I'm at present finding out whether I like Deep Purple

harmless_little_f***harmless_little_f*** Posts: 8,005
edited April 2008 in Other Music
So far, Black Night is awesome. Hopefully everything else doesn't suck.

Edit: OMG Speed King is awesome as well..

Edit: To be honest, I cannot fault the drumming on Fireball..

Edit: It's starting to get annoying the amount they go on about cars and chicks.

Edit: Which makes it very ironic that I think the next song, Space Truckin', rocks.. Ah well, it's about trucks not cars.
'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Never saw the appeal myself :o Blandly entertaining dad-rock.

But then, you got it from your dad, right? :D
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Never saw the appeal myself :o Blandly entertaining dad-rock.

But then, you got it from your dad, right? :D

Bingo!

I guess what I'm trying to say is I'm being 'blandly entertained'! :D
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

I'm downloading Machine Head right now to give another chance before I officially consign it to the list of massively praised classic rock albums that fail to stir both my mind and loins.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I'm downloading Machine Head right now to give another chance before I officially consign it to the list of massively praised classic rock albums that fail to stir both my mind and loins.

Dude all I can do is be honest... I cannot fault the musicianship or the complexity of these songs, and they're pretty entertating... even if the lyrics are terrible. I'm diggin' Deep Purple, it's official.

• reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Black Sabbath beat them by a country mile.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Black Sabbath beat them by a country mile.

Not heard much of them to be honest.. but I don't think I like Ozzy's voice.

I'm currently listening to Highway Star, track one of Machine Head. It's pretty bad to be honest :o Lengthy passages of Bach played on electric organ in rock music can never sound anything but cheesy.

And as I type, Maybe I'm a Leo has started and is an improvement with a nice funky riff but frankly it's just not my kind of music.
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I'm currently listening to Highway Star, track one of Machine Head. It's pretty bad to be honest :o Lengthy passages of Bach played on electric organ in rock music can never sound anything but cheesy.

And as I type, Maybe I'm a Leo has started and is an improvement with a nice funky riff but frankly it's just not my kind of music.

Highway Star is bad.. worst song so far on this 'best of' album. Check out my cars and chicks comment above.

• tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Couple of different lead singers among numerous line-up changes...one album does not quite capture them well.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
    Highway Star is bad.. worst song so far on this 'best of' album. Check out my cars and chicks comment above.
    :D

I decided not to subject myself to it and turned it off. I learned from when I listened to the entirety of Dream Theater's Images & Words just so I could review it. It was PAIN.

*goes and listens to Sonny Sharrock's Black Woman to hear some REAL guitar playing*
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    have u eva herd smoke on da water
  • muppet wrote:
    have u eva herd smoke on da water

Yeah that's the only one I'd heard prior to this.. Pretty cool song.