Music that you THOUGHT you'd hate but...

harmless_little_f***harmless_little_f*** Posts: 8,005
edited March 2008 in Other Music
...you've ended up loving:

Kimya Dawson.

'Remember that I Love You' is so weird but so awesome.
'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pete yorn.

years ago when I first picked up music for the morning after, I was HIGHLY skeptical (don't usually like solo artists). But since, I've seen him like a dozen times live and he's one of my favorite artists. A few months after I got his first album I gave it to my brother for christmas too and he was like "what the hell is this?" He was pleasantly surprised as well.
  • mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119

Kimya Dawson.

I have no idea who that is.........

I think kiss would be mine as i don't really like that sort of cheese much. Oh and i like a Linkin' Park song!!!!!
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Lately I heard MGMT Time To Pretend on the radio and was really weirded out at the beginning of the song but the more I listened, the more I liked. Now I got the whole album and I cant get enough of it.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • uuummm this might be the typical music coming of age... but I used to hate...

1. Radiohead
    2. Arcade Fire
    3. Modest Mouse

but now I love all 3 lol
  • urbanhippieurbanhippie Posts: 3,007

Kimya Dawson.

YAY!! :D;):p
    A human being that was given to fly.

Wembley 18/06/07

If there was a reason, it was you.

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    uuummm this might be the typical music coming of age... but I used to hate...

1. Radiohead
    2. Arcade Fire
    3. Modest Mouse

but now I love all 3 lol

exactly the same here.....

but man, when the love for radiohead first hits you, wow, amazing isnt it?

Im seeing them for the first time this summer and i cant wait.....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    Any music with a country influence.

It started with a slight interest in Ryan Adams then eventually progressed to the point where a good third of the music I listen to has a least a little pedal steel or banjo mixed in.
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    30 Seconds To Mars *eeeek*!

There's so many reasons why I shouldn't like that band. From the annoying fans, trendy hair-cuts, actor turned singer etc, on paper it sounds awful. But there's no doubting Jared Leto has a pretty impressive voice and they have some catchy songs. Before anyone says "they're shit", please at least check out this video:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=evZKQKhxWlw
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Flaming Lips - Based off just "She Don't Use Jelly" years ago, I never thought I'd like them, figured they were a novelty, one-hit wonder. Fast forward to the release of Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots where I first got into them, not realizng they were the same band. Now I put Yoshimi and Soft Bulletin near the top of my favorite discs, and do appreciate 'jelly' a bit more.

M.I.A. - Don't normally go for rap/hip-hop, whatever the hell she is. But I love her approach and use of percussion.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • Blind MelonBlind Melon Posts: 911
    Rush
    Coheed & Cambria
    Jimmy Eat World
    John Mayer
    Linkin Park
    Steely Dan
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • SchokiSchoki Posts: 5,072
    Tom Waits
    The Mars Volta
    Sigur Ros
    Kyuss
    Porcupine Tree
  • RomanzaRomanza Posts: 115
    Jimmy Eat World

The Middle drove me crazy......but they are good.

"This feeling is wonderful...don't you ever turn it off."
    -JJ
  • My Morning Jacket... fuckin' awesome! :D
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    i cant recall this ever happening to me. my instincts are usually spot on and recommendations that have come my way have done so cause the person thought the band was worth my while. so i dont think ive ever gone into listening to a band thinking i'd hate them then being pleasantly surprised. besides, why wouldd i listen to a band if i thought they were shite anyway? :p:)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    i cant recall this ever happening to me. my instincts are usually spot on and recommendations that have come my way have done so cause the person thought the band was worth my while. so i dont think ive ever gone into listening to a band thinking i'd hate them then being pleasantly surprised. besides, why wouldd i listen to a band if i thought they were shite anyway? :p:)

Well I've read about bands before, or heard other people's negative opinions and kind of concluded that they probably wouldn't be my sort of thing. Then heard a song on the radio, tv, whatever, and really liked it, only to find it was the band I had written off because of hearing negative feedback about them. Doesn;t happen that often, but it can happen.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Well I've read about bands before, or heard other people's negative opinions and kind of concluded that they probably wouldn't be my sort of thing. Then heard a song on the radio, tv, whatever, and really liked it, only to find it was the band I had written off because of hearing negative feedback about them. Doesn;t happen that often, but it can happen.

well it doesnt happen to me. i don't listen to the media. and im arrogant enough not to trust the majority of people's opinions when it comes to music. so i trust my own ears and my own instincts. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • PatrickBatemanPatrickBateman Posts: 2,243
    30 Seconds To Mars *eeeek*!

There's so many reasons why I shouldn't like that band. From the annoying fans, trendy hair-cuts, actor turned singer etc, on paper it sounds awful. But there's no doubting Jared Leto has a pretty impressive voice and they have some catchy songs. Before anyone says "they're shit", please at least check out this video:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=evZKQKhxWlw

I concur. I dont like their whole image thing they got going but Paul Allen and his band have some catchy and decent tunes. I am not going to hang their posters on my wall but I will listen to them occasionally. BTW, I have seen him in interviews say he wanted to be in a rock band but was kind of pulled in to being an actor....living the dream.....l-i-v-i-n the dream.
    however, I don't see myself listening to them for too long though
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
  • spnoonespnoone Posts: 628
    jay farrar
    pj harvey
    metallica
    talking heads
    elvis presley
  • jimmy eat world & paramore

going to see them both april 30th
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • Modest Mouse because I thought they were just another pop emo band....before I heard Good News and WDBTSES. Now I love them to death.
  • iamsampjiamsampj Posts: 784

Kimya Dawson.

isn't she fantastic!! i just saw her on saturday open for band of horses at a skate party in tampa....pretty good times, w/ the exception of the rain!

i didn't think that i would ever love bands like chromeo, justice, muscles, junior boys, hot chip, datarock...basically anything vaguely resembling techno-dance-electro-whatever. it's just so fun...and now i have a love affair w/ dancing my ass off :D
    yes...i do feel like a human. i do not feel like a tree.