Options

The Raconteurs: Is it just me...

harmless_little_f***harmless_little_f*** Posts: 8,005
edited May 2006 in Other Music
...or can I hear shades of messy grunge in their stuff? I mean essentially they are sort of Indie. I mostly hate the Indie scene, but what I've heard from the Raconteurs is different. Seems to have hints of the loud, raw sound early grunge had.

But I'm probably mad.
'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    You mean, there are some jingly jangly chordal bits with a chorus pedal, then someone hits the big muff distortion and it all sounds swampy? Yeah, I can go along with that. You're no madder than I, anyway. :)
  • Options
    You mean, there are some jingly jangly chordal bits with a chorus pedal, then someone hits the big muff distortion and it all sounds swampy? Yeah, I can go along with that. You're no madder than I, anyway. :)

LOL I think that's it. There's a nice verse and then GRRRR, and the drums thrash with crashes and all, but it's totally straight 44 jamming.

Or something.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

• Options
    USCJeffUSCJeff Posts: 92
    I am seeing them next month in LA, excited to see how they sound live
  • Options
    Carlos DCarlos D Posts: 638
    Definitely sounds like Grunge.I nearly came myself when I heard Steady as She goes,it was a perfect grunge song.Hope the album has more of it.Anyone know if they'l be playing Ireland?
    It may be the devil or it may be the Lord
    But you're gonna have to serve somebody.

www.bebo.com/pearljam06
  • Options
    Carlos D wrote:
    Definitely sounds like Grunge.I nearly came myself when I heard Steady as She goes,it was a perfect grunge song.Hope the album has more of it.Anyone know if they'l be playing Ireland?

I've actually heard 4 off the album now, through radio. Yeah it all sounds excellent. One of the 4 sounded really weird - not so straight forward - but still really unique and great.

• Options
    psycosmicpsycosmic Posts: 504
    the funny thing is that jack white once said (or was it brendan benson?) that this album would be detroit's equivalent to 'nevermind'...

i can definitely hear what fins described and you called 'grunge'... but i don't hear nirvana at all, 'broken boy soldiers' is just an excellent rock album, raw, messy guitars and all... in places, it sounds to me like the album that led zeppelin never recorded...

highly recommended!
    ~~~
    Some days you wake up and sit on a park bench next to an eighty year old Russian architect, and some days you don't. I think this is my new life philosophy.

http://epplehausradio.blogspot.com/

pearl jam @ the astoria, london, 20/04/06
  • Options
    psycosmic wrote:
    the funny thing is that jack white once said (or was it brendan benson?) that this album would be detroit's equivalent to 'nevermind'...

i can definitely hear what fins described and you called 'grunge'... but i don't hear nirvana at all, 'broken boy soldiers' is just an excellent rock album, raw, messy guitars and all... in places, it sounds to me like the album that led zeppelin never recorded...

highly recommended!

Wow thats funny. Because I CAN really hear some of what could have been Nirvana, Bleach era. Nice confirmation.

• Options
    psycosmic wrote:

highly recommended!

No someone ''close to the band'' who heard nevermind before it came out said that this sounded like it.

http://www.nme.com/news/112607.htm

www.bebo.com/pearljam06
  • Options
    Carlos D wrote:
    No someone ''close to the band'' who heard nevermind before it came out said that this sounded like it.

http://www.nme.com/news/112607.htm

thanks for clearing that up!

i've heard the whole of 'broken boy soldiers' and still don't get the nirvana comparison at all...
    yes, there are messy guitars...
    yes, there's a raw energy to it...
    yes, it's an amazing album...

but soundwise i can't hear anything that's exclusive to nirvana - no! i'll give you "grunge spirit" though...
    comparing it to early zeppelin is a whole different story though...
    ~~~
    Some days you wake up and sit on a park bench next to an eighty year old Russian architect, and some days you don't. I think this is my new life philosophy.

• Options
    Low_Light03Low_Light03 Posts: 1,227
    The whole album rocks. I hope Jack White sticks with this band and has the White Stripes as a side project.
    If You Give, You Begin To Live

But You Might Die Trying
  • Options
    The whole album rocks. I hope Jack White sticks with this band and has the White Stripes as a side project.

"This is very much a long-term project for me," White said of The Raconteurs, who release their debut album 'Broken Boy Soldiers' on May 15.
    "I always do what's comfortable to me," he added. "I always do what feels right. This record happened because I was passionate about doing it, and it's very much long-term for me. Besides, I could never shoot the bass player in The White Stripes - this band gives me the opportunity."

http://www.nme.com/news/22958
    ~~~

• Options
    psycosmic wrote:
    but soundwise i can't hear anything that's exclusive to nirvana - no! i'll give you "grunge spirit" though...

That's what I'd say too. It has a "grunge" element to it, but not necessarly overtly.
  • Options
    rage333rage333 Posts: 157
    When will it be released?? I have heard some and I like it ALOT! I want to buy the album.
    "when the power of love overcomes the love of power,the world will be at peace"-Jimi Hendrix
  • Options
    Jack White is the fucking god of all gods.

Problem is douche bag fans hate him because of everything that isn't about the music.

Seven Nation Army is the best riff of any pop song in recent memory.
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    ...or can I hear shades of messy grunge in their stuff? I mean essentially they are sort of Indie. I mostly hate the Indie scene, but what I've heard from the Raconteurs is different. Seems to have hints of the loud, raw sound early grunge had.

But I'm probably mad.

yes you probably are mad, but that is beside the point. ;)

have you heard the greenhornes? they provide the rhythm section for the raconteurs and their sound is decidedly raw, messy and low fi. plus they kick arse. with jack white and brendan benson, this project can't help but be worth everyone's while.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    rage333 wrote:
    When will it be released?? I have heard some and I like it ALOT! I want to buy the album.

15TH of May I think.

www.bebo.com/pearljam06
  • Options
    does anyone have the acoustic version of "steady, as she goes" that's free on itunes this week and could convert it to mp3?

itunes isn't working on my computer...
    ~~~

• Options
    RAT!RAT! Posts: 115
    ive only heard the acoustic version of 'steady as she goes' i love it but

i woundnt call it "grunge"
  • Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,814
    i see you guys arent too familuar with grunge....

i would consider them to be more alt-rock and not indie rock at all
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg