Where should I start with The Pixies?

harmless_little_f***harmless_little_f*** Posts: 8,005
edited May 2006 in Other Music
OK, so I've never heard The Pixies. I know that Kurt once said that 'Nevermind' was basically an album of 'Pixies' rip-offs, and from others, that the Pixies were pretty important forerunners of grunge. So I always thought I should listen, just never got around to it.

I heard 'Monkey Gone to Heaven' the other day on the radio and I LOVED it. What should I begin with if I want to get into this band? I'm conscious of getting the best thing first, as my funds are pretty tight.

Thanks people.
'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
    The classic album would be Surfer Rosa or even Come on Pilgram EP. Those are the ones that inspired Ed and Kurt.

The song Monkey Gone to heaven is off the Doolittle album, another one worth picking up

They have a couple greatest hits if regular albums arent your style. Death to the Pixies is a good one. Its one cd greatest hits, other cd, live concert

Another is Wave of Mutilation Best of the Pixies

Check out their DVD;s as well, one called simply Pixies DVD. Its a great one.
    So its your choice really. Whether you want greatest hits or one of the actual albums.
  • Thanks for the advice. Really helpful. :) I'm generally an album man; I don't think you get a good picture of a band with 'best of's. Having said that, I bought the best of The Cure the other day. Because I knew that they would be pretty difficult to get into 'the hard way'. Really liked it.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

They came to my hometown in 2004, for their reunion tour, I ended up not going. It will most likely be a regret I have until the day I die.

Who passes up seeing the pixies live in concert?

The original poster is right in that, the pixies are considered by many people to be THE BAND of the 80's and early 90's. I think Bono and someone else said the Pixies were the most important band of their generation.

That may be debateable but they sure as hell are an amazing band.

Once you start getting into them, you will appreciate Joe Santiago's guitar playing. How many times have you seen the name Joe Santiago near the top of any Best Guitarist list? I havent seen any. Yet he is a great player.

And Black Francis's lyrics are so crazy. The lyrics to Monkey Gone to Heaven is an example. What the hell is the that about an underwater guy who controlled the sea?

The Pixies rule. Anyone who is into the Grunge scene needs to understand The Pixies are a huge influence on just about every seattle band from that period
  • Rob89Rob89 Posts: 22
    Start with Dolittle...may as well start with a classic.
  • karma defectkarma defect Posts: 5,483
    I started with Doolittle.
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    Surfa Rosa, Doo little, or when I start with a band, I usuually pick up a greatest hits album along with an actual album.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • jb13lettersjb13letters Posts: 220
    The classic album would be Surfer Rosa or even Come on Pilgram EP. Those are the ones that inspired Ed and Kurt.

The song Monkey Gone to heaven is off the Doolittle album, another one worth picking up

They have a couple greatest hits if regular albums arent your style. Death to the Pixies is a good one. Its one cd greatest hits, other cd, live concert

Another is Wave of Mutilation Best of the Pixies

Check out their DVD;s as well, one called simply Pixies DVD. Its a great one.

I think Death to the Pixies is out of print at this point (replaced by Wave of Mutilation), but you should still be able to find it used at a reasonable price. I have all their stuff, but I'd probably recommend starting there, because of the live disc.

I still need to pick up the DVDs, aren't there two out now?
    Statistically speaking, you're more likely to be pitied by Mr. T than you are to have feet.
  • HYLAHYLA Posts: 137
    I started with Doolittle. It is their classic, followed by Surfer Rosa.
  • ArabesqueArabesque Posts: 34
    I started with Surfer Rosa. It's a really good album and a good way to start. Doolittle is their best, but I think a person will appreciate Doolittle more after hearing Surfer Rosa first. Then pick up Come on, Pilgrim (if you can find it).

But stay far away from Bossanova. It's crap. I don't mind that the Pixies changed their sound, but I don't like the direction they went in. Trompe Le Monde is better than Bossanova, but still not as good as their first three.
    "This is another sing-a-long." - Eddie Vedder before singing Lukin live at Madison Square Garden.
  • jammerfalljammerfall Posts: 908
    Here's the order:

Doolittle
    Surfer Rosa
    Death To The Pixies (especially for the live disc!)
    Come On Pilgrim
    Bossanova
    Trompe Le Monde
    Best Of: Wave Of Mutilation
    Pixies
    Complete B Sides
    Pixies At the BBC
    "Hello Oregonians. Hello Washingtonians. Hello Portland..where the fuck are we? We're in Ridgefield!"
  • Their most accessable album is Doolittle.

I really never got what was so great about Surfer Rosa honestly.. i mean yeah.. it's a pixies album (which automatically makes it incredible if you've ever listened to the Pixies..) but every other album is like 5 times better than it.

Bossanova is my personal favorite though it depends on the day.

i say get doolittle first if you just pick one.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Arabesque wrote:
    I started with Surfer Rosa. It's a really good album and a good way to start. Doolittle is their best, but I think a person will appreciate Doolittle more after hearing Surfer Rosa first. Then pick up Come on, Pilgrim (if you can find it).

