come back to.

I reckon that may be more down to taste...

White Pony and self titled are incredibly consistent.....

lol damn it, im used to agreeing with you, this is odd :D
    I reckon that may be more down to taste...

White Pony and self titled are incredibly consistent.....

lol damn it, im used to agreeing with you, this is odd :D

Ha ha, I hate you now! I'm sure a lot of it is down to taste, all I know is that I sometimes skip the odd song on some of their albums, but I can listen to ATF straight though.
    Ha ha, I hate you now! I'm sure a lot of it is down to taste, all I know is that I sometimes skip the odd song on some of their albums, but I can listen to ATF straight though.

yeah i get that, and i agree it has great flow as an album.....

think I just love White Pony and self titled the same amount too.....
  • Lukin66Lukin66 Posts: 3,063
    White Pony is fine, but I love the self titled best. Though Passenger with Maynard is always haunting.
    deep, deep blue of the morning
    gets to me every time
    man all this deftones talk....

gonna have to throw some on now....

saw them last year for the first time.....was blown away.....

and i met Steph.....
    It's been a few years since I last saw them live, great live band though.
    It's been a few years since I last saw them live, great live band though.

yeah agreed.....

it was the only time ive seen them and i got front row, felt quite lucky, it was one hell of an experience....
  • Lukin66Lukin66 Posts: 3,063
    The last time I saw them live, Chino busted out a cover of Say it Ain't So....gotta say, I like his better than River's version.
    deep, deep blue of the morning
    gets to me every time
  • SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    Digital Bath owns....
    i agree. everything about it is CRAZY and its unlike any other.
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569

Back to School put me off buying a Deftones album for a while, stilll dont like it now, Pink Maggit is awesome though one of my favourite Deftones tracks, hows that for fucked up?:D

Knife Party, Street Carp, Teenager, Korea, Passenger and Change are all also awesome.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • I bought this album recently; it's great. My favourite track is probably RX Queen. Any idea of what album to get next?
  • hodgehodge Posts: 519
    love this album, my fav from theirs

pink maggit + passenger = awesome

their first 3 albums are pretty good in my opinion
    i honestly haven't given the newer ones a chance
    ..and you will come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable
    hodge wrote:
    i honestly haven't given the newer ones a chance

you really, really should.....they're awesome :)
  • stickfig13stickfig13 Posts: 1,532
    Too bad Chino's voice is shot. Saw them last year, and it was really bad. I don't think he was even singing most of the songs.
    Sacramento 10-30-00, Bridge School 10-20 and 10-21-01, Bridge School 10-25 and 10-26-01, Irvine 06-02-03, Irvine 06-03-03, San Diego 06-05-03, San Diego 07-07-06, Los Angeles 07-09-06, Santa Barbara 07-13-06, London UK 06-18-07, San Diego 10-9-09, San Diego 2013, LA 1 2013