Cold War Kids, Robbers and Cowards

harmless_little_f***harmless_little_f*** Posts: 8,005
edited November 2007 in Other Music
I've just bought this based on 2 songs I heard on the radio - both of which I like very much - but on the whole, it's probably the first album I've ever bought that's given me the reaction 'I don't have a clue whether I like it or not'. I might do, but I don't know. I think I do. Or do I? Weird.
'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    i had the exact same reaction at first. it took me a long while to get into it. it is a very odd and idiosyncratic album. but it's a good one too, and one that will grow on you.
  • it took me a long while to get into it. it is a very odd and idiosyncratic album. but it's a good one too, and one that will grow on you.

I really think it's going to grow.. it's certainly very clever, I'll give it that.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

• stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    I liked it at first but dont like them at all now. Their sound really annoys me!!
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    i saw these guys live not that long ago and it was one of the best live gigs i have ever borne witness to. saint john was just totally off the hook. :D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • stu gee wrote:
    I liked it at first but dont like them at all now. Their sound really annoys me!!

LOL I can see how it'd go that way too. We'll see what happens.

I'm liking Hospital Beds.

I don't know why I have a little piece of paper icon on the top left of this thread.

• PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    i saw these guys live not that long ago and it was one of the best live gigs i have ever borne witness to. saint john was just totally off the hook. :D
    eheh :D
    saw them last night in Shepherd's Bush for the 3-4 time (it's complicated)...
    they seemed getting a bit tired last night, been a very long year for them.. but they still rock.
    CWK opening for PJ is my wet dream right now :p

and the album definitely grows on you, but I'm starting to get tired of it, seeing as it's the only one they have I over-heard it.
    I hope they go get some rest then release a new album :)
    they played a new song last night (stupidly messed up the recording so in fact I haven't recorded.)
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    Their album is awesome
    I saw them a few months ago in a small venue in Brussels. They were really great.
    It's worth seeing them if you have the opportunity.
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    Pegasus wrote:
    they played a new song last night (stupidly messed up the recording so in fact I haven't recorded.)
    howwas the new song ?
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • zircona1zircona1 Posts: 293
    I saw them at the ACL Fest in Austin, they played at 3:30 in 90+ degree heat, and there were a LOT of people who showed up for them. I left early to go see St. Vincent, but seeing them in those conditions wasn't exactly fun (I know I can't control certain things, but I can complain about them).

Then, recently they scheduled a show at The Blue Note in Columbia in December and I'm like "Yes!", but then they cancelled it due to a scheduling problem. So hopefully it's going to be rescheduled (or so they say).

I need to get Robbers and Cowards.
    "As long as the music's loud enough, we won't hear the world falling apart."—Jubilee

"I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions." - George Carlin
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    I've just bought this based on 2 songs I heard on the radio - both of which I like very much - but on the whole, it's probably the first album I've ever bought that's given me the reaction 'I don't have a clue whether I like it or not'. I might do, but I don't know. I think I do. Or do I? Weird.
    You're probably having such an odd reaction because the music blowing your lovely little mind as you're hearing something so distinct and that can barely be boxed into a category. They don't sound like anyone or anything else and that's so rare.

That's one reason why I like the band so, so much. And their live show? I've seen them twice this year and I'm going back for a third, they're just that amazing. Talented, distinct, quirky, enthusiastic...talented.

You really like them. You just don't know it yet ;).
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,851
    decent band
    good record
    good live act

pretty good stuff, doesnt blow me away, but I like it once in awhile
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    ive got tickets to see them in december which was very exciting cos i keep hearing how good they are live. but it's the night before i have trial so i may not be able to go :(
  • You know, this is a great album.

• reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    They grate on me, like I'm a block of cheddar.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
    They grate on me, like I'm a block of cheddar.

hmm thats how i feel about the arcade fire. :p:D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    hmm thats how i feel about the arcade fire. :p:D

No Cars Go live was an emotional moment my eyes welled up, that song has power beyond it's wisdom, I tell ya.:)
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
    No Cars Go live was an emotional moment my eyes welled up, that song has power beyond it's wisdom, I tell ya.:)

for you i have no doubt thats true. :) heck even ive been known to get emotional whilst hearing songs live.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    i hear ya. those first 2 tracks are great but then i kind of tune out to the rest of it, maybe i just have a two song attention span
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • iamsampjiamsampj Posts: 784
    this is one of the most amazing albums i've heard all year :) i first heard "hospital beds" on a cd of "bands to watch 2006" at work...i love that my job introduces me to so many great bands...anywho, i was hooked!

i think i listened to robbers and cowards for 2 months straight when i first bought it...on the first day it was released of course ;)

so sad that they're not coming to florida on this tour. i can't wait to see them again.

if you have a chance to see them on the rest of their tour...DO IT!! they don't disappoint.
    yes...i do feel like a human. i do not feel like a tree.
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    You know, this is a great album.
    HA!
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • Obi OnceObi Once Posts: 918
    They're not my favorite new band, but definitely grew on me, even more since I saw 'm live about a month ago.
    your light's reflected now
  • PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    Julien wrote:
    how was the new song ?
    I found it less original than the previous songs.. shame I messed up the recording..