Anyone heard of 'Skinny Puppy'?

harmless_little_f***harmless_little_f*** Posts: 8,005
edited March 2007 in Other Music
Right. I've pretty quickly got very into Nine Inch Nails. I've just heard that they were heaviliy influenced by an earlier industrial band 'Skinny Puppy'. Are this band worth listening to?
'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Don't worry about it actually. Just went into their Myspace. NIN inspirations or not, they kind of sucked. :D
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

• Dick JonesDick Jones Posts: 777
    I was gonna say they suck. But that wouldn't matter, I think NIN sucks.
    Are you too good to tango with the poor poor boys?
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    their output was pretty spotty. Rabies was their best work IMO.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Skinny Puppy is good. like a previous poster said, their output is spotty. Rabies, The Process, Mind-The Perpetual Intercourse, and Vivasection i believe are all good. they have a best of too. Brap is good. it's all good man, but it is very very weird. take all the melody out of NIN and add very primative electronics/noise and Ogre singing/talking about who knows what and that's Skinny Puppy.
    if you like NiN listen to Ministry. they also have a best-of called Greatest Fits. their best records are The Mind Is A Terrible Thing To Taste, In Case You Didn't Feel Like Showing Up (Live), Psalm 69, Filth Pig, Dark Side of The Spoon (i like it) and Animositisomina. some of their newer stuff is okay but nothing like the old. Ministry is more speed metal industrial but very very good. Reznor actually did the vocals for Ministry's side band 1,000 Homo DJs' cover of Black Sabbath's "Supernaut". the Trent vocal version (without effects) is on the Wax Trax! Black Box three disc set. it's very hit or miss. also check out Pigface's album Gub for an early version of the NIN classic "Suck"-from Broken.
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    I dont mind a few of their tracks... I listened to them a little more when i was 19... I'd say if you want to check out a great band that influenced NIN it would be the mighty Ministry!

The goth kids in south park really dig Skinny Puppy
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • bharQ wrote:
    I dont mind a few of their tracks... I listened to them a little more when i was 19... I'd say if you want to check out a great band that influenced NIN it would be the mighty Ministry!

The goth kids in south park really dig Skinny Puppy

LOL yeah I remember skinny puppy from South Park if I think about it; I didn't know what they were talking about, I do now.

Right, Mininstry. I'll check em out. I have a couple of mates who like em. Thanks. :)