So which The Pogues album should I get first?

harmless_little_f***harmless_little_f*** Posts: 8,005
edited December 2007 in Other Music
I could really get into 'em.... but which one first?
'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    I've just gotten into them within the last six months or so myself, but from what I've read, heard, and been told, I believe what is their second album, "Rum, Sodomy,and the Lash" might be their best. The cd I bought recently is the re-mastered version with six bonus tracks. A friend of mine who introduced me to them says they are the best live act he's seen, period. Great, talented, crazy, fun band.
  • nutmeg81nutmeg81 Posts: 627
    ya know u'd think i'd have an idea?!!

they playin dublin sunday nite....25th anniversary....soooooo tempted to go!
    26/10/96 dublin
    01/06/00 dublin
    23/08/06 dublin
    11/09/06 paris
    18/06/07 london
    17/08/09 manchester
    18/08/09 london
  • Definitely Rum, Sodomy and the Lash.
  • Just got tickets to see them in March in Chicago, can't wait!:D

Rum Sodomy and the Lash is definitely my fav. If you should fall from grace with god is another really good one.
    Obama/Biden '08!!!
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    If I Should Fall From Grace with God is my favorite. And the best news about the Spring shows on the East Coast and Chicago, is that there will (hopefully) be West Coast shows again next year too. Shane was in really good form this last time through.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • gazgaz Posts: 233
    Rum,Sodomy and the Lash!!
    23/8/06.
    18/6/07.
    22/6/10.
    23/6/10.
    20/6/12
    21/6/12
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    I've seen the Pogues five times and Shane MacGowan and the Popes once.
    First saw the pogues before they broke up back in 1991, 0r 1992 in my crappy Essex home town of Harlow of all places.

What album to get first? Any of the first three. They're all classics.
    'Red Roses for me' is their first album and has great songs like 'Dark Streets of London', 'Streams of Whisky' and 'Kitty' on it. 'Rum Sodomy and the Lash' has 'A pair of brown eyes' and 'The band played waltzing Mathilda' e.t.c, e.t.c. And 'If I should fall from grace with God' has 'lullaby of London', 'Medley', 'The Broad Majestic Shannon'.

Personally, I'd get their 3rd album first. But you need to get all three anyway, so just get all three at once. It'll make the decision easier for ya.
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    nutmeg81 wrote:
    ya know u'd think i'd have an idea?!!

they playin dublin sunday nite....25th anniversary....soooooo tempted to go!

Don't even think about it. Just go. It's the best Christmas experience you can have. I saw them 4 Christmas' in a row in London. Fantastic nights.