Options

Tom Waits

harmless_little_f***harmless_little_f*** Posts: 8,005
edited May 2006 in Other Music
Does anyone else love Tom Waits? I just discovered him, like, a few days ago and I think he's already my favourite artist discovery for aaaages. I think I like absolutely everything he's produced, and I don't often say that.
'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    man I LOVE Tom Waits. He is the only songwriter that rivals Dylan.

I just discovered him a few months ago when I purchased "Bone Machine" on a whim. It took a while but eventually I started loving it.

Since then I've bought ten or so of his records....pretty much all of the Island (Swordfishtrombones, Rain Dogs, Franks Wild Years) and ANTI years. (Alice, Mule Variations, Blood Money, Real Gone). Those are his best periods, IMO. I only have a few of his early records, (Small Change, Closing Time, etc.) and those are okay....but I'm a bigger fan of his wierd stuff.

Tom Waits is truely one of the last remaining geniuses in the music world today. Everything he touches turns to gold. I've been hearing rumours about a box set called "Orphans" that's scheduled to come out around September 25th.....so there's something to look forward to.

I wish he would tour :(

I'd give anything to see the man in concert. Check out youtube.com for some AMAZING tom waits performance videos.

I'll bump the Tom Waits thread I started not too long ago....there's some good TW banter in there.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • Options
    shahrilshahril Posts: 288
    StoneG82 wrote:
    man I LOVE Tom Waits. He is the only songwriter that rivals Dylan.

thats what ive been hearing too...
    still cant completely get into him but i think objectively i can say hes quite the great songwriter
    I've seen so many people try and copy Eddie Vedder's voice. It's as if if you don't sound like him you're not a man. - Emmett Roslan

http://theshahril.blogspot.com

London 20/04/2006
  • Options
    StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    one of the things I enjoy about Tom Waits records is the fact that they take a while to sink in. You guys know what I mean?

for instance, I'll buy one of his records, play it a few times, then think "oh...well...this is um...okay I guess", and with more listens, the melodies and certain songs start to stand out...and eventually you are listening to a masterpiece record.

"Real Gone" is a huge grower. I played the record for the first time and thought "wow...this is terrible"...but eventually I started to find the beauty underneath the mess. It sure did take a LONG time though. "Top of the Hill" is a horrible choice for an opener. Should have gone with "Hoist that Rag".
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • Options
    wpost211wpost211 Posts: 124
    Small Change is my favorite Waits album. Some classic stuff like "Jitterbug Boy" "Step Right Up" "The Piano has been Drinking" and "I Wish I Was In New Orleans." Check it out....
    "there's a lot to be said for nowhere...."

1996 - Randall's Island II 1998 - MSG I
    2000 - Jones Beach II & III 2003 - Uniondale, MSG I & II
    2006 - E. Ruth I & II 2007 - Lollapalooza
    2008 - MSG I & II, Hartford 2009 - Philly IV
    2010 - Newark, MSG I & II