Sigur Ros

harmless_little_f***harmless_little_f*** Posts: 8,005
edited October 2006 in Other Music
I've just discovered this band from a friend. At the moment, I'm thinking wow. Double wow.
'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JSBEJSBE Posts: 1,077
    definately check out the webcast on their site...

http://sigur-ros.co.uk//tour/2005/20051127.php
  • lephtylephty Posts: 770
    totally amazing music to chill to. their new album is a bit more "rocking" but still just good music to chill to=p

saw them twice live... dead silent crowd.. cept for the first show when some jackass would scream during a quiet part.
  • GRIMMYGRIMMY Posts: 370
    I've just discovered this band from a friend. At the moment, I'm thinking wow. Double wow.
    Im glad more PJ fans are likeing this....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doc1eqstMQQ
    grimmy
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    wow, what a great video for that song. Thanks for posting the link, love this band.
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • *bump*

It's been a few days now and I'm completely obsessed. My wife is already thinking 'oh no, not another one'.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

• *bump*

It's been a few days now and I'm completely obsessed. My wife is already thinking 'oh no, not another one'.

• karma defectkarma defect Posts: 5,483

If you get the chance go see them live, they won't let you down. It is like a fairytale.
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
  • karma defectkarma defect Posts: 5,483
    For those interested here goes.;)

http://3voor12.vpro.nl/artiesten/artiest/3285366
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I had the pleasure of seeing them live and i strongly urge anyone who has a chance to not to pass it up. A great experience.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    I honestly think they are the most perfect sounding musical act i have ever heard. Listening to nothing song at the moment, absoluely beautiful. They were playing at a music festival i was at this year but i missed them, pretty pissed about that.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    my gf gave me takk and it is incredible. she's also seen them live and insists it was the most transcendent concert xp she's ever had, and she's seen more shows than anyone else i know!
  • MishralMishral Posts: 211
    They are just great!!
    Love them!
    Especially the () album.
    "The things you own will end up owning you"
  • ChrisChris Posts: 116
    Stunning band.
    When seeing PJ in Toronto in 05, they were playing accross the road from my hotel on the same night. Our hotel had a CD player, but only had non mrs friendly music with me, so bought Takk to chill to in the hotel.

Saw them live in Manchester in March and as one of the earlier posts says they were very good live. Those boys can certainly create a good racket when they want to.

Takk and () are both excellent albums.
  • EnigmaEnigma Posts: 59
    I've seen them twice (once at a symphony hall, perfect) and each time was cathartic. There are two types of live bands I like to see. The first are live bands that I love see because of their instrumental mastery. I would've loved to see Jimmy Hendrix in the 60s. The second kind of live bands I like to see are those that fall under the near-religious experience. Sigur Ros are under this category and are quite close to being transcendental. The whole live act- from the lighting/screen, strings, etc- it's an experience that has been said a lot, but they are a live band that could bring people happily to tears.
  • OutOfBreathOutOfBreath Posts: 1,804
    Enigma wrote:
    but they are a live band that could bring people happily to tears.
    Roger that. You can check that box next to my name. Saw them in a symphony hall in Oslo, and it was a religious experience. :)

Peace
    Dan
    "YOU [humans] NEED TO BELIEVE IN THINGS THAT AREN'T TRUE. HOW ELSE CAN THEY BECOME?" - Death

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert, Dune, 1965
  • I checked my account today. You know why? I'm streaming 'Takk' on the internet, and I think I'm just going to have to buy all their albums. It's a Sigur Ros spending spree for me.

ive been hooked on takk since i heard it and downloaded ageis bryant or whatever this morning. i look forward to hearing it out. i may be going on a cd bender soon between these guys and the flaming lips...

plus there are new bright eyes and foo fighters cd's to be had.
  • ive been hooked on takk since i heard it and downloaded ageis bryant or whatever this morning. i look forward to hearing it out. i may be going on a cd bender soon between these guys and the flaming lips...

plus there are new bright eyes and foo fighters cd's to be had.

unfortunately I heard their debut, Von, a few days ago and didn't like it - Sigur Ros that is. Which is a shame, 'cus I'm obsessed with everything else. Is it OK to not like one of your favourite bands' debut?

unfortunately I heard their debut, Von, a few days ago and didn't like it - Sigur Ros that is. Which is a shame, 'cus I'm obsessed with everything else. Is it OK to not like one of your favourite bands' debut?

no worries, i was planning on skipping that one anyway. and my love of the lips will not likely extend to their early indie days or that wierd ass album that had 4 discs to be played simultaneously.

but i know what you mean. i tend to get ocd and feel like i have to have all of a band's albums, even if i dont like some of them :)
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    Ive become kind of addicted to this band in recent times, never heard anything quite like them. Love this song and video particularly, absolutely beautiful. Its on the () album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3OJTZVKZx8
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.