Whats the best Black Keys album

harmless_little_f***harmless_little_f*** Posts: 8,005
edited February 2007 in Other Music
I think I might end up liking these guys. Simple, stripped down blues rock music. Niice. What should I go for first?
'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,891
    I saw them back in Novemeber at a small club here in Minneapolis. Great LOUD live rock band. My personal faves in order are

1. Magic Potion
    2. Rubber Factory
    3. Thickfreakness
    4. The Big Come Up
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • I'd go Thickfreakness, Rubber Factory, Magic Potion, and The Big Come Up. Then get the Moan and Chulahoma EPs.
  • 1. The Big Come Up
    2. Thickfreakness

these 2 are much better than rubber factory or magic potion.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • 1. Thickfreakness
    1b. Rubber Factory
    2. Chulahoma
    3. Magic Potion
    I share a cigarette with negativity.
  • I saw them on Conan a while back and was pretty impressed, but I'm confused about something. They're basically the same thing as the White Stripes, right? Which band came first, because it seems like one is blatantly ripping the other off...
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    I saw them on Conan a while back and was pretty impressed, but I'm confused about something. They're basically the same thing as the White Stripes, right? Which band came first, because it seems like one is blatantly ripping the other off...

if by basically the same you mean that both bands have just a guitarist and a drummer, then yes .
    but aside from that no. no way. to my ears they are different.
    i think we all know that if jack white could figure out some way to play drums and guitar at the same time then meg would be out. the dynamic between patrick carney and dan auerbach is different.
    besides, the black keys guitar is way dirtier than the white stripes. vocals are better too.
    go back and have another listen.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • they sound completely different from the white stripes
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • They're basically the same thing as the White Stripes, right? Which band came first, because it seems like one is blatantly ripping the other off...

They are the same in the way that the White Stripes are the same as Local H. While all three bands are guitar/drum duos, none of them really sound the same.
  • chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    Id heard of them before but for some reason i didnt think they were a rock band.... maybe the Black Eyed Peas came into my head or something, lol.

Just watched a couple of their vids on youtube, they're pretty damn good. The only comparison to the White Stripes is their get up. Musically its very bluesy to my ears.
    I dont like TWS but i might get and album or 2 from this band.
  • The comparisons to The White Stripes are only because of the guitarist and drummer scenario. They sound nothing alike. TWS either have great songs or just weird, out there, not so good songs. The Black Keys either have good or great songs. The drumming is and guitar is much more aggressive and the riffs are amazing. And the singer's voice is infectious to say the least. If just getting into the band check out Rubber Factory and Thickfreakness first or just listen to the 4 chronologically, it's cool to hear how they've evolved and just sharpened their sound. This is truly a great and underappreciated band that MUST open for PJ. They should really just become the permanent openers.
    "I don't wanna go, from Toronto!!!" - EV '06
  • All their albums are pretty great, but Rubber Factory is the best in my opinion. It has the most memorable guitar riffs and the strongest vocal melodies.
  • i got idi got id Posts: 867
    hendrix78 wrote:
    All their albums are pretty great, but Rubber Factory is the best in my opinion. It has the most memorable guitar riffs and the strongest vocal melodies.

agreed
  • 1) rubber factory
    2) thickfreakness
    3) the big come up
    4) magic potion
  • They're basically the same thing as the White Stripes, right? Which band came first, because it seems like one is blatantly ripping the other off...

the black keys are the white stripes

as

tool is to steely dan

just because they both got "the's" and colors in their name doesn't mean they sound the same.
  • wcsmithwcsmith Posts: 165
    The Black Keys are absolutely incredible. Saw them live in Asheville a few years back and they rocked hard. I would say that my favorites are either The Big Come Up or Rubber Factory. I haven't listened to Magic Potion as much yet, but I did happen to get Genesis' The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway the day after I got Magic Potion, and I'm in a real Genesis place right now.

Anyway, listen to the lead singer (Dan Auerbach?) - sounds a little like Paul Rodgers, no? (in his kick-ass Free days). And if you haven't heard anything from Free (except for Alright Now, good but overplayed), listen to I'm A Mover, Woman, Catch a Train - awesome stuff...
    "I'll ride the wave where it takes me"
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    wcsmith wrote:
    The Black Keys are absolutely incredible. Saw them live in Asheville a few years back and they rocked hard. I would say that my favorites are either The Big Come Up or Rubber Factory. I haven't listened to Magic Potion as much yet, but I did happen to get Genesis' The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway the day after I got Magic Potion, and I'm in a real Genesis place right now.

Anyway, listen to the lead singer (Dan Auerbach?) - sounds a little like Paul Rodgers, no? (in his kick-ass Free days). And if you haven't heard anything from Free (except for Alright Now, good but overplayed), listen to I'm A Mover, Woman, Catch a Train - awesome stuff...

yes the singer is dan auerbach.

i saw them a couple of years ago at a club and i thought they were brilliant. still do actually. the gig i was at is the one they put out on DVD.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • I'm a HUGE Keys fan! My collection is ridiculous! Anyway, it's hard for me to pick a favorite album, but Rubber Factory might be their most accessible album, Magic Potion probably shows their greatest range, and Chulahoma is the single greatest tribute/cover album (EP) of all time.

As a bigtime Junior Kimbrough fan myself, I must say that the Keys bring something to the music of their #1 influence that is just mind blowing. And Junior's influence shines through all of their music. I highly recommend his catalog for all Keys fans.
    <a href="http://www.shawnsmithsinger.com">Shawn Smith</a> / <a href="http://www.thebandbrad.com">Brad</a&gt; / <a href="http://www.allhailthecrown.com">All Hail the Crown</a> / <a href="http://www.satchelpartnership.com">Satchel</a&gt;

(Shawn Smith's official website, but not Thee Shawn Smith)
  • I just downloaded Magic Potion and Rubber Factory, and I'm quite impressed. I'm happy to see I was wrong about them being a White Stripes knock-off. At first glance, they do look very similar, and they even seem to have used the same name template of The + color + plural object, but they do definitely have their own sound and I'm really digging it. Thanks for the recommendation, all.
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    they rock! i haven't gotten to see them live yet, however.
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • I think if you start with Rubber Factory you'll get hooked instantly. The songs on that album are the catchiest. Then you should check out Magic Potion, Thickfreakness, and the Big Come Up, in that order. That's just my suggestion.
    "This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence" - The Young Ones
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    i'm glad i searched for a thread on these guys, just listened to a couple of songs and i'm intrigued, i really like their sound. i'll have to check out the albums mentioned here
  • leafs4everleafs4ever Posts: 833
    I've been hearing about these guys for awhile now so i decided i'd give one of their cd's a listen... and it's incredible! I just listened to Magic Potion and i was hooked after the 1st song, i think i might go out tomorrow and buy a couple of their cds.
    "I'll ride the wave where it takes me"
    09/19/05, 05/09/06, 05/10/06
  • mdigenakismdigenakis Posts: 1,337
    I saw them for the first time on the "Bonnaroo 2004: We have arrived" special on Sundance channel. They are god-awesome and by far stole that particular show for me. I still have yet to buy one of their albums, but i will soon rectify that.
    "Don't let the darkness eat you up..."

-Greg Dulli