Anyone heard of The Frames?

harmless_little_f***harmless_little_f*** Posts: 8,005
edited December 2006 in Other Music
Only just heard them, and they seem really good. Anyone know anything about them?
'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Irish AlIrish Al Posts: 6,236
    Yeah they're Irish...been around for years....some great songs some not so great.....the lead singer was in the Commitments (outspan I think he was called) :D Definitely a live band worth checkin out.

EDIT: Bell X1 are better IMO
    I need a coffee!
  • JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    Utter shite really... they have about two good songs and the rest blend into a big load of mlehhhh...

but indeed, they are Irish, and BellX1 are better
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • Jennytree wrote:
    Utter shite really... they have about two good songs and the rest blend into a big load of mlehhhh...

Hmm, I must try out this BellX1. I like The Frames so far.

Edit: Weird. Just listened to a few things by BellX1. I personally prefer The Frames. Different strokes I spose.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    I saw the guy that was in The Frames open for Damien Rice the other night with his new solo stuff. Guys name is Glen Hansard. Really good stuff.
  • Irish Al wrote:
    Yeah they're Irish...been around for years....some great songs some not so great.....the lead singer was in the Commitments (outspan I think he was called) :D Definitely a live band worth checkin out.
    Glen Hansard was in the Commitments??
    "What happens when so many people agree on something? Can we take this beyond the parking lot when we leave tonight?" -EV, Iconoclasts
  • TaftTaft Posts: 454
    Only just heard them, and they seem really good. Anyone know anything about them?

The Frames are my third favorite band after PJ and Radiohead, I fell in love with them about 2 years ago. They are amazing, and I have turned a lot of people onto them...

You are in for a great ride of you are just getting into them. Definitely get some live stuff, that is where they are at their best. Also, their new album "The Cost" was recorded live.

Check out there recent show on fabchannel.com, awesome!
    moster78 wrote:
    I saw the guy that was in The Frames open for Damien Rice the other night with his new solo stuff. Guys name is Glen Hansard. Really good stuff.

FYI, The Frames are still a band, and very active. Hansard is just doing a side project right now (which is great, I was at the Damien Rice show too). The Frames new album (The Cost) comes out in the US on Feburary 20th, and they will be touring the US in April/May.

Here is another link to them live, a few months ago at Lollapalooza:

http://blueroom.att.com/inc_mediaplayer/player.php?id=1883
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    Taft wrote:
    FYI, The Frames are still a band, and very active. Hansard is just doing a side project right now (which is great, I was at the Damien Rice show too). The Frames new album (The Cost) comes out in the US on Feburary 20th, and they will be touring the US in April/May.

Here is another link to them live, a few months ago at Lollapalooza:

http://blueroom.att.com/inc_mediaplayer/player.php?id=1883

Cool, I wasn't sure if they were still together or not, or if he was going solo. My roommate who I went to the show with has some of their stuff on CD. I need to give it a listen.

Side note, how amazing is Damien Rice? Seriously.
  • Taft wrote:
    The Frames are my third favorite band after PJ and Radiohead, I fell in love with them about 2 years ago. They are amazing, and I have turned a lot of people onto them...

You are in for a great ride of you are just getting into them. Definitely get some live stuff, that is where they are at their best. Also, their new album "The Cost" was recorded live.

Check out there recent show on fabchannel.com, awesome!

They work better live for sure. Te albums can drag a bit, at least "burn the maps"

but dance the devil and for the birds are brilliant. Great live band as well. love the way each song builds.
  • floyd1975floyd1975 Posts: 1,350
    They toured with Josh Ritter recently. Josh Ritter was really good.
  • the frames are good stuff. "for the birds" is a great album.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
    Glen Hansard was in the Commitments??

Yep
    I need a coffee!
  • Yep
    Like, the movie? Or were they an actual band? I don't remember...

Wow, no way. I will have to check that out. Thanks Irish Al!
    "What happens when so many people agree on something? Can we take this beyond the parking lot when we leave tonight?" -EV, Iconoclasts
    Like, the movie? Or were they an actual band? I don't remember...

