Sigur Ros and Arcade Fire

harmless_little_f***harmless_little_f*** Posts: 8,005
edited December 2007 in Other Music
are fast becoming on a par with PJ for me..

time, and a couple more albums from each, will tell..
'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    I can't get into Sigur Ros. The whole fake language thing sounds like it was thought up by Lord of the Rings nerds (nothing against them, I love LOTR). Just feels a little pretentious at times.

Arcade Fire are brilliant though. After a couple more albums under their belt they'll probably become the #1 band in the country.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • DOSW wrote:
    I can't get into Sigur Ros. The whole fake language thing sounds like it was thought up by Lord of the Rings nerds (nothing against them, I love LOTR). Just feels a little pretentious at times.

I know exactly what you mean... it's certainly eccentric... I don't really care what the philosophy is, to be honest.. it's all not 'my' language, so it makes no difference to me... just beautiful music.
    DOSW wrote:
    Arcade Fire are brilliant though. After a couple more albums under their belt they'll probably become the #1 band in the country.

Well they really deserve to be.. I think they are the most authentic and passionate band around right now.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

• sigur ros are amazing. such beautiful landscaping music to fall asleep to.

arcade fire are great too but, i didn't like "neon bible" as much as "funeral." put it this way... i did a "list" of my favorite 50 albums i own on rate your music and "funeral" is number 1... "neon bible" is in the 30's or 40's... good album but just not "funeral."
    music. love. life.

the stickman's ghost: www.myspace.com/yield1914
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    sigur ros are amazing. such beautiful landscaping music to fall asleep to.

arcade fire are great too but, i didn't like "neon bible" as much as "funeral." put it this way... i did a "list" of my favorite 50 albums i own on rate your music and "funeral" is number 1... "neon bible" is in the 30's or 40's... good album but just not "funeral."

I think Funeral is a better album than Neon Bible, but I enjoy listening to Neon Bible more, if that makes any sense.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    DOSW wrote:
    I think Funeral is a better album than Neon Bible, but I enjoy listening to Neon Bible more, if that makes any sense.

I think Neon Bible is the better album but Funeral has the better songs, if that makes any sense.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,261
    theyre also the two bands that can put on live shows that are face-melting, which is another reason id agree with the idea of them being up there with PJ.

Sigur Ros managed to build a HUGE fanbase and reputation while staying fairly incognito in the press.
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    i've got 3 (agaetis byrjun, ( ), takk) sigur ros albums, i hardly ever feel like listening to their stuff. once I came accustomed to their sound it started sounding a bit bland and less impressive with every repeating listen.

i think arcade fire are excellent though.
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    boroff89 wrote:
    I think Neon Bible is the better album but Funeral has the better songs, if that makes any sense.

I'm intodeep and i support that statement 100% :)

I feel the same way.

I like Sigur Ros but they are no where near my fav. The whole not understanding the lyrics gets me a bit. Great music though.

Seeing Sigur Ros live though...... that is NEVER to be missed. I saw they once in a symphony hall it was amazing.

Arcade Fire also is a not to be missed live show. I've seen them twice and have been blown away both times.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Brilliant thread Harmless :D

and I agree, especially on Sigur Ros, although many people are getting mixed up over the whole made up language thing.....its NOT a made up language its just sounds, singing with no words, basically using his voice as an instrument, to me thats the opposite of pretentious....

ANYWAY, I fucking love their () album, so beautiful....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • Brilliant thread Harmless :D

and I agree, especially on Sigur Ros, although many people are getting mixed up over the whole made up language thing.....its NOT a made up language its just sounds, singing with no words, basically using his voice as an instrument, to me thats the opposite of pretentious....

ANYWAY, I fucking love their () album, so beautiful....

Right about everything you said there.. it's easy to forget what they're going for with the 'hopelandic' (I did temporarily) but you're right, it's not a language... there's nothing written down. I wouldn't be interested at all if they had done that. That would've been weird as hell. As it is though, it seems pretty natural.. we come into this world without words, just sounds and emotions. Why do we need words? Words don't communicate as much as we think they do... hence why so many people love Sigur Ros despite having no idea what they are singing...

• Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    DOSW wrote:

There's nothing pretentious about it, Jonsi just wants to use words that will help achieve the vocal sounds he wants. Voice as an instrument and all that. Besides, I can't tell the difference between Icelandic and Hopelandic anyway :)

Both are great bands.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    boroff89 wrote:

I absolutely agree! I've not seen the band in person, but I've got a few DVD's of various performances. I'm not a huge fan of the sound on Funeral, but the live versions give me chills.

