So should I bother buying NY's Chrome Dreams?

harmless_little_f***harmless_little_f*** Posts: 8,005
edited November 2007 in Other Music
I know that Young Neil gets infinite praise round here. He's only half grabbed me in the pass (can you get 'half grabbed'?) but I'm thinking of making an impulse purchase.

Should this be it?
'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    Neil has always been hit or miss for me, but I've heard amazing things about this album from both critics and fans. I'm picking it up tomorrow after work.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    I liked it. :D
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Here is the deal it sounds like you don't own many neil albums. What do you own? I guarantee i can name probably 5 albums of his that are better that you don't own that would be a better service for you to have. Maybe after you get fully grabbed this would be a good one to own.

now that said to play devils advocate it does have ordinary people on it which is in my top 5 neil young songs ever written. I've waited over 10 years since i first heard ordinary people to get a good studio version (all i have was live bootleg versions) so for me this is a must by for neil fans becasue of this song alone. Sure Spirit Road, Dirty old man, & No Hidden Path are all decent songs too but the rest of the album is a bit flakey to me.

so if you buy this album don't buy it for the whole album buy it for ordinary people.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Harmless, it's not very impulse if your sat thinking about it and disscussing it on a forum forehand to it.:)
    An impulse purchase would be browsing through the cd store, something catching your eye and you buying it with little thought going in to it.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Harmless, it's not very impulse if your sat thinking about it and disscussing it on a forum forehand to it.:)
    An impulse purchase would be browsing through the cd store, something catching your eye and you buying it with little thought going in to it.

Very good point, very well made.

In which case I'll need to have another idea for an impulse buy, since obviously this can't be it! :D
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

• Red LukinRed Lukin Posts: 2,994
    I love it. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,851
    Its a good record well worth it

but Ive recently been redicovering "Everybody knows this is nowhere"

what a record
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    I like it. There are a few songs I could pass on, and while I love Ordinary People, its completely out of place here. Maybe if it was the last track? Boxcar gets a great arrangement, Spirit Road and No Hidden Path are great grooves. More hit than miss for me.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    I know that Young Neil gets infinite praise round here. He's only half grabbed me in the pass (can you get 'half grabbed'?) but I'm thinking of making an impulse purchase.

Should this be it?

no... trust me on this one.. when have i ever let you down musically?

you'll love the misery and introspection of On The Beach.. review:-
    On the Beach is redolent of the times in which it was made, infused with the paranoia of the Nixon era and bursting with bitterness. The songs are all five-star classics, but "Ambulance Blues" is the standout and the dark heart of a memorable album. It makes the perfect complement to that other miserabilist NY masterpiece "Tonight's the Night", although a double bill of listening to those two back-to-back is probably not good for the health.

also After The Goldrush and Harvest are essential.. truly essential NY cd's...

go. now.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    a good buy.

go buy:
    On The Beach
    Tonight's The Night
    Sleeps With Angels
    After The Gold Rush
    Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
    Reactor
    Live At Massey Hall
    Live Rust

NOW.
  • pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    So good!
    GET IT NOW!!!!!!! RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • dunkman wrote:
    no... trust me on this one.. when have i ever let you down musically?

you'll love the misery and introspection of On The Beach.. review:-
    On the Beach is redolent of the times in which it was made, infused with the paranoia of the Nixon era and bursting with bitterness. The songs are all five-star classics, but "Ambulance Blues" is the standout and the dark heart of a memorable album. It makes the perfect complement to that other miserabilist NY masterpiece "Tonight's the Night", although a double bill of listening to those two back-to-back is probably not good for the health.

also After The Goldrush and Harvest are essential.. truly essential NY cd's...

go. now.

'Misery and introspection'?

Ooh you do know how to push my buttons Dunk. ;)

That's the one for me.