Yes. He played the guitarist in the movie. I think the band played a few gigs but then glen said it was all bullshit and went back to the frames
    I need a coffee!
  • SchmaktSchmakt Posts: 207
    that IS pretty cool... Thanks :)
    2003-04-15: Raleigh, NC
    2003-04-16: Charlotte, NC
    2004-10-06: Asheville, NC
    2006-05-30: Washington, DC
    2006-08-29: Arnhem, The Netherlands
    2006-12-02: Honolulu, Hawaii
    2012-06-26: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    2012-09-22: Atlanta, GA
    2013-10-30: Charlotte, NC
    2014-01-19: Gold Coast, Australia
    2014-06-28: Stockholm, Sweden
    2014-06-29: Oslo, Norway
    2016-04-18: Hampton, VA
    2016-04-20: Raleigh, NC
    2016-04-21: Columbia, SC
    2018-07-01: Prague, Czech Republic
    2018-07-03: Krakow, Poland
    2018-09-04: Boston, MA
    2020-07-15: Budapest, Hungary
    2020-07-17: Zurich, Switzerland
    2023-09-19: Austin, TX
    Schmakt wrote:
    that IS pretty cool... Thanks :)

You're more than welcome :D
    I need a coffee!
    Just got some tickets to see The Frames in Boston in April, should be sick!
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    Frames are boring boring shite. They're decent enough live I guess but Glen Hansard is such a horrible smug fucker. There's a reason they haven't gotten noticed outside of Ireland in the last 15 years.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
    Glen Hansard's (lead man for the Frames) movie "Once" is the talk of the town at Sundance this week, widely considered the best movie at the festival:

http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com/entertainment_popmachine/2007/01/hey_we_loved_a_.html

Chicago Tribune-
    Mark Caro:
    What a film I saw last night. You'll read more about the amazing new Irish picture "Once" in Sunday's Tribune Arts & Entertainment section, but clearly it's the talk and the joy of this year's Sundance Film Festival. No American distributor yet, but unless the potential buyers have their heads up their lattes, it will sell and you will see it soon enough.

Shot with the breathless, fluid immediacy of an early French New Wave picture, filled with enough music to qualify it as a musical, director/screenwriter John Carney's tale of a Dublin street busker (Glen Hansard, of the Irish band The Frames) and a Czech-born immigrant (Marketa Irglova) is one of the best films about young love and young artists pouring their hearts into song I've seen in years.

Hansard was in the cast of "The Commitments," which certainly has its fans (including my brother-in-law, Gorman). But even in the bubble of a film festival, where moderately charming pictures play like gangbusters and then go on to international shrugs and obscurity, "Once" really does feel like a sleeper. Wednesday night's added screening was followed by a wee concert, which My Esteemed Colleague Mark Caro (M.E.C.M.C., pronounced "meck-mick") will relay to you in all its scruffy glory:

Joyous movie. You feel like you're out on the streets and in the cramped apartments and the instruments store and the recording studio with these characters as they make music together and capture each other's hearts. Ours, too.

No corny Hollywood stuff. No big Hollywood payoff. It feels just right. Everyone loved it, standing ovation for Hansard and Irglova went they came out afterward.

The movie is considered a hard sell.

Well, someone will wise up eventually. In the meantime, we'll always have Sundance (Em-Pee and I at least…).

The great part was that after director Carney and his stars answered questions at the screening (which had been added due to high demand), Hansard pulled out the same beaten-up guitar he plays in the movie, and he and Irglova sang two of the songs that they co-wrote and sing in the film.

For fhe first one they didn't use a microphone. The second one she sang her sweet, unaffected voice in the direction of a mic while she played Hansard's guitar. Because neither one of them had brought a capo, Hansard sang his harmonies while hanging over her shoulder holding a pen against one of the guitar's frets.

It sure beat seeing another movie about kids getting abused and/or killed.

P.S. Hansard and Irglova just got scheduled to play a set at the Music Café on Main Street Thursday afternoon – after Donovan
  • Huh, very cool. Yay for Glen! :)
  • fadafada Posts: 1,032
    Jennytree wrote:

The frames are a fine band but they single outputs have been far better than the album output of late.
    by the way what is there new album like?
    fada wrote:
    The frames are a fine band but they single outputs have been far better than the album output of late.
    by the way what is there new album like?

I think its great, mellow though. It was recorded live in the studio which gives it a very open/raw feel.
  • Taft wrote:
    The Frames new album (The Cost) comes out in the US on Feburary 20th, and they will be touring the US in April/May.

How fucking sweet would it be if they toured with Damien Rice again????
    Once won the audience award for best international film.

And in today's Chicago Tribune it was called the "best musical in a generation"!

http://metromix.chicagotribune.com/movies/mmx-0701280275jan28,0,3579939.story?coll=mmx-movies_heds

'Once' strikes a chord at Sundance
    Best musical in a generation
    By Michael Phillips
    Tribune movie critic

PARK CITY, Utah --
    From its first screenings here at the 2007 Sundance Film Festival, the micro-budget Irish film "Once," rejected by many a festival en route to Park City, has generated word-of-mouth bordering on euphoria. It's a marvelous film, described by writer-director John Carney as "a musical, maybe." It may well be the best music film of any stripe since "Stop Making Sense" a generation ago, and yes, that includes "Chicago" and "Dreamgirls."