I've never listened to Sigur Ros. I simply haven't been intrigued by anything I've read about them. Will have to give them a try eventually.
  • arcade fire
    best live band...period
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    soclose wrote:
    I absolutely agree! I've not seen the band in person, but I've got a few DVD's of various performances. I'm not a huge fan of the sound on Funeral, but the live versions give me chills.

I've never listened to Sigur Ros. I simply haven't been intrigued by anything I've read about them. Will have to give them a try eventually.
    How could you not be intrigued by what you've read? They are one of the most critically acclaimed bands of recent times. Whether or not you'll like them when you hear them, I would imagine that the press would be intriguing :p
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Haha, his (Jonsi's) actual lyrics on Agaetis Byrjun are just really weird anyway... I think it's cool that he's created a style of singing just to use his voice as an instrument, and I love how he describes it as the singing before getting to actual words... like the intermediate stage. I absolutely love Sigur Rós and just cannot get enough... I recently got Heima and love both discs to it... so great. This band has made me cry multiple times, and that's just by listening to the music, I wonder what'll happen when I eventually see them live, haha.

Arcade Fire is a really good band as well. I recently just got into them this past year though, so I haven't had that much time to digest... but after getting Funeral after listening to Neon Bible, I really love Funeral more... the "Neighborhood" tracks are just really interesting.

Now, I just need to experience these bands live... more Sigur Rós than Arcade Fire... well, more than any band.
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    this sigur ros dvd is the most amazing music dvd i've ever seen. if god wrote music and had the angels perform it, it would sound like sigur ros. i think i would lose my mind seeing them in concert. i was watching the song that closes the dvd and thinking that if i saw this on acid, i would never be the same person again... in a good way.
    this sigur ros dvd is the most amazing music dvd i've ever seen. if god wrote music and had the angels perform it, it would sound like sigur ros. i think i would lose my mind seeing them in concert. i was watching the song that closes the dvd and thinking that if i saw this on acid, i would never be the same person again... in a good way.

Oh that is out now?

Early Christmas gift to myself!
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • intodeep wrote:
    Oh that is out now?

Early Christmas gift to myself!

It's out in the UK, so... GO GO GO!

It's out in the UK, so... GO GO GO!
    It is out in the US too i just called a couple local stores and they don't have it though :(
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    intodeep wrote:
    It is out in the US too i just called a couple local stores and they don't have it though :(

they had it at best buy when i went.
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    i'm in awe of Arcade Fire.. i think they are one of the best bands of the last 15-20 years.

i bought Sigur Ros DVD based on some reviews and the fact heineken Helen wouldnt stop going on about them... its my xmas present from my wife.. if its shit i'm gonna ask Hells for the money back :)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646

thats a very comforting review Soulster... and i know you're not prone to hyperbole... and i remember our top 3 albums of all time being identical... i cant wait to fucking see this dvd now :D
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
    dunkman wrote:
    thats a very comforting review Soulster... and i know you're not prone to hyperbole... and i remember our top 3 albums of all time being identical... i cant wait to fucking see this dvd now :D

im not joking when i say it even made this hardened and cynical heart feel a little sentimental. they are something pretty special. a lot of really beautiful footage of iceland and its people, the band talking a bit about how surreal their fame has been, and live performances from all over their home country, playing in town squares, schools, with marching bands, everything. it's really cool. it's on the artsy side, but not in a pretentious way.
  • dunkman wrote:
    i'm in awe of Arcade Fire.. i think they are one of the best bands of the last 15-20 years.

i bought Sigur Ros DVD based on some reviews and the fact heineken Helen wouldnt stop going on about them... its my xmas present from my wife.. if its shit i'm gonna ask Hells for the money back :)

Dude if she likes reflective music in any way at all... she's be bowled over. trust me.

• MCGMCG Posts: 780
    I know nothing of Sigar Ros so I can't comment on that.

With Arcade Fire; 2 great records, but only having 2 albums makes it impossible for me personally to put them on par with PJ.

Part of PJ's allure is the fact that they have managed to put out a lot of great diverse music and have lasted longer than most bands do.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • I really loved how the children over there were at shows and actually paid attention to the music... fucking kids here in the States can't even pay attention to themselves pissing. So weird with different cultures... and those fucking stones that they used as a xylophone was fucking amazing.
    If I could, think I would give in.
    they had it at best buy when i went.

it is really strange i called 3 best buys in my area and they all told me it has been deleted from their system and they could not get any more. They said i could order it online

:(
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22

• Now, I just need to experience these bands live... more Sigur Rós than Arcade Fire... well, more than any band.
    :o seriously... sigur ros live are beyond words. I've never seen anything like it. On a completely DIFFERENT level to anything I've seen. I saw them in a really big tent at a festival and just had CHILLS... literally goosebumps... it was amazing.

Arcade Fire I really really like but I think sigur ros are out on their own.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you