Johnny Cash's 'HURT'

harmless_little_f***harmless_little_f*** Posts: 8,005
edited July 2006 in Other Music
is the most beautiful song I've ever heard. How much Johnny Cash stuff is this reflective and poignant? What else should I pick up of his? (I don't so much like his faster, more poppy country n western stuff.)
'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• LeaderOfMenLeaderOfMen Posts: 110
    it sounds alot like that song that Trent REznor wrote from Nine Inch Nails.
    I will make the world a better place...with my own, two hands.
  • it sounds alot like that song that Trent REznor wrote from Nine Inch Nails.

Yeah yeah yeah, I wondered who'd be the first to say that. I love how Cash changed it though. Incidentally, this is why I said Johnny Cash's 'Hurt' rather than 'Hurt' by Johnny Cash. The former implies Johnny Cash's version...
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

• LeaderOfMenLeaderOfMen Posts: 110
    i think it is truly amazing to think that johnny was sittin around listning to NIN and thinking...Man i should cover that song, would have been funnier to hear johnny say "i want to fuck you like an animal"
    I will make the world a better place...with my own, two hands.
  • "i wanna break my rusty cage and run" - johnny cash.

:p

His version of Hurt really is unbelievable though.. it brings tears to my eyes every single time i hear it, and there aren't many things that can do that to me.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    good but sad song. the video with johnny that i have, is pretty sad (the way johnny looks, no offense). anyone else seen this?
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • kdpjam wrote:
    good but sad song. the video with johnny that i have, is pretty sad (the way johnny looks, no offense). anyone else seen this?
    heartbreaking. :(
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • i think it is truly amazing to think that johnny was sittin around listning to NIN and thinking...Man i should cover that song, would have been funnier to hear johnny say "i want to fuck you like an animal"

Rick Rubin produced the album that that song appears on, and i remember reading an article that said that Rick suggested the song to Johnny Cash, he hadn't heard of NIN before that. But he said that once he heard it, he thought it was the most poignant song about drug abuse that he'd ever heard
  • Just to pull this thread back on topic (! I DO love Jonny Cash's 'Hurt', which I know he didn't write - but his version is better, IMO):

How much of Cash's stuff is this introspective and beautiful? Is it all 'grab a partner by the hand....' country and western? I don't like Ring of Fire etc. Which albums should I get if I like a more poetic, darker Cash? I'm thinking the 'American' series in general has some of the stuff I'm talking about. Anything else?

• Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    I much prefer the NIN version, I have to say. If that song is all Trent is remembered for in the grand scheme of things, it is still a worthy contribution to music. Its a classic.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    Johnny Cash's version of hurt is far better than nin's version in my opinion. I love most of johnny cash's work actually. The Folsom prison recordings are amazing, Folsom Prison blues is my fav song.

'When i was just a baby, my mamma told me son, always be a good boy, dont ever play with guns. But i shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die.'

I also think that the video for hurt is one of my favourite music videos ever, very emotional and powerful.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • danielsondanielson Posts: 25
    Yeah yeah yeah, I wondered who'd be the first to say that. I love how Cash changed it though. Incidentally, this is why I said Johnny Cash's 'Hurt' rather than 'Hurt' by Johnny Cash. The former implies Johnny Cash's version...

Your first post also gave me the impression that you thought Johnny Cash wrote it

"How much Johnny Cash stuff is this reflective and poignant?"

I think this set the tone for your post more than typing "Johnny Cash's 'HURT'" and expecting us to get it.

Obviously not a big deal, but you shouldn't have been surprised that someone posted that about trent reznor.

I think the most amazing thing about Johnny Cash's version is that the biggest reason it was a great cover is much more the fact that he was a dying old legend as opposed to anything great he did with the performance.

Not knocking it, cause I thought it was great too, but I don't think it would have had the impact if it had just been some dude giving the exact same performance, as opposed to Johnny Cash and the backstory (plus I think his wife had just died)
  • ElkaElka Posts: 43
    is the most beautiful song I've ever heard. How much Johnny Cash stuff is this reflective and poignant? What else should I pick up of his? (I don't so much like his faster, more poppy country n western stuff.)

I think the UNCHAINED album is amazing. There is some of the southern twang on it that you might not care for, but it's pretty hard to find a Cash album that doesn't have that. If you're looking for something along the same lines as his version of "Hurt" though, then I'd say definitely give a listen to the songs "Spiritual" and "Unchained" from that album.
  • No, i'm gonna go with NIN's version better
    10/31/99, 10/27/00, 06/01/03, 10/25/03, 07/07/06, 07/09/06, 07/15/06

Even Flow PSYCHO member #0020!!
    myspace.com/takingpunches
  • stonesgstringstonesgstring Posts: 4,613
    I love this version of the song. He has the perfect voice to pull off such an emotional and moving song.
    20/04/06 ~ 23/08/06 ~ 09/09/06

14/09/06, 16/09/06, 17/09/06, 19/09/06, 20/09/06 ~ The Stone lookalike leg of the 2006 tour

18/06/07 - Amazing, just amazing

04/07/06 ~Proud to be part of the AIC Astoria Crew~

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • suffragettesuffragette Posts: 253
    Johnny Cash is an American icon. He could be from no other place.
  • (! I DO love Jonny Cash's 'Hurt', which I know he didn't write - but his version is better, IMO)
    I agree. Johnny's version kicks Trent's ass. I loved the original, but once I heard Johnny Cash's version, I can't even listen to the NIN version anymore. The song is beautiful and brought tears to my eyes the first time I heard it and everytime since.

The video is beautiful and absolutely heartbreaking, especially given the fact that he lost June so recently. It's such a painfully beautiful video. I only hope to feel that kind of love one day.
    No time to be void or save up on life. You got to spend it all.
  • jezebeloriajezebeloria Posts: 600
    I can't even put into words what this song means to me. And I mean the NIN song. It is relevant to me for that point in my life and anyone else covering was just...
    PJ FANS ROCK!!!

Finally got that "One for the Thumb"!!! Got the "Six Pack". Now we're on a "Stairway to Seven"

Some words when spoken...can't be taken back.

"Seeing a brick wall straight ahead and stepping on the gas." Eddie...Pittsburgh 6/23/06
  • Aside from the American Recordings series, try and check out the Bitter Tears album, which is sort of a concept album about the Native American. The album is more like a folk album than a country record. "Apache Tears" from this album is particularly good.
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    all of Cash's stuff is pure greatness. however, I'd say his most "reflective" stuff are from the "American" albums.

I would suggest to start off with "The Legend of Johnny Cash" which has about 85% of his hits including "Hurt" and "When the Man Comes Around". after that, I'd get all the American albums (I think there are 5). you can hear the "reflection" in his tone in those songs.

"The Man Comes Around" (I think this is American IV) is my favorite but the one that was released last week (I believe American V) is also great. from that album, the songs "Sooner or Later God will Cut You Down" and "The 309" are great.
  • civ_eng_girlciv_eng_girl Posts: 2,001
    I appreciate that Johnny Cash respected the song (and presumably Trent), enough to do a cover of Hurt....

But nothing will ever top NIN doing the song.... the earth-shattering guitars at the end of the song are one of my favorite moments in modern music....

And Trent singing the song live on stage, solo on piano is one of the most beautiful things i have ever seen or heard.
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~