"Once" stakes out its own storytelling realm, midway between concert film and conventional, break-into-song musical. Its simple story tells of a Dublin busker, played with great, unforced charm by Glen Hansard of the band The Frames. (The band tours internationally through May and, Hansard says, will come to Chicago sometime this spring.) The street musician meets a Czech-born street vendor (Marketa Irglova). The busker's girlfriend has gone off to London; the vendor, who also plays piano, supports a daughter and a mother and has a man back home. The guitarist and the pianist write and make music together, record an album, tip around the edges of a romance and then go on with their lives.

That's about it. And that scarcely describes the kind of happiness "Once" instills in an audience. (Chicago moviegoers should be able to see and hear it for themselves later this year, depending on who picks it up for American distribution, and when.)

Shot in under three weeks for less than $150,000, funded entirely by the Irish national film board, Carney's so-called "video album" has made the stars and the director the toast of Park City. A rough cut of "Once" played at two festivals last year, one in Galway, Ireland, the other in the Czech Republic.

Carney: "Toronto turned it down. Edinburgh turned it down. Telluride turned it down.

Thank God, really. Sundance has been amazing for us.

"The younger side of the industry, the agents and some of the acquisition people, they're responding to it. And then the major guys, who are just in town for a couple of nights -- nice suits; you can tell immediately they're successful film producers -- are coming up to us and saying the film is brilliant. It's very hard to figure out why, or what the secret recipe is."

Hansard and Irglova are a bit dizzy from the Sundance reception, and not just because they're at 7,000 feet above sea level.

"Overwhelming. I didn't sleep at all last night," says Hansard, sitting as upright as possible, poolside at the Marriott. "I rang my mother at home this morning, just wondering if everything was OK. I had one of those strange nights where you're not really sure what's up, you feel like something's vaguely wrong.

"And she says to me: `You know what it is, Glen? Everything's going your way, and you're just feeling guilty about it.'"

Carney developed "Once" in mind for established actor Cillian Murphy ("Red Eye"), with whom he had worked on a previous feature, for Universal, "On the Edge." But seeing the 36-year-old Hansard (who was in Alan Parker's film "The Commitments") and Irglova, all of 19, together onscreen, it's hard to imagine anyone else in the roles. The whole picture has an airy, just-making-it-up quality. Shot on digital with handheld cameras and long lenses, it resembles a documentary or an early French New Wave picture.

Carney acknowledges that "my first films were all about trying to rip off Truffaut. And then I suppose I grew up a little bit and realized I had to find my own voice. And then your influences manifest themselves in a much more unconscious way."

Carney's characters are getting by, but they're not exactly emblems of the current Irish economic boom. Irglova, a Czech Republic native who says she's "half-living" in Ireland at the moment, says "Once" is more an ode to "Dublin as it used to be a few years ago." She misses that friendlier, more welcoming Dublin; the new, forbiddingly pricey one, she says, is becoming far too Americanized.

"Once" is a very small picture, and there's a chance it could get lost in the marketplace once it leaves the bubble of the festival circuit. (Sundance programmer John Nein caught it at the Galway festival and became a fan.) On the other hand, Irglova says, it's hard to argue with the waves of love greeting this unique music film, which really does feel like one for the ages.

When he made "On the Edge" in 2001, Carney had his shot "at becoming a proper filmmaker. And I didn't love the experience. It wasn't in the way of the angry director trying to get his way, it wasn't that at all, but I just found it kind of soul-destroying and a bit disenchanting. I was trying too hard to make a film that would `break out'; I had too much of an agenda."

"Once" does not feel that way. "We're getting a really warm reaction to it everywhere," Irglova says. "The response isn't in any way intellectual; people are just responding with real affection."

mjphillips@tribune.com
  • AvocadoLadyAvocadoLady Posts: 680
    Anyone seeing them at the Metro tonight?
    Anyone seeing them at the Metro tonight?

I am going Sunday night in Somerville.
    Very cool! I'm excited to hear the new stuff live.
  • fadafada Posts: 1,032
    Hmm, I must try out this BellX1. I like The Frames so far.

Edit: Weird. Just listened to a few things by BellX1. I personally prefer The Frames. Different strokes I spose.
    Bellx one are a poor enough band, the frames are much better. Get Dance the devil its a brillant album.

has anyone got their latest album?
    Here is an article in today's Boston Herald on The Frames:

http://theedge.bostonherald.com/musicNews/view.bg?articleid=195501
    The show was very good, lots of energy as usual! They also covered a Magnetic Fields song and tagged "Lilac Wine" on "Fake".

Good stuff :)