But stay far away from Bossanova. It's crap. I don't mind that the Pixies changed their sound, but I don't like the direction they went in. Trompe Le Monde is better than Bossanova, but still not as good as their first three.
    Bossanova is their Binaural or No Code.

in saying that, don't listen to that dick, make up your own mind.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    doolittle all the way
  • DieasGreyDieasGrey Posts: 124
    Start with Doolittle
    No one is Righteous.......
  • ramspamramspam Posts: 130
    They only have 4 regular studio albums (all of which are awesome in their own way) so there's no point getting a best of originally, in my opinion.

I got mine in this order: Trompe Le Monde
    Doolittle
    Surfer Rosa/come on pilgrim(you can get them together as one disc)
    Bossanova

All the albums are wonderful I'd recomend getting Doolittle or Trompe le Monde 1st I immediatly fell in love with Trompe when i got it but thats just my personal taste.
    Only fools have signatures...

+--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour:Member #20-+--+
  • chrisopaloozachrisopalooza Posts: 347
    DOLITTLE then SURFER ROSA then anything else in any order, but start with those two.
  • KELLYS LEASHKELLYS LEASH Posts: 184
    I think you can start anywhere and not be disappointed really. But to get a fuller picture check out Kim Deals other band The Breeders.I feel its good to know what the other band members are up to or have been up to interms of other bands. ( Like Pearl Jam and Bad Radio, Mad Season, Brad etc)
    29/05/00 -Wembley
    20/04/06 - The Astoria alley crew + got to shake Ed's hand
    25/04/06 -Jools Show + got Mike's autograph
    27/08/06- 07/09/06- 09/09/06-13/09/06-17/09/06-13/06/07-18/06/07
    ...Three crooked hearts and swirls all around...
  • Voodoo999Voodoo999 Posts: 11
    surfer rosa - their ten
    doolitle - their yield, a masterpiece
    bossanova - their no code, an acquired taste
    trompe le monde - their riot act, it is pretty good, but you get the feeling it could have been way better.
  • gusturtlegusturtle Posts: 442
    Doolittle
    Trompe le Monde
    Surfer Rosa

That'll keep you busy (& happy) for a few months.

Three absolutely great albums.
  • blacknapkinsblacknapkins Posts: 2,176
    Listen to "Hey" three times in a row. Your life will be forever changed. :)
    "Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~
  • capybaraletcapybaralet Posts: 145
    Doolittle is the one to start with, in general. I like Surfer Rosa better, but it is much crazier, and doolittle is basically universally adored.

Also, I recommend checking out The Breeders, a project of Kim Deals (the Pixies' bassist) I like them just as much, although they are different and have a bit less edge.
    everything=3

2-1-0

4-3-2-1-0
    2---2--3---3--2----1

2-2-2-3-3-3-2-2-0

M
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    I say start at the start.

Chronological is usually best, that way you can hear the evolution of the band's sound, gives a better perspective for me at least.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Listen to "Hey" three times in a row. Your life will be forever changed. :)

Just wanted to stop by and say that I did. And it was. I can't wait to get hold of an album now. :)

• LeiaLeia Posts: 22
    I think Surfer Rosa was my first "contact" with The Pixies, I actually had their albums all at once, my boyfriend was a huge Pixies/Pearl Jam/Neil Young lover eleven years ago :)

Their "Best of" albums I buyed for him, he was too buzy studying that period (hehe).

We had the chance to see them live twice: 2004 he went to Amsterdam, I saw them at Rock Werchter. 2005 we went to Pukkelpop, it was the only reason I went there (Marilyn Manson is actually a joke lol)

I screamed my lungs out, we were so excited we could share this with our friends, the boys been into the Pixies since 15 years or so...

Typical for the Pixies, at a concert, they don't realy "talk" between the songs, they play one song after the other, but with such an ease, the chords are in their fingers, Francis screams from the beginning 'till the end.... It was the best Pixies experience for the lot of us! (We had something like: "now we can die") LOL

:)
    November 7th, 1996 Le Zenith, Paris
    August 30th, 2006 Sportpaleis, Antwerpen

• InkdaubInkdaub Posts: 235
    I would get them all. The Pixies are very consistant at making great music. You'll have favorites but will probably like almost anything you hear from them. There is a split cd that features both Surfer Rosa and Come On Pilgrim which would be a good place to start if you find it. If not you can get Surfer in any record store.
  • LOL this was supposed to be another post, sorry.

• Sexy2aFaultSexy2aFault Posts: 388
    Bossanova is the marijuana album. It is so dreamy and spacy for a basic rock album. Velouria,All over the World,The happening... Light one up fellas? Nah..

Doolittle is the easiest one to listen to and has the "hits", Trompe Le Monde is probably the most rocking start to finish.
  • Irish_lolaIrish_lola Posts: 14
    Bossanova was always my favourite, much prefer it to Surfer Rosa & Doolittle.
    It's kinda spacey, surf guitarish but that's not to say it doesn't, ahem, rawk. Just listen to Velouria or Is She Weird (which is rather sexy). I think it's a really complete, together album. But that probably comes from its almost constant rotation in my tape deck in the early 90s (along with Ten and Sonic Youth's Dirty).
    Aaah, them were the days :)