Simon and Garfunkel!

harmless_little_f***harmless_little_f*** Posts: 8,005
edited November 2007 in Other Music
I'm only realising in the last few weeks how brilliant they are! I always mistook them as 'happy hippies' but most of their music is pretty melancholic.
'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    I absolutely love beautiful vocal harmonies so Simon & Garfunkel are fantastic. Wednesday Morning 3am is amazing.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    yip, they wrote some truly beautiful songs
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • I use to like Paul until I read that he ripped off Graceland from Los Lobos

Now I think he's a hack

edit...here's the link...read for yourself!

http://www.jambase.com/Articles/Story.aspx?StoryID=9391&pagenum=3
    For Those About To Rock !

Art changes people. People change the world.
  • eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    "Coo coo ca-choo, Mrs. Robinson"

that has got to be one of the Greatest lines in all lyrical history! :D

and I'm totally not joking here. :D
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • eMMI wrote:
    "Coo coo ca-choo, Mrs. Robinson"

that has got to be one of the Greatest lines in all lyrical history! :D

and I'm totally not joking here. :D

hee hee hee! i've always been fond of :

"ain't you got no rhymes for me? doo doo, doo doo doo, doo, feelin' groovy!"

:D

seriously, i love Simon and Garfunkel... i listened to their Greatest Hits album over and over again when I travelled through England waaaay back when I was about 13.... so now it always feels like being on a bus or a train... :)
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    in my head i'd like to have 'America' on repeat as i sat on one of those rail freight things that hobos and Willy Nelson use to go across America...

that just described one of the greatest dreams of my life... when i retire and sell all my houses thats what i'm going to do. :)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • I use to like Paul until I read that he ripped off Graceland from Los Lobos

Now I think he's a hack

edit...here's the link...read for yourself!

http://www.jambase.com/Articles/Story.aspx?StoryID=9391&pagenum=3

Eh, according to that article he may have ripped off one song. Not the whole album. I don't know what the deal is so I won't speculate, but I can only assume that there were other factors involved. Such as a corrupt record exec. Not sticking up for him or anything, but the article is just one point of view.
    Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    yes, I have their greatest hits album and it's pretty good. Some really nice melodies..
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • Eh, according to that article he may have ripped off one song. Not the whole album. I don't know what the deal is so I won't speculate, but I can only assume that there were other factors involved. Such as a corrupt record exec. Not sticking up for him or anything, but the article is just one point of view.

From what I have read it's the overall concept and not just one song that was the real problem...anyways, regardless, to not give 1 note of credit to this underappreciated band(Los lobos) is real low life...

Shame on Paul :(
    For Those About To Rock !

Art changes people. People change the world.
  • fadafada Posts: 1,032
    Bookends is one hell of an album and "old friends" has to be the one of the most poigant song ever
  • They are amazing. I saw them live back in 1991 or 1992.Gordon Lightfoot opened for them. Unbelievable concert.
    My favorite songs are "Patterns", and "The Boxer".

The last line in Patterns: My life is made of patterns, that can scarcely
    be controlled.
    Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's Soul remains Unawakened.
    Anatole France