Options

Can anyone educate me about country/folk music?

harmless_little_f***harmless_little_f*** Posts: 8,005
edited May 2006 in Other Music
It's so trendy to dislike American country music. I HATE country and western music a la Dolly Parton, Billy Ray Cirus, that guy with a radio mike and big cowboy hat etc. Flipping stereotypes.

BUT, I DO like what some call alt.country or 'folk': Counting Crows, Drive-By Truckers, bits of Jewel. And I believe even PJ incorporates a tiny bit of country influence in songs like Of the Girl and Thumbing My Way. And I love what Ed does with his uke.

I want to make sense of where good American folk comes from. Is it something to do with different states? Is 'country and western' different from other forms of 'folk'? What is bluegrass? What about Cajun folk influences? What is New Orleans music like? All of these, as far as I understand it, are forms of folk.

I would love some help in deciphering why I'm so confused. I love some American folk-influenced music. Until I decide why, I have to tell people that I like country music occasionally, which I don't think is true. I certainly dislike 'country and western' = anything on CMTV.
'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I am far from the expert on this type of music but woody guthrie is a good place to start if you are looking for a folk sound.

Obviously early bob dylan. Freewheelin Bob is a great album.

As for country Hank Williams Sr, Willie Nelson (guess he is country western) and Johnny Cash are they only ones i truely enjoy.

now if you like alt country or if you are looking for that Check out uncle tupelo, jayhawks, and son volt. they are some of the big names i like. the son volt album Trace is really good.

hope that helps.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    intodeep wrote:
    I am far from the expert on this type of music but woody guthrie is a good place to start if you are looking for a folk sound.

Obviously early bob dylan. Freewheelin Bob is a great album.

As for country Hank Williams Sr, Willie Nelson (guess he is country western) and Johnny Cash are they only ones i truely enjoy.

now if you like alt country or if you are looking for that Check out uncle tupelo, jayhawks, and son volt. they are some of the big names i like. the son volt album Trace is really good.

hope that helps.

Thanks, yeah that's really helpful. :)
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Options
    reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Try Steve Earle
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
  • Options
    ajedigeckoajedigecko \m/deplorable af \m/ Posts: 2,430
    i can only speak for the country music i enjoy.

1. Charle Daniels Band
    2. Alabama
    3. Hank Williams Jr. or Sr.

hope this helped.
    live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.
  • Options
    eclecticeclectic Posts: 244

A John Martyn mention! Hoorah.Am I the only person who thinks that EV sounds very like JM on 'Indifference'.No bad thing IMO,as its a great song,much like many of JM's(Bless the Weather,Couldn't Love you More etc).
    'All the rusted signs,we ignore throughout our lives,
    Choosing the shiny ones instead'

Reading 06 - Torino 06 - Wembley 07
  • Options
    eclectic wrote:
    A John Martyn mention! Hoorah.Am I the only person who thinks that EV sounds very like JM on 'Indifference'.No bad thing IMO,as its a great song,much like many of JM's(Bless the Weather,Couldn't Love you More etc).

Yep, I'm sure Ed's very, very influenced by the Big Man. He's not as good, though. ;)

I saw JM in Cambridge the other week. Mighty stuff. He even played May You Never, and told a joke about George Bush that would get him locked up in Gitmo if he told it in America. :D
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    eclecticeclectic Posts: 244
    Yep, I'm sure Ed's very, very influenced by the Big Man. He's not as good, though. ;)

I saw JM in Cambridge the other week. Mighty stuff. He even played May You Never, and told a joke about George Bush that would get him locked up in Gitmo if he told it in America. :D

I have seen him a few times live and he has been a bit hit and miss.At the Corn Exchange a few years ago now he was total crap as he was so stoned he just rambled on for yonks,and did what seemed like a 3 hour version of Big Muff!He is still shit hot though.
    'All the rusted signs,we ignore throughout our lives,
    Choosing the shiny ones instead'

Reading 06 - Torino 06 - Wembley 07
  • Options
    eclectic wrote:
    I have seen him a few times live and he has been a bit hit and miss.At the Corn Exchange a few years ago now he was total crap as he was so stoned he just rambled on for yonks,and did what seemed like a 3 hour version of Big Muff!He is still shit hot though.

Yeah, I was at that gig too, I know the one you mean. He only plays 100 minute sets now, maximum, with no encore, since he had the leg op. Actually, the shorter sets don't do the music any harm at all.
  • Options
    Double post.
  • Options
    RebisRebis Posts: 7
    Alt country/folk:
    Townes Van Zandt- Flying Shoes (songwriter's songwriter. Considered the greatest americain songwriter by many musicians, critics)
    Doc Watson -Elementary, Then & Now
    Ryan Adams -JacksonVille City nights
    Chris Whitley -Living With the Law, Hotal vast Horizen

Real country:
    Wylan Gennings

You can sample all of it on amazon.
    "Your revolution is over Mr. Lebowski. The bums lost. I suggest you do what your parents did, and get a job sir!!!"
  • Options
    NakedClownNakedClown Posts: 545
    You already mentioned the DBT... that right now, to me, is some of the best music made in recent years. The string of Decoration Day - Dirty South - and A Blessing and a Curse - is a sequence of albums that ANY band would be proud to have. And yet many people don't know them.

Kathleen Edwards - Canadian Alt-folk-country. Very good.

I consider My Morning Jacket to be Alt Country and enjoy some of their stuff...

You are correct - "commercial" country music is pure garbage. But there are a few artists who have had commercial success in recent years that I enjoy: some of Brad Paisley's stuff. Like some of Garth's older stuff... and George Strait plus a cold beer can be a great combination...

As someone else said, you can't go wrong with older artists - Johnny Cash...
  • Options
    merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    As far as bluegrass, I'm no expert but I think the traditional country sound evolved from bluegrass. With bluegrass you'll have more mandolin, fiddle, and harmonies. For classic bluegrass search out Bill Monroe, the Stanley Brothers. More recent stuff would include Old & In the Way, which had Peter Rowan, David Grisman, and Jerry Garcia. Their self titled album is excellent, has a great cover of the Stones 'Wild Horses'.

Also, another recommendation that has more of an alt-country type sound is Jenny Lewis & The Watson Twins - Rabbit Fur Coat. Great album with focuses on the vocals and harmonies.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • Options
    nofxernofxer Posts: 18
    Two words. RYAN ADAMS. I think of alot of his more country stuff as the country records pearl jam never made. He's amazing, check out his album cold roses thats a good starting point.
  • Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    If you want to hear a great old time string band, try Old Crow Medicine Show.

They'll blow you away!

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    The Anthology of American Folk Music might be another thing you need to pick up.

http://www.npr.org/programs/morning/features/2002/jul/anthology/

Get down with radio programs/stations such as NPR, Sounds Eclectic, World Cafe, and All Songs Considered if you really want to expand your musical horizons.

At least, those are some of my personal favorites.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Options
    InkdaubInkdaub Posts: 235
    Check out John Fahey and Dwight Yoakam. Maybe Chris Isaak if you like the Yoakam. Try M. Ward. Nickel Creek is pretty good if a little poppy. I forgot the guy's name...John something...but he does the intro to Deadwood and is pretty decent.

I'm not really a country folk sort of guy but the above I like.
  • Options
    Get Johnny Cash at Folsom Prison. It might not be Country in the true sense of the word, but it really